Euro 96

TheGoon

This was also the first time I could remember Spain going into a tournament with everyone thinking they had a chance of winning it, only to bottle it. Which they did every two years until 2008.

Guest JTS98
9 minutes ago, sjc said:

I was a student in Manchester at the time. The Scotland v England game was the same day as the IRA decided to blow the Arndale centre up!

"They're absolutely raging and they want some folk to die,

Cos Ireland urnae playing cos they didnae qualify..."

Edited by JTS98

England's win over Scotland, was their first win at the Euros since 1980, they didn't qualify for 84, lost every game in 88 including two 3-1 defeats, then managed two draws in 92. Football really did start in 1996  

Guest JTS98
23 minutes ago, Torpar said:

England's win over Scotland, was their first win at the Euros since 1980, they didn't qualify for 84, lost every game in 88 including two 3-1 defeats, then managed two draws in 92. Football really did start in 1996  

England still don't really win many games at tournaments. And they tend to only beat the weaker sides, you could argue they haven't had a major scalp at a tournament since they beat Argentina in 2002.

From the 'Golden Generation' era up to the present day their 90-minute tournament victories have come against the following:

2018 - Panama, Tunisia, Sweden.

2016 - Wales

2014 - Nae c**t

2012 - Ukraine and Sweden

2010 - Slovenia

2008 - DNQ

2006 - Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Ecuador.

2004 - Switzerland and Croatia

It could be argued that since England basically never beat any of the highest-ranked teams in tournament football that their perceived growth in status is simply a result of tournaments getting bigger and England dealing with the cannon fodder before failing against the type of opposition they have more or less always failed against.

Since Euro 88 England's European Championship par has remained the last 8. One better performance at home and a couple of poorer ones. But they're generally your last 8 mob. The competition has moved around them rather than them changing much in terms of performance.

Edited by JTS98

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Berti Vogts was the Germany manager at that tournament.

His career went on a bit of a downward trajectory after that...

The reason I didn't fancy him for the Scotland job was that he apparently remained quite unpopular in Germany despite winning this tournament. General consensus was that they won it despite him.

Edit: also, the Germans supposedly used to hate their national team. It's only been in recent years they've had widespread support from Germans nationwide. Odd.

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

This was also the first time I could remember Spain going into a tournament with everyone thinking they had a chance of winning it, only to bottle it. Which they did every two years until 2008.

Starting with 1982, my entire childhood was Spain bottling big tournaments despite being in the 'dark horse' group of sides who were considered talented enough to go all the way.

We used to be in that group, according to some pundits. I think that was always a bit optimistic.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

Guest JTS98
19 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

That Spain team from 96 doesn't look to be the strongest. Looks like it has quite a few jobbers in it (relatively speaking!).

I think they were more unlucky than anything else.

Watch their game with England when ITV show it. Spain were the better side and only the offside flag kept them out of the semi-finals. They were unlucky with a few decisions in that game.

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

Watch their game with England when ITV show it. Spain were the better side and only the offside flag kept them out of the semi-finals. They were unlucky with a few decisions in that game.

I might just. Never saw it on TV at the time (unsure why!).

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

Been a long time, but did they not have two goals disallowed?

I seem to remember them riding England raw, but you have to take your chances, I suppose. The Netherlands absolutely pummelled us at times; one of the hardest-fought draws Scotland have ever managed.

Guest JTS98
6 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Been a long time, but did they not have two goals disallowed?

I seem to remember them riding England raw, but you have to take your chances, I suppose. The Netherlands absolutely pummelled us at times; one of the hardest-fought draws Scotland have ever managed.

Two disallowed, at least one of which was onside. Spain also had a couple of penalty shouts.

First disallowed goal is offside, just. Second one is not even close to being offside. Trevor Brooking even pointed out in commentary that he was 'level'. He's actually better than level.

Edited by JTS98

Just now, JTS98 said:

Two disallowed, at least one of which was onside. Spain also had a couple of penalty shouts.

Yeah, I've never quite understood why some England fans think their teams have been unlucky over the years. Generally they've had a rub of the green before they've arrived at their losing penalty shoot-outs.

Guest JTS98
12 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Yeah, I've never quite understood why some England fans think their teams have been unlucky over the years. Generally they've had a rub of the green before they've arrived at their losing penalty shoot-outs.

They certainly do very well in the draw at most tournaments. You'd often struggle to hand-pick an easier group than what England end up with in terms of getting to the next stage.

That's why I felt the criticism they received in 2014 was unfair. It was the first time in ages they'd had to play good teams in the group stage. It should have surprised nobody that they failed to beat Italy and Uruguay, meaning their Costa Rica game was meaningless. They basically never beat teams of that level.

Poor old Roy took a level of stick for that which was unfair in that it compared that performance to the relative cake-walk groups they'd had in 2006 and 2010.

The England game at Wembley was the start of the half time party. Blues Brothers and Madness etc songs all came on. England fans couldn't believe what they were seeing. 7000 Scotland fans bouncing. 0 0 at the time if only Durie put that header away and the baw did nae move when Gary Mac took that penalty. Aye yet another hard luck Scotland story 🙄

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Berti Vogts was the Germany manager at that tournament.

His career went on a bit of a downward trajectory after that...

Did he not manage some absolute diddies that nearly lost to the Faroe Islands?

Who were they again?

36 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Did he not manage some absolute diddies that nearly lost to the Faroe Islands?

Who were they again?

They were (and remain) such an irrelevant team that I can't recall their name

The England game at Wembley was the start of the half time party. Blues Brothers and Madness etc songs all came on. England fans couldn't believe what they were seeing. 7000 Scotland fans bouncing. 0 0 at the time if only Durie put that header away and the baw did nae move when Gary Mac took that penalty. Aye yet another hard luck Scotland story [emoji849]
Rockin all over the world was some bounce too.