The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, CaspianChris said:

Boycott the Well game

Boycott the Well game

Boycott the Well game

Those frauds and charlatans deserve no support at Fir Park

For a change why not actually back your club when things get difficult rather than being fair weather supporters?   In fact why not just use this old flyer as a way to protest at the match?  A bit of Tipp-Ex over the word Thompson and a few other bits, add in a few players’ names and you’re good to go.  Who knows, it could be fun.  In fact it could be big fun!

IMG_2545.jpeg

Edited by Shadow Play

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

United's demise was nothing to do with Goodwin. He clearly made an arse of it at Aberdeen but he's a tiny footnote in United's shameful season. 

I wouldn't say he had nothing to do with it - when he was appointed United were 4 adrift with, what, 11 games to go? Up until very recently everyone was saying this was a team that were 'too good to go down'. 

Would you keep him on? 

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

I wouldn't say he had nothing to do with it - when he was appointed United were 4 adrift with, what, 11 games to go? Up until very recently everyone was saying this was a team that were 'too good to go down'. 

Would you keep him on? 

Fcuk no!

Bring in this lad as player/manager 😁

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65705567

Not sure if Utd will stick with Goodwin, but he’s desperate to stay at the club as he knows it’s his best chance of managing in the top division again. At Aberdeen, he took too long to get some decent central defenders in, and I’m not sure he will be able to convince enough good players to sign on at Tannadice. Have to worry about his judgement as he (allegedly) thought Motherwell were a lost cause, whilst he was convinced he could keep Utd up…

In a way it's harsh to judge a manager who hasn't had a transfer window to change things. The standard of defending and of course goalkeeping has been the same all season and there's little Goodwin could have done to change that.

He doesn't strike me as a manager who can get a team fired up though, which is half the battle. It was evident at Aberdeen too.

Strange in a way how as a player he would steam about elbowing folk in the teeth all day long, but as a manager his teams couldn't fight their way out a wet paper bag.

2 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

In a way it's harsh to judge a manager who hasn't had a transfer window to change things. The standard of defending and of course goalkeeping has been the same all season and there's little Goodwin could have done to change that.

He doesn't strike me as a manager who can get a team fired up though, which is half the battle. It was evident at Aberdeen too.

Strange in a way how as a player he would steam about elbowing folk in the teeth all day long, but as a manager his teams couldn't fight their way out a wet paper bag.

All true but it must be difficult trying to get the likes of Harkes, Levitt and McGrath to get stuck in. The vast majority of that squad are just completely unsuited for any sort of physical confrontation. 

Forgive me for harking back to Craig Levein (again), but I will always remember his first game in charge.

The previous week we had got pumped 5-1 by Falkirk and with just a few days to prepare the players, it was like watching a different team as he organised the defence and we ran out 2-1 winners against Rangers.

In the last few weeks we have been horrific at the back and allied that with playing zero fitba other than hoofing the ball, I see no indication to have any faith in Goodwin going forward.

Others talk about soft players, but counter to that, shite though they have played, we have some players who are theoretically pretty good on the ball (comparatively) but have never attempted to utilise this.

Maybe I'm imagining things but I seem to recall immediately after Killie's second or third goal, we passed it about and created a good chance - but that was almost an act of desperation - playing fitba!

6 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Forgive me for harking back to Craig Levein (again), but I will always remember his first game in charge.

The previous week we had got pumped 5-1 by Falkirk and with just a few days to prepare the players, it was like watching a different team as he organised the defence and we ran out 2-1 winners against Rangers.

In the last few weeks we have been horrific at the back and allied that with playing zero fitba other than hoofing the ball, I see no indication to have any faith in Goodwin going forward.

Others talk about soft players, but counter to that, shite though they have played, we have some players who are theoretically pretty good on the ball (comparatively) but have never attempted to utilise this.

Maybe I'm imagining things but I seem to recall immediately after Killie's second or third goal, we passed it about and created a good chance - but that was almost an act of desperation - playing fitba!

Given how solid Uniteds defence was the season before, granted I'm not sure how many changes in defence there has been, I'm surprised three managers (or two and a half) haven't managed to get a tune out them.

14 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Fucking hell, man. No offence but this is insight of a "fire is hot", "tories are cunts" standard. Our record against Killie tells us absolutely nothing that we didn't know already from .. everything else. No shit, Killie are garbage and beat us several times, likewise County, the Johnnies, Livi, etc, etc. Pretty much the only teams we didn't embarrass ourselves against are Hibs and Rangers. Everyone else was there on at least one occasion when made an absolute cunt of ourselves (and we got beat by each of them at least once too, but in a more "normal" manner).

Edit: Actually, did we lose to Hibs this season? Maybe not. Ooft.

You gave us a right doing at Tannadice.

Although we won the other 2 games, you "won" 5-4 on aggregate.

1 minute ago, Pens_Dark said:

Given how solid Uniteds defence was the season before, granted I'm not sure how many changes in defence there has been, I'm surprised three managers (or two and a half) haven't managed to get a tune out them.

That was based on three things:

1. The keeper. Benji was excellent, his back-up (Carson) also very good. The two replacements are literally the worst keepers to ever play professional football and I say that having seen Michal Szromnick, Luis Zwick and Paul Jarvie.
  2. Two solid centre halves - one's legs have gone and the other's brain.
  3. Two (one after January) ball winners in midfield in front of them. This season we don't have a single dedicated ball winner in the entire squad.

Just now, Pull My Strings said:

That was based on three things:

1. The keeper. Benji was excellent, his back-up (Carson) also very good. The two replacements are literally the worst keepers to ever play professional football and I say that having seen Michal Szromnick, Luis Zwick and Paul Jarvie.
  2. Two solid centre halves - one's legs have gone and the other's brain.
  3. Two (one after January) ball winners in midfield in front of them. This season we don't have a single dedicated ball winner in the entire squad.

Yeah I suppose the link between defence of keeper and midfield enforcer in Fuchs and Butcher was a massive difference. 

2 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

It’s because he’s always been a shitebag kiddy on hard man

8 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Seems so obvious to us mere punters, so how come Ross, Fox and Goodwin couldn’t see it?

The decisions were being made elsewhere in the building by a man who apparently thought he knew better. The window had long since closed before Goodwin came in and that man fucked off.