The Dundee United Thread 22/23

36 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Goodwin is a decent manager.

I'm afraid I can't agree.

Goodwin is a decent bloke, but he's a shit manager, and worse than that he's got a monumentally shit coach as his no. 2.

Unless Utd. have got a scouting genius as head of recruitment, I'd be worried.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Two years. Two fcuking years. They've given him a two year fcuking contract!

I'd say it defies belief, but at this point it just doesn't.

Can you hate your own club? I think I'm just about there. Well, that's not true. I hate those running the club and those making the decisions. Not entirely sure who they are though,

He would never have signed a one year contract. I tend to think his salary will reflect that, plus have clauses in should we (inevitably?) sack him.

Think he maybe mor suited to working in the championship and take you guys straight back up. That’ll depend on who you guys can bring in and get rid of from the current squad 

The comments about Goodwin being a decent manager - what is that based on exactly?

He's been kept on because United are going to be in the Championship. Anything other than the title next season for them would be pretty galling and Goodwin will be under pressure by October/November if they're not top of the league.

48 minutes ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

Goodwin is a decent bloke, but he's a shit manager, and worse than that he's got a monumentally shit coach as his no. 2.

Goodwin is very good in the press. I also think he is good at identifying good players. However, he is a poor coach and so struggles to get them to play. He Is stubborn and doesn’t correct his mistakes. He needs a proper assistant, who is not his brother in law, to act as a coach and sound board.

46 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The criticism of Goodwin is laughable.  Pep Guardiola could have taken over United following the Ashgar/Fox shit show and would have struggled to avoid relegation.

Keep deluding yourself. Motherwell were all but relegated this season. We brought in Kettlewell and are now 16 points ahead. 

Your squad has players that most teams outside the Old Firm would love to have. 

At the very least a capable Manager would have led United to 10th. He has failed. And failed spectacularly. 

I get why you would want to convince yourself otherwise. But he has been shit pure and simple. 

27 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Keep deluding yourself. Motherwell were all but relegated this season. We brought in Kettlewell and are now 16 points ahead. 

At the very least a capable Manager would have led United to 10th. He has failed. And failed spectacularly. 

I get why you would want to convince yourself otherwise. But he has been shit pure and simple. 

To be fair, you're omitting the fact that Motherwell made a fair number of signings in the transfer window, which closed just a week or so before Kettlewell took charge, while United brought in one.

Your point about how our squad has players most teams outside the Old Firm would love to have is true, but together they do not amount to a good team, and I doubt anyone would have had us better than 10th, which is literally only 4 points above where we are.

United this season has been a perfect example on how not to recruit a team. Talented individuals most of them may be, but there's zero fight there. It didn't go unnoticed to any United fan that Calum Butcher signing for you made an impact, because he's exactly the sort of player a team needs. We have none of that, not a player like KVV.

Edited by SGMilne

Goodwins a slavering gobshite whos convinced hes one of the best managers in the Country, so its no surprise Ogren has fallen for his pitch.

I can live with it being Goodwin and it's good that we've made a decision early. I can see why those who don't follow United might scoff (and I scoffed my arse off at his travails at Aberdeen) but I don't personally think that this is down to Goodwin. We've lost so many goals due to bizarre goalkeeping and other individual errors, things which you really can't account for. Players wandering off their line and saying "after you Claude" to the opposition, standing on their goalline with the ball at their feet and contemplating the meaning of life, remarkably beating four players in your own box and then deciding to dribble around another couple for shits and giggles. Their heads are fucked and have been fucked all season and he didn't recruit these guys or f**k their heads.

If Goodwin has correctly diagnosed the problems (the keepers are shite, most of the defenders are shite, there are no ball winners and an appalling lack of depth up front) then I'm prepared to see how he goes about fixing the problem. An early announcement at least suggests that he and the owner are on the same page and we can expect decisions to be made promptly. Better that than letting a (potentially/arguably) decent guy walk away and then having to filter through the usual jokers and chancers whilst other teams are  preparing for the new season.

Edit: Hey Homer, rather than running around red dotting opinions you don't agree with, how about you post a polite rebuttal you bell-end. We might make progress that way.

NB. Not really, I've had you blocked for ages you boring, fucking knob.

Edited by Pull My Strings

I'm surprised he's been kept on. I thought Tam Courts might've fancied a crack at a promotion push. Realistically though, would there be many better mangers falling over themselves to take this job? A bit of stability is probably welcome.

I'd have Goodwin before any current Championship managers. 

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Goodwins a slavering gobshite whos convinced hes one of the best managers in the Country, so its no surprise Ogren has fallen for his pitch.

You've got his card marked though.

Boredom: 1

Massively successful businessman: 0

With just a bit more luck you could have been the guy making these sorts of decisions.

Just now, houston_bud said:

I'm surprised he's been kept on. I thought Tam Courts might've fancied a crack at a promotion push. Realistically though, would there be many better mangers falling over themselves to take this job? A bit of stability is probably welcome.

I'd have Goodwin before any current Championship managers. 

Courts can get fucked. Proper weirdo and the football was boring as f**k (albeit well organised, etc.).

Fairly happy with Goodwin getting the job, it's an early appointment which hopefully means we start our recruitment early for a change, and it appears he will have complete control on that front, having had the squad's glaring deficiencies made horrifyingly clear.

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Yup