The Dundee United Thread 22/23

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I can live with it being Goodwin and it's good that we've made a decision early. I can see why those who don't follow United might scoff (and I scoffed my arse off at his travails at Aberdeen) but I don't personally think that this is down to Goodwin. We've lost so many goals due to bizarre goalkeeping and other individual errors, things which you really can't account for. Players wandering off their line and saying "after you Claude" to the opposition, standing on their goalline with the ball at their feet and contemplating the meaning of life, remarkably beating four players in your own box and then deciding to dribble around another couple for shits and giggles. Their heads are fucked and have been fucked all season and he didn't recruit these guys or f**k their heads.

If Goodwin has correctly diagnosed the problems (the keepers are shite, most of the defenders are shite, there are no ball winners and an appalling lack of depth up front) then I'm prepared to see how he goes about fixing the problem. An early announcement at least suggests that he and the owner are on the same page and we can expect decisions to be made promptly. Better that than letting a (potentially/arguably) decent guy walk away and then having to filter through the usual jokers and chancers whilst other teams are  preparing for the new season.

Edit: Hey Homer, rather than running around red dotting opinions you don't agree with, how about you post a polite rebuttal you bell-end. We might make progress that way.

NB. Not really, I've had you blocked for ages you boring, fucking knob.

Unfortunately, he correctly diagnosed a similar problem at Pittodrie and failed to fix it.  And aside from some horrific recruitment (feel free to have Anthony Stewart as a gift from us)two of the biggest problems we had under Goodwin was a lack of dig (as someone said earlier why he couldn't get players to play more like he did?), I've never seen so many players stand off the opposition and we never played as a team. Be interested to know if this was different from his St Mirren team.

3 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

The comments about Goodwin being a decent manager - what is that based on exactly?

He's been kept on because United are going to be in the Championship. Anything other than the title next season for them would be pretty galling and Goodwin will be under pressure by October/November if they're not top of the league.

I think Goodwin has shown enough evidence overall to suggest that he's a decent manager - that's why he was appointed by Aberdeen in the first place. The issue is that after bombing at Aberdeen he has stepped almost immediately into another large job and made a rip-roaring c**t of it. Regardless of 'but... signings' mewling, Dundee United's fate was in their own hands at the split and the results against the other bottom six teams have been chronic. That does indeed put Goodwin under enormous pressure going into next season, as he's already burned through most goodwill available to him.

It's possible that he'll turn things around (and will no doubt have a healthy budget to do so), but I can't think of too many Scottish football managers who have gone down with the ship while wearing giant clownshoes and end up being vindicated soon afterwards. 

7 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

You've got his card marked though.

Boredom: 1

Massively successful businessman: 0

With just a bit more luck you could have been the guy making these sorts of decisions.

Ogren might be a "successful businessman" but its very much clear he has no idea how to run a football club successfully and his hires are about who has the best pitch rather than whos the best candidate.

I can comment on that, despite not being a successful businessman, in much the same way i could say a brain surgeon done a shite job if they chopped someones head off.

6 hours ago, chopface said:

Unfortunately, he correctly diagnosed a similar problem at Pittodrie and failed to fix it.  And aside from some horrific recruitment (feel free to have Anthony Stewart as a gift from us)two of the biggest problems we had under Goodwin was a lack of dig (as someone said earlier why he couldn't get players to play more like he did?), I've never seen so many players stand off the opposition and we never played as a team. Be interested to know if this was different from his St Mirren team.

I don't think a lack of dig is a criticism that could be levelled at Goodwin from his time as St Mirren manager.

In fact a lot of his signings; Shaughnessy, McCarthy, Fraser, Foley, Gogic, Power, were all players where their determination was a key part of their game.

One criticism that a lot of Saints fans would have is that he was unwilling to change things when we were on a bad run. Seems that has continued.

Ogren has clearly taken a "better the devil you know" approach. I'm yet to be convinced, but we'll see. 

This is the first time since 2019 that we will start a new season with the same manager who finished the old one...

Aside from whether Goodwin is a good appointment or not, I'm pleasantly surprised we've acted so soon.

Last summer, after the Ross County game the club went into hibernation for weeks, so I'm hoping this indicates a more pro-active approach during the summer. Season 2023/24 really does begin tomorrow and announcements on who's staying and who's leaving should be in the next few days 

11 hours ago, welldaft said:

Keep deluding yourself. Motherwell were all but relegated this season. We brought in Kettlewell and are now 16 points ahead. 

Your squad has players that most teams outside the Old Firm would love to have. 

At the very least a capable Manager would have led United to 10th. He has failed. And failed spectacularly. 

I get why you would want to convince yourself otherwise. But he has been shit pure and simple. 

You don't have a dodgy keeper who constantly throws points. That saps confidence out of a team especially the defence. A half decent keeper we wouldn't be in this position. 

16 minutes ago, arabdelic said:

You don't have a dodgy keeper who constantly throws points. That saps confidence out of a team especially the defence. A half decent keeper we wouldn't be in this position. 

I don’t know, your centre halves have been liabilities and nobody seems to have done anything about it.  Including Goodwin.  

He might have signed a two year deal, but in reality it’s a one year deal as he’ll get his jotters if you don’t come back up next season.  

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ogren might be a "successful businessman" but its very much clear he has no idea how to run a football club successfully and his hires are about who has the best pitch rather than whos the best candidate.

I can comment on that, despite not being a successful businessman, in much the same way i could say a brain surgeon done a shite job if they chopped someones head off.

Ach now, come on. The suggestion was that you're a much more astute judge of character than Ogren not that you'd be better at running a football club.

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I don’t know, your centre halves have been liabilities and nobody seems to have done anything about it.  Including Goodwin.  

He might have signed a two year deal, but in reality it’s a one year deal as he’ll get his jotters if you don’t come back up next season.  

Yes they have been. The goalkeeping calamaties have magnified this. So you are beginning to see what Goodwin was having to work with. 

United were sitting bottom at the end of the January transfer window and actually weakened the squad while teams around us brought players in. Every United fan knew we needed to strengthen in January window in key positions. The failure to do so especially the keeper is what has relegated us. 

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Ach now, come on. The suggestion was that you're a much more astute judge of character than Ogren not that you'd be better at running a football club.

Probably shouldnt have made the comparison about who "makes the decisions", if that were true.

I don't think anyone can convince me there wasn't a better keeper sitting in the house unemployed who'd be up for a 6 game contract shop window manoeuvre.

One less f**k up and we may have been able to survive today. Several and we could have be sitting clear.

Our defence could have consisted of Cannavaro, Nesta, Narey and Maldini and they'd struggle to keep a clean sheet with that honking excuse of a keeper we have.