The Dundee United Thread 22/23

4 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I imagine the likes of McGrath, Levitt, Middleton etc will jump at the chance of walking out.

You'll have folk like Pawlett or Fletcher probably sticking around as they're on there last biggish paydays. (Fletcher will be an excellent player in the Championship).

Absolutely wild that if Levitt, Watt, Behich, Middleton don't want to stay, they'll just rip up contracts there and then.

They must have spent the guts of a million quid on those four along between transfer fees and wages and Goodwin's out there going, 'Aye, we'll rip your deal up'.

Mental!

3 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Why would anyone want their contract ripped up when they know they could negotiate a pay off?  They will all know that United can’t afford to keep them and they will be unlikely to get as good a deal anywhere else.

Levitt most certainly will.

27 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Genuine question- have United fans seen any improvement under Goodwin as, from the outside, it doesn't seem like it? Particularly when you've just lost all five of your post-split games, giving him a two year deal seems really odd.

Yeah, from my perspective we have improved in terms of structure, patterns of play and intensity under Goodwin. I preferred to build a new shed this afternoon than watch another game so can't comment how that went but otherwise we do look better, albeit there seems to be a madness gripping the players the last few weeks. I'll put that down to a chronic lack of confidence and one guy in particular almost deliberately fucking things about. 

In a season filled with hilarity, what takes the crown for best f**k up? 

For me and probably many supporters of Tayside's finest, it will be the rather glorious Stevie May tackle goal. 

I'm not sure it would be possible to top that as the funniest goal I've ever seen. 

32 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I've just seen the Goodwin interview. It's an incredibly bold statement to come out and say "if you have a contract but want to leave it fine, just come to me and we will rip up your contract."

This approach from Goodwin is exactly what is needed at Tannadice and makes perfect sense. Clear out the rubbish that got United relegated and make additional room in the squad for fresh blood that Goodwin wants.

1 minute ago, Paris Hilltoon said:

In a season filled with hilarity, what takes the crown for best f**k up? 

For me and probably many supporters of Tayside's finest, it will be the rather glorious Stevie May tackle goal. 

I'm not sure it would be possible to top that as the funniest goal I've ever seen. 

You would think that was the most ludicrous but it doesn't even stand out on its own. We've genuinely seen half a dozen goals like that this season, with another dozen just behind them in terms of outright incompetence/comedic self harm. 

Check out the first goal v County in the very next game, the first goal v Livi, all three goals v County at home, the first two goals v Killie at home and there are many, many more. If some guys eventually get caught and imprisoned for deliberately throwing these games I hope we'll get an asterisk v our relegation season.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Absolutely wild that if Levitt, Watt, Behich, Middleton don't want to stay, they'll just rip up contracts there and then.

They must have spent the guts of a million quid on those four along between transfer fees and wages and Goodwin's out there going, 'Aye, we'll rip your deal up'.

Mental!

Spent money is dead money. No point in continuing to spunk big wages on a group of players that weren't good enough to prevent United being relegated to the Championship. Offload and rebuild a squad to match a Championship club's budget.

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This approach from Goodwin is exactly what is needed at Tannadice and makes perfect sense. Clear out the rubbish that got United relegated and make additional room in the squad for fresh blood that Goodwin wants.

Yeah, there's not a single first team player who wouldn't be waved on their way. I like Levitt, Behic, Middleton and Fletcher but these guys will all be on a good wage and have been part of the most ridiculous shitshow. If they want to go, then they can f**k off. Same goes for pretty much all the rest of them (albeit there are young guys who haven't played and so can't be held responsible - they're welcome to stay).

I'm sure Goodwin would be delighted if every single c**t left and he has a clean slate to start again with.

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Mental!

Obviously it's not wild that they'd rip up Watt's contract. 

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Spent money is dead money. No point in continuing to spunk big wages on a group of players that weren't good enough to prevent United being relegated to the Championship. Offload and rebuild a squad to match a Championship club's budget.

But Goodwin isn't emptying them. Any of the guys who are on big money will stick around for the big money or the pay offs. The players who will walk will be the ones you should have got transfer fees for - or sell on fees and the manger is just walking about telling folk they can walk for free.

12 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yeah, there's not a single first team player who wouldn't be waved on their way. I like Levitt, Behic, Middleton and Fletcher but these guys will all be on a good wage and have been part of the most ridiculous shitshow. If they want to go, then they can f**k off. Same goes for pretty much all the rest of them (albeit there are young guys who haven't played and so can't be held responsible - they're welcome to stay).

I'm sure Goodwin would be delighted if every single c**t left and he has a clean slate to start again with.

These players should be ashamed of themselves. Esp Fletcher and his daft fckn haircut. Mad Max of the Championship...

Goodwin can quite rightly axe the dross.

I'm a wee bit taken aback at Goodwin getting the job confirmed for two years officially last night, then I wonder if it's all as open as that.

Perhaps he was given a contract of sorts until 2025 as far back as late February, 3 months ago. Reports suggest otherwise, although I also wonder if the club is being totally transparent, in the same manner as we were told Asghar had 'stepped down' from his position as Sporting Director.

At some point I hope clarity will emerge regarding some of the puzzling club matters this season.

56 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

You would think that was the most ludicrous but it doesn't even stand out on its own. We've genuinely seen half a dozen goals like that this season, with another dozen just behind them in terms of outright incompetence/comedic self harm. 

Although the goal itself wasn't especially hilarious, I'd still nominate Shankland's opener in the 4-1 defeat at Tynecastle in August as an early stand-out moment. Fresh off the back of the 7-0 thrashing from Alkmaar and looking to bounce back, we instead concede in the first minute to our former striker.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Only if it's the players who want to leave that take you up on it.

1 hour ago, Derry Alli said:

You'll have folk like Pawlett or Fletcher probably sticking around as they're on there last biggish paydays. (Fletcher will be an excellent player in the Championship).

Pawlett started five games this year and is out of contract. We'd be out of our minds to offer sicknote another deal....

so you know what that means!