The Dundee United Thread 22/23

On 24/07/2022 at 00:56, RossBFaeDundee said:

Serious trouble of what, getting 6th place? You lads have nothing to worry about this season, I'm certain of it.

On 24/07/2022 at 08:03, Mark Connolly said:

People tipping us to do well gives me the fear

Always go with your gut 🤣🤣🤣

8 hours ago, Paris Hilltoon said:

In a season filled with hilarity, what takes the crown for best f**k up? 

For me and probably many supporters of Tayside's finest, it will be the rather glorious Stevie May tackle goal. 

I'm not sure it would be possible to top that as the funniest goal I've ever seen. 

Those types of goals always look hilarious, but you do tend to see a few of them each season even at a much higher level.

My personal favourite defensive achievement this season is the 3 identical goals we shipped from long balls, where 3 different goalkeepers made the same rash decision to run into no mans land leaving the goal gaping behind them.

I doubt we'll ever see the likes again.

10 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I think they must have as they announced the visiting support as something like 682 but it didn't look anywhere near that. Buying tickets and then finding something more appealing to do on a sunny day would probably be the explanation. 

The Big Weekend or Fir Park when we're already relegated? Not a difficult decision.

13 hours ago, Wilbur said:

This approach from Goodwin is exactly what is needed at Tannadice and makes perfect sense. Clear out the rubbish that got United relegated and make additional room in the squad for fresh blood rubbish that Goodwin wants.

FTFY

13 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yeah, there's not a single first team player who wouldn't be waved on their way. I like Levitt, Behic, Middleton and Fletcher but these guys will all be on a good wage and have been part of the most ridiculous shitshow. If they want to go, then they can f**k off. Same goes for pretty much all the rest of them (albeit there are young guys who haven't played and so can't be held responsible - they're welcome to stay).

I'm sure Goodwin would be delighted if every single c**t left and he has a clean slate to start again with.

They’ve all been part of the shitshow but that doesn’t mean they all share equal blame.  Some players have kept putting in the effort, others have long given up.

That said outwith the youngsters the only two I’d really care about keeping would be Behich and Sibbald and I cannot see the former wanting to play in the Championship.  Fletcher has been excellent but his age is against him.

Any chance you guys can let Logan Chalmers go? We will take him in a heartbeat. Our football was nearly as bad as yours since Xmas. Guess when you took Chalmers back???? You can have any of our heartless has-beens apart from Akinyemi. We refuse to take Mulgrew, as he is a poison. 

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

They’ve all been part of the shitshow but that doesn’t mean they all share equal blame.  Some players have kept putting in the effort, others have long given up.

That said outwith the youngsters the only two I’d really care about keeping would be Behich and Sibbald and I cannot see the former wanting to play in the Championship.  Fletcher has been excellent but his age is against him.

I reckon Fletcher has more than enough in the tank to play well at Championship level - whether he wants to or whether we can afford to pay him is another matter. If he sticks around, it would be nice if the manager could explain to the rest of the team that they're allowed to play it into his feet rather than launching it every time.

Pawlett, Edwards, Smith, Harkes, Newman and Fotheringham are (as far as I'm aware) out of contract. None should be kept.

Mulgrew, Djoum, Birighitti and Anaku need to be persuaded to leave. Niskanen and McMann are both pretty crap but also both pretty committed and could probably do a job in the Championship so I wouldn't pay them off.

I'd bring Watt back if he wanted to come back. It's unlikely.

Behich and Levitt would be kept if they wanted to stay. It's unlikely.

McGrath and Ayina were loans. Let's presume they're not coming back.

Graham, Chalmers, Mochrie, Glass, Cudjoe and Meekison all have a year on their contract and while I don't expect any of them to be playing Premiership fitba in 24/25 I'd have them in the squad next season.

That leaves Sibbald, Freeman, MacLeod and Middleton, who I'd keep.

So out of the ones I'd keep (and it's more than most I bet) I'd have maybe half a dozen as starters. Lots of work to be done on the recruitment front.

Edited by ArabFC

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

I reckon Fletcher has more than enough in the tank to play well at Championship level - whether he wants to or whether we can afford to pay him is another matter. If he sticks around, it would be nice if the manager could explain to the rest of the team that they're allowed to play it into his feet rather than launching it every time.

Pawlett, Edwards, Smith, Harkes, Newman and Fotheringham are out of contract. None should be kept.

Mulgrew, Djoum, Birighitti and Anaku need to be persuaded to leave. Niskanen and McMann are both pretty crap but also both pretty committed and could probably do a job in the Championship so I wouldn't pay them off.

Graham, Chalmers, Mochrie, Glass, Cudjoe and Meekison all have a year on their contract and while I don't expect any of them to be playing Premiership fitba in 24/25 I'd have them in the squad next season.

So out of the ones I'd keep (and it's more than most I bet) I'd have maybe half a dozen as starters. Lots of work to be done on the recruitment front.

Kai Fotheringham signed a new deal afaik.

For the umpteenth transfer window in a row, the priorities are a competent goalkeeper, a big dirty centre half, a hard b*****d centre midfielder, and a goalscorer.

Looking forward to the influx of wing-backs who can't defend, and attacking midfielders who create nothing and can't tackle

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Pawlett, Edwards, Smith, Harkes, Newman and Fotheringham are (as far as I'm aware) out of contract. None should be kept.

United won't pay off Anaku, he'll be on low wages and he has a cruciate injury.

Watt was part of the "management committee" with Mullgrew, Clark & Smith. Nope.not for me, caused too much bither behind the scenes. Could get aa more effective player for less outlay. A team player rather than yet another individual.

Smith has signed a pre-contract, ifn he stories are true, can't remember who with.

Edwards already confirmed as away by Goodwin

Fletcher's wages are being covered  by JF Kegs guys. Would assume partly rather than fully.

I think Birighitti will be trying to return to Australia. Not short of offers there, but will depend on his wife who is Scottish.

If Pawlett was given a pay as you play deal wouldn't object, one of the few players we had that looked like he wanted to create, drive forward and win, but can see exactly why he could be away.

Niskanen, I would love to see actually played on the left wing, not right back, not left back, actually in his normal position and used to run onto quick balls in behind a defence, but I doubt that would happen.

Graham, Freeman, McMann, Levitt as well as Niskanen all players who went backwards this year. The first 4 shadows of the players last season. If they can recover then they could be useful.

Newman, would keep as back up. Saku will be back from loan too.

Mulgrew certainly leads the never want to see again catagory, can add Watt to that, would also like a new goalkeeper coach. That's two stints he has had and both times our keepers with good reputations have gone to shit and wee have been relegated. Obviously it is not all on him but he has a "track record".

10 minutes ago, Girth said:

Sounds like absolute chaos at United. 

Perhaps Goodwin is planning on kicking everyone out!?

He has all the man management skills of David Brent.

I cannot emphasise enough how shite a manager he is.

A complete & utter fraud. 😆

What is in his favour is that he’s in as poor a Championship as there’s been in a long time.