The Dundee United Thread 22/23

31 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

I'm never comfortable when we make "big" signings - with the exception of Shankland (who was, technically at least, a free signing) I can't off the top of my head remember the last time that a big name worked out well.  I'm thinking back to the days when we spent 100k on Collin Samuel, 275k on Lee Miller, 6k a week on Derek McInnes, ex-Champions League winner Sinima Pongolle etc.  And don't even get me started on Alex Mathie. 

Micky Mellon was on the BBC English football podcast the other week, and cited Norwood as one of his biggest success stories at Tranmere - that he had given up on a bumper contract but turned things around and got himself a lucrative move to Ipswich.  He obviously didn't expand on what lucrative was, but he implied that it was life-changing. 

With an already over-inflated salary structure, there is no way that we should be trying to compete with that... 

Let's agree to disagree, my friend, because...

Great idea!

A very quick bit of digging and I found this for here

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/how-salary-cap-could-affect-ipswich-1-6782272

Basically, all contracts signed before the salary cap’s introduction will be treated as the league’s current average – that’s £1,300 a week (£67,600 pa).

So even though, for example, James Norwood earns more than five times that amount, the remainder of his two-year deal will be treated as £1,300 a week for the salary cap purposes.

So hes on about £8k a week id guess. There or there abouts.

In the English 3rd tier.

Where teams literally amount to nothing.

No Europe, no cups, no National Champions, just a couple of promotion places to another league thats a league away from the big time. 

A league in which Paul Lambert can still gain employment and earn miles more than any club in Scotland outside the 2 could afford.

No wonder football is fucking fucked.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

26 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Apparently it’s Fleetwood in for him. £900k plus add ons.

Fleetwood are in League One which just introduced a wage cap and they had an average attendance of 3,130 last season.

I'm struggling to see how Shankland would view that as a good career move.

53 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Apparently it’s Fleetwood in for him. £900k plus add ons.

Must be £900k per goal last season?

Maybe even £900k per month for the next 2 years?

Id even settle for £900k per m2 of forehead.

Someone at Fleetwood is obviously having a mental breakdown of some sort.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

6 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

900k for Shankland ahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha

This

ETA imagine he goes down there, scored 11 goals in a season then theyll  get about £394858591392 from Brentford upon Sheffield Brom on Hove Super Mare Tuesday Athletic.

f**k off.

Edited by mishtergrolsch