The Dundee United Thread 22/23

58 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

If it means we stay up, or even sneak into the top six (and I still can't believe that's where we currently sit), then I can accept eye-bleeding football from mediocre players.

I'm struggling to handle getting horsed at home by fucking St Mirren as an acceptable part of that journey. Last night was unacceptable, and if it had been in normal circumstances, I'd have been heading down to the GF Lower to start booing. In fact, the club need to provide some sort of virtual booing section if that sort of shite is going to continue.

Its innovation like this we need at the moment.

Get the booing pumped through the PA system at Tannadice and let the players have the real Tannadice experience. Should help the mental health of our long suffering fans.

5 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Its innovation like this we need at the moment.

Get the booing pumped through the PA system at Tannadice and let the players have the real Tannadice experience. Should help the mental health of our long suffering fans.

£5 extra on the stream price if you want to be able to have your booing transmitted back to Tannadice, £10 to include swearing.

Interesting to see you guys mention Livi as a lot of our fans do that as well but they are just an absolute exception to the rule. I have no idea how they do it but they get a performance that is far beyond the sum of their parts.
Livi fans might argue otherwise but average players go there and become bloody exceptional.

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Is it extra to pick certain players or staff?

You can have an unlimited Connolly+Harkes+Pawlett abuse set for £1k for the season

ETA: This also includes the abuse being recorded and played at every training session

Edited by Mark Connolly

7 hours ago, Torfason said:

Interesting to see you guys mention Livi as a lot of our fans do that as well but they are just an absolute exception to the rule. I have no idea how they do it but they get a performance that is far beyond the sum of their parts.
Livi fans might argue otherwise but average players go there and become bloody exceptional.

We're one of the only teams in Scotland to use almost fully data based recruitment. We have an extensive database of targets and use that to find like for like (or better) replacements. 

Players that seem average come to us, despite putting in phenomenal numbers under the radar. Things like xG, % of shots allowed from area of influence, % of aerial duels won and interception stats factor heavily. 

As far as I know Brentford down south are big on the same thing. For us it started in League 1 when Martindale took up Head of Recruitment, possibly due to not having many connections in the game and having to rely on stats only. I know @TheGersReport on Twitter advised us on a few signings back in League 1, namely Lithgow who despite playing in League 1 with Airdrie, Clyde etc was putting up Premiership standard levels/numbers. Scott Robinson another one that showed scary numbers at East Fife - both incidentally players with baggage and got a second chance at Livi.

Announcement regarding loan agreements for Premiership clubs coming today.

Seems to be -

- 0% interest
- Delayed payments for a year
- 20 year repayment period
- Up to £1.7 million (some have reported anything between £1.5 and £1.7)

I would assume United (and others) will jump at this.

2 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Any good?

He’s hardly played at all, but when he has he’s not looked good enough (even in the championship).  Was a strange decision to hand him a 3 year deal.

He must have showed promise at some point as Swansea paid a fee to sign him from Hearts when he was pretty young.

1 hour ago, Rover1990 said:

Any good?

He's rubbish.

1 hour ago, Loemba90 said:

He’s hardly played at all, but when he has he’s not looked good enough (even in the championship).  Was a strange decision to hand him a 3 year deal.

He must have showed promise at some point as Swansea paid a fee to sign him from Hearts when he was pretty young.

Or they just took a punt on a boy that looked semi competent,  realised he wasn't going to make it and punted him.

Like the vast majority of young players these days unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

Is Mellon wasting Shankland?

Mellon is the manager of the club, which he's trying to keep in the division, but his tactics aren't suiting Shankland, as it's not really his game to be looking for the ball inside his own half, as an example. It's probably fair to say Mellon isn't playing to Shankland's strengths, due to weaknesses in the overall squad.

According to the ever excellent Arab Archive website, he has made two starts (one of which was in the Irn Bru Cup) and nine substitute appearances in near enough two years.

https://www.arabarchive.co.uk/player.php?id=1960

What a strange, pointless signing he was. A three year deal as well. Yikes.