The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 minute ago, Dunfermline Arab said:

Yep. Was on the bench on Saturday. He's obviously making an impression on Courts and co. He's another player that'll inevitably pass through Tannadice in a year or so, but he's one of many young players who are now looking at Scotland as a great stepping stone to England. Could go on to make us a million quid or so, but could be a great 'case study' for other foreign youngsters to sign for us who will get some game time and compliment the academy graduates.

I didn't even notice he was on the bench 🤣

2 hours ago, captainkev said:

I'm disappointed to see Appéré go, he really looked like a prospect in the Championship but he's just never really got going after promotion. I do partly blame Mellon for stalling his progress last season. I always thought Shankland worked best up top alongside Appéré, but never felt Mellon gave Louis a real run of games to show it. He'd always revert to shoving Clark, McNulty and Shankland together instead, despite it rarely working.

That being said, Louis has had opportunities this season and too often not taken advantage of them. So perhaps a change of scenery will do him a bit of good.

At any rate good luck to him, hope he kicks on regardless of whether we've got a sell on fee. His cracking goal in the Championship 6-2 derby was probably one of my favourites of that season.

His opportunities have always been out on the left though, and maybe I’m just reading this wrong but everything about him screams centre forward to me. He doesn’t have the pace, trickery or final ball to make a good wide player but he is big, has good technique to hold up the ball and had a decent finish.

We’ll see. I’m not 100% sure he will make it at a decent level but he’s got potential which I don’t reckon we ever tested.

18 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

His opportunities have always been out on the left though, and maybe I’m just reading this wrong but everything about him screams centre forward to me. He doesn’t have the pace, trickery or final ball to make a good wide player but he is big, has good technique to hold up the ball and had a decent finish.

We’ll see. I’m not 100% sure he will make it at a decent level but he’s got potential which I don’t reckon we ever tested.

I agree. He's a striker, not a winger/wide attacker, but sadly he's been repeatedly shunted out there by 3 consecutive managers anyway.

I would argue he's got a decent cross on him, but he got success in games drifting out wide to use it. As you said, he's not particularly pacey or tricksy, so when he was actually asked to play wide he'd frequently struggle to beat his man. Too often he'd also get bullied far too easily by defenders despite his size, which in fairness has often been a problem when he's played as a lone striker too.

When he was played up top in a front two, particularly alongside Shankland, he'd usually be much more productive. For me the 3-0 win against Livi at Tannadice in which both Clark and McNulty were dropped was one of our best performances last season. It showed what Appéré and Shankland offered as a pairing. It's a pity Mellon didn't think it was worth persevering with.

I'm still optimistic he's got the potential to kick on. Just perhaps not quite as much as I was after the Championship winning season.

Nothing official about Glass. Is he still with us then?

Since Watt's signing it's been a poor window. Get the impression we've put a lot of cash into getting him in the door, and it's left us more than a little short. 

Akinola might turn out to be a good player, but I can't get overly excited about developing another team's player, especially when he'll be playing alongsidee another player who belongs to someone else. It also, peculiarly, doesn't tally up with the club strategy of bringing in our young players to eventually sell on. 

38 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Since Watt's signing it's been a poor window. Get the impression we've put a lot of cash into getting him in the door, and it's left us more than a little short. 

Akinola might turn out to be a good player, but I can't get overly excited about developing another team's player, especially when he'll be playing alongsidee another player who belongs to someone else. It also, peculiarly, doesn't tally up with the club strategy of bringing in our young players to eventually sell on. 

Having absolutely zero knowledge about the new boy my guess is this -

He will be stronger than a fleet of oxen, fast and look the part.

He will be very good technically. 

He will have no idea how to play first team football and struggle for the first 6 - 8 weeks looking more lost than the cast of Lost being lost at sea.

Then end up being largely similar in quality to what we already have.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

According to Scott Burns, Glass will be joining Killie on loan shortly. 

I still can't get my head around this. Unless they are planning on giving a lot more time to the likes of Mochrie, Meekison and Moore for example. 

9 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I didn't even notice he was on the bench 🤣

In your defence, Cudjoe's tiny.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Having absolutely zero knowledge about the new boy my guess is this -

He will be stronger than a fleet of oxen, fast and look the part.

He will be very good technically. 

He will have no idea how to play first team football and struggle for the first 6 - 8 weeks looking more lost than the cast of Lost being lost at sea.

Then end up being largely similar in quality to what we already have.

Akinola's not much taller than Cudjoe.

1 hour ago, Finn Seemann said:

Very unimpressive window.  Victory tonight required to give us something to be happy about.

Realistically, we got cash for a player who wasn't interested in staying, cash for a lad who never settled to a regular run in the team under five different managers, and a lot of cash for a young lad with five starts at Tannadice (Fuchs, Appéré and Smith).

Of course we'd like to see our own players stay longer and prosper at the club, but the football world has changed, for the worse for fans like us.

Coming in we've had a Finnish internationalist goalkeeper to replace Seigrist who reportedly priced himself out of a move with wage demands, the highest league scorer at the time from a top 6 rival club, and a loanee from Arsenal.

The final day didn't have the excitement craved, and it's disappointing to an extent to see a lot of our younger guys go on loan, but it's worked out well in the past for the likes of Johnny Russell and the controversial David Goodwillie.

It looks like Kevin McDonald is coming in too, plus perhaps another who became a free agent recently. 

I don't think that's unimpressive.

19 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Realistically, we got cash for a player who wasn't interested in staying, cash for a lad who never settled to a regular run in the team under five different managers, and a lot of cash for a young lad with five starts at Tannadice (Fuchs, Appéré and Smith).

Of course we'd like to see our own players stay longer and prosper at the club, but the football world has changed, for the worse for fans like us.

Coming in we've had a Finnish internationalist goalkeeper to replace Seigrist who reportedly priced himself out of a move with wage demands, the highest league scorer at the time from a top 6 rival club, and a loanee from Arsenal.

The final day didn't have the excitement craved, and it's disappointing to an extent to see a lot of our younger guys go on loan, but it's worked out well in the past for the likes of Johnny Russell and the controversial David Goodwillie.

It looks like Kevin McDonald is coming in too, plus perhaps another who became a free agent recently. 

If we bring in a couple of free agents it changes the picture, but as things stand I agree that it’s unimpressive.

52 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

That's all very well, but I measure the success on what it leaves us to put on the field and on the bench and on that measure you can't argue we haven' taken a fairly big step backwards.  

The point on free agents is fair enough, but we need more than McDonald (who has to be the very definition of gamble - and does not fit the 'vision').  The boy Barker being mentioned doesn't make a lost of sense as he's a left winger is he not?  Anyway he's speaking to Hibs so that will be that.

Happy to be surprised, but I'll stick with unimpressive.

Edited by Finn Seemann

40 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If we bring in a couple of free agents it changes the picture, but as things stand I agree that it’s unimpressive.

That's one now, is the picture altering a bit? 

10 minutes ago, Finn Seemann said:

That's all very well, but I measure the success on what it leaves us to put on the field and on the bench and on that measure you can't argue we haven' taken a fairly big step backwards.  

The point on free agents is fair enough, but we need more than McDonald (who has to be the very definition of gamble - and does not fit the 'vision').  The boy Barker being mentioned doesn't make a lost of sense as he's a left winger is he not?  Anyway he's speaking to Hibs so that will be that.

Happy to be surprised, but I'll stick with unimpressive.

Fair enough, we all see things differently. I'd be impressed if we went out and spent big, but I'd be less than delighted if we went tits up.

59 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

That's one now, is the picture altering a bit? 

Fair enough, we all see things differently. I'd be impressed if we went out and spent big, but I'd be less than delighted if we went tits up.

My issue goes back to the 'vision'.  We are not going to make money from the kids if we don't play them.  We need a core of good quality players to accommodate progressing the kids if that is what we are trying to do (which I am not wholly in agreement with but that is the 'vision').  Putting them all out on loan and bringing in other team's kids at one end and potentially passed it ex-Dees at the other just doesn't smack of there being any kind of plan.  That is the bit that distresses me most.  I have feared from day one of this regime that they don't really know what they are doing.  This window just makes me more concerned.

I am definitely not asking them to spend big - anyone can see we don't have the cash and all the outgoings with nothing much to replace them proves that.  I'd just like to understand what the direction of travel is as they seem to say one thing and do another.

Edited by Finn Seemann

4 hours ago, Finn Seemann said:

Very unimpressive window.  Victory tonight required to give us something to be happy about.

Watt - quality signing

Eriksson - on paper a good sensible signing

McDonald - hopefully a quality signing

I'm all on the Tony hate train but we've had much worse windows!