The Dundee United Thread 22/23

54 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Appere confirmed away to Northampton. 

Hopefully he kicks on there and develops so we get a future sell on fee. 

Hopefully he kicks on, but any future fee we'd get from a Northampton sale would be negligible. 

8 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I think if we've got any sort of fee for Appere we've done well.  Just hasn't kicked on at all in the last couple of years and I suspect he's peaked already in terms of World Famous football clubs. 

Sad that he didn't kick on.  Looked great in the championship and in cameos against top flight teams but seems to be another that suffers from not having an obvious preferred position.

Best of luck to the lad anyway.

2 minutes ago, Wieghortsnut said:

I would have liked us to have taken Appere, always impressed me when I seen him

Really? one of the most baffling parts of that championship season was watching Appere tear apart every full back in the league then utterly shite it against Cammy Kerr of all people.

Guest Wieghortsnut
9 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Really? one of the most baffling parts of that championship season was watching Appere tear apart every full back in the league then utterly shite it against Cammy Kerr of all people.

Honestly thought he was decent but you boys would have seen him more than me so my opinion might not hold much value

I'm disappointed to see Appéré go, he really looked like a prospect in the Championship but he's just never really got going after promotion. I do partly blame Mellon for stalling his progress last season. I always thought Shankland worked best up top alongside Appéré, but never felt Mellon gave Louis a real run of games to show it. He'd always revert to shoving Clark, McNulty and Shankland together instead, despite it rarely working.

That being said, Louis has had opportunities this season and too often not taken advantage of them. So perhaps a change of scenery will do him a bit of good.

At any rate good luck to him, hope he kicks on regardless of whether we've got a sell on fee. His cracking goal in the Championship 6-2 derby was probably one of my favourites of that season.

Edited by captainkev

7 minutes ago, captainkev said:

I'm disappointed to see Appéré go, he really looked like a prospect in the Championship but he's just never really got going after promotion. I do partly blame Mellon for stalling his progress last season. I always thought Shankland worked best up top alongside Appéré, but never felt Mellon gave Louis a real run of games to show it. He'd always revert to shoving Clark, McNulty and Shankland together instead, despite it rarely working.

That being said, Louis has had opportunities this season and too often not taken advantage of them. So perhaps a change of scenery will do him a bit of good.

At any rate good luck to him, hope he kicks on regardless of whether we've got a sell on fee. His cracking goal in the Championship 6-2 derby was probably one of my favourites of that season.

Yeah, that's all fair. My earlier post was a bit ungenerous. I like Louis, just not convinced.

I must say that I was expecting a bit more today. There's been at least 10 out this window and only 3 in. Fair enough only Fuchs was a first pick but still I had it in mind that they were clearing the decks to get another couple of big players in today. One young guy in from Arsenal is a bit underwhelming really.

Sounds like McDonald and maybe another free agent might come in after the window shuts which is something, I suppose.

39 minutes ago, Finn Seemann said:

Really baffling window again from United.  Can't say I'm impressed.  We seem to have really cut the squad to the bone this time if all the supposed loan deals play through as we expect.  

Yeah, same here.  I’m not convinced that we have a stronger squad with as much depth as before the window.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah, same here.  I’m not convinced that we have a stronger squad with as much depth as before the window.

We've certainly not got the same depth, absolutely no question. Watt v Fuchs is arguable in terms of strengthening the first choice XI but beyond that we're down about 6 squad players, net , and most of these guys have played quite a lot of minutes this season.

Perhaps Courts feels that Archie Meekison, Chris Mochrie and perhaps even Cudjoe are the ones to kick on. 

In fairness, there's absolutely no way United can give every one of these academy graduates a game, so our only senior losses have been:

Fuchs, Connolly, Reynolds, Chalmers and Appere. Chalmers and Appere have been away from properly challenging for the first team for some time. Fuchs has been temporarily replaced by Akinola, Watt is definitely an improvement up front and McDonald will lift the level in the middle of the park.

We've seemingly kept Benji, which is brilliant business. Look at his Celtic display. 

I fancy United have failed to pin down a signing or two, but sticks to their ethos of making sure the funds are spent wisely and on targets who are going to improve the team.

2 minutes ago, Dunfermline Arab said:

Perhaps Courts feels that Archie Meekison, Chris Mochrie and perhaps even Cudjoe are the ones to kick on. 

In fairness, there's absolutely no way United can give every one of these academy graduates a game, so our only senior losses have been:

Fuchs, Connolly, Reynolds, Chalmers and Appere. Chalmers and Appere have been away from properly challenging for the first team for some time. Fuchs has been temporarily replaced by Akinola, Watt is definitely an improvement up front and McDonald will lift the level in the middle of the park.

We've seemingly kept Benji, which is brilliant business. Look at his Celtic display. 

I fancy United have failed to pin down a signing or two, but sticks to their ethos of making sure the funds are spent wisely and on targets who are going to improve the team.

Interedting you mention Cudjoe 

https://mobile.footballghana.com/ghanaian-teen-mathew-anim-cudjoe-ready-to-play-for-scottish-side-dundee-united-after-receiving-work-permit?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

2 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Yep. Was on the bench on Saturday. He's obviously making an impression on Courts and co. He's another player that'll inevitably pass through Tannadice in a year or so, but he's one of many young players who are now looking at Scotland as a great stepping stone to England. Could go on to make us a million quid or so, but could be a great 'case study' for other foreign youngsters to sign for us who will get some game time and compliment the academy graduates.