The Dundee United Thread 22/23

6 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

As someone who has personal experience of a kidney transplant I’d just like to wish Kevin McDonald all the best. Hope it works out for him at United emoji106.png

Sure that would be welcomed by him Biscuits.  As someone who is ignorant of these things, (and assuming you are not!), is it fairly unusual to see someone bounce back to a physically demanding job such as a pro footballer after a kidney transplant?  Is he pushing the boundaries or is it not that unusual?  Assuming you are the transplantee or donor hope its all going well with you or if it is someone close, them.  All the best...

Sure that would be welcomed by him Biscuits.  As someone who is ignorant of these things, (and assuming you are not!), is it fairly unusual to see someone bounce back to a physically demanding job such as a pro footballer after a kidney transplant?  Is he pushing the boundaries or is it not that unusual?  Assuming you are the transplantee or donor hope its all going well with you or if it is someone close, them.  All the best...
My wife got a kidney transplant 3 years ago. Basically saved her life. She can now do pretty much everything that she couldn't do before.

However she wasn't and never has been a professional athlete. Obviously Kevin's level of fitness before he had issues was completely different to hers - impossible to say how fit he is now.

But having read interviews from him he seems a really sound guy who will know himself whether he is up to the job.

Genuinely hope it works out for him.

57 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

My wife got a kidney transplant 3 years ago. Basically saved her life. She can now do pretty much everything that she couldn't do before.

However she wasn't and never has been a professional athlete. Obviously Kevin's level of fitness before he had issues was completely different to hers - impossible to say how fit he is now.

But having read interviews from him he seems a really sound guy who will know himself whether he is up to the job.

Genuinely hope it works out for him.

Cheers for that and good to hear it worked for your Mrs.  We've got friends whose son was born needing a liver transplant.  He was really ill and was touch and go for many years.  At 14 he's now playing in a Sunday League football team and is leading a normal life.  Such a joy to see him on the pitch.

Another tedious, eye-bleeding performance. Now failed to score in 11 of 25 league games this season.

6th in the league currently (we'll finish 9th at best) so everything will be rosy for Tony and co at this current point in the journey concomitant with the synergised project being implemented.

Just watching the Alba broadcast. How long will Courts keep sending United out to play in exactly the same manner? It doesn't matter the personnel on the park, its the tactics, the style of play that is all wrong, every single bloody game! How he sees this as acceptable I do not know

Admittedly I have not seen the whole game, but I am watching it, and have read comment on it. The Sun's reporter stated in the match report

"And that proved too much for a large band of traveling supporters, who rather harshly booed their team off at the final whistle.   "

If you have watch the same level of performance, with no drive, intensity and what looks like a lack of desire to win, aalong with no belief your team will take a shot never mind score for 11 games ( I'll be kind and not include Covid hit Rangers game and last weeks Celtic game) its anything but harsh at all.

If we hadn't had that purple patch we'd be along side Dundee & Saints and probably a good shout for relegation. Have you ever seen a team that seemms to think its unfair to attack until the opposition are all back in play?

Its just shite on the park pure and simple!

I'm agreeing with all the criticisms of Tam and his style of play, yet, I look throughout the league and see dissatisfaction with every clubs' fans at their managers, apart from Postecoglou at Parkhead. Robbie N at Hearts still draws criticism from their fans, who recognise he's been heavily funded to get the team where it is.

Can't see a change taking place this season, but in the imaginary world, if Tam was being replaced, who would anyone suggest?

15 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Can't see a change taking place this season, but in the imaginary world, if Tam was being replaced, who would anyone suggest?

Tam Courts of the first Rangers game, Hibs away etc would be fine, in fact any one that isn't bloody scared to attack, someone who sets the team up with an intensity & desire to win etc.

1 hour ago, Tannadeechee said:

How long will Courts keep sending United out to play in exactly the same manner? It doesn't matter the personnel on the park, its the tactics, the style of play that is all wrong, every single bloody game!

We play in the same manner - what’s that? I have no idea what we’re trying to do.

He reminds me of Jackie McNamara - I always had the sense he did nothing other than name a starting XI, formation and say ‘good luck lads’. Only Jackie was blessed with good players - Tam, not so much!

Assuming we neither finish the season in scorching form and qualify for Europe or collapse completely and get relegated it will be interesting to see Asghar’s reaction. Given that when he allowed Mellon to move on he made it abundantly clear that the style of play was unacceptable if Courts continues as manager Asghar will come across as a bit of a hypocrite. 

19 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

We play in the same manner - what’s that? I have no idea what we’re trying to do.

He reminds me of Jackie McNamara - I always had the sense he did nothing other than name a starting XI, formation and say ‘good luck lads’. Only Jackie was blessed with good players - Tam, not so much!

Really obvious to me..earlier in the season, you saw the plan v Rangers and you started to see an attacking , pressing style form. From Aberdeen onwards it is as clear as day, he has them passing, ordered to be cautious, pass.backwards,. don't take a chance. When possession is lost get back behind the ball, don't dive in, stand up (celtic at Tannadice one of the worst examples of this). Midfielders coming back and sitting on the central defenders, that's not in the instinct of players , and not where Levitt plays normally. That is under instruction. Everyone back behind the ball at cornners and free kicks, that's under instruction. Every game they go out with the intensity of a training game. Maybe he needs to up the pace & intensity of training? There are one or two players that you can see on the pitch starting to get frustrated as hell.

12 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Assuming we neither finish the season in scorching form and qualify for Europe or collapse completely and get relegated it will be interesting to see Asghar’s reaction. Given that when he allowed Mellon to move on he made it abundantly clear that the style of play was unacceptable if Courts continues as manager Asghar will come across as a bit of a hypocrite. 

This for sure . It will show that there was maybe more to Mellon's leaving, is there intense pressure from above on them after, that makes them feel they cannot take a chance or start second guessing themselves? Mellon's change to eye gouging boredom was after losing to Killie & Rangers 4-0, Court's after losing 5-2 to Hearts.

Edited by Tannadeechee

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm agreeing with all the criticisms of Tam and his style of play, yet, I look throughout the league and see dissatisfaction with every clubs' fans at their managers, apart from Postecoglou at Parkhead. Robbie N at Hearts still draws criticism from their fans, who recognise he's been heavily funded to get the team where it is.

I made a similar post in the relegation thread, suggesting only Postecoglou and Alexander weren't under some sort of pressure.

If we were to bin Courts, I genuinely have no idea who we'd get. As it stands, our job isn't that attractive  - essentially we'd be looking for the managerial equivalent of the players we seem to look at. Out of a job and looking for a quick stepping stone, winding down towards retirement, or young and totally unproven.

18 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I made a similar post in the relegation thread, suggesting only Postecoglou and Alexander weren't under some sort of pressure.

If we were to bin Courts, I genuinely have no idea who we'd get. As it stands, our job isn't that attractive  - essentially we'd be looking for the managerial equivalent of the players we seem to look at. Out of a job and looking for a quick stepping stone, winding down towards retirement, or young and totally unproven.

Alex Neil said a couple of months ago (doing analysis for the game which Jack Ross lost this job after I’m sure) that he would take a job with a top six outfit. If he was available he would be the very top of my list. Track record of getting the best out of what he has - the clubs he’s been at have never been the biggest spenders in their respective divisions, and I reckon he has the stature and gravitas to garner the respect of the more senior players. What really worries me is that the notoriety of  Asghar is putting people off and no one wants to Be associated with him or perceived to be controlled by him in the way Courts is and to a degree Neilson was.

2 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

Really obvious to me..earlier in the season, you saw the plan v Rangers and you started to see an attacking , pressing style form. From Aberdeen onwards it is as clear as day, he has them passing, ordered to be cautious, pass.backwards,. don't take a chance. When possession is lost get back behind the ball, don't dive in, stand up (celtic at Tannadice one of the worst examples of this). Midfielders coming back and sitting on the central defenders, that's not in the instinct of players , and not where Levitt plays normally. That is under instruction. Everyone back behind the ball at cornners and free kicks, that's under instruction. Every game they go out with the intensity of a training game. Maybe he needs to up the pace & intensity of training? There are one or two players that you can see on the pitch starting to get frustrated as hell.

What you're describing there are things you don't like - not any specific style of play. He's not telling them to go out with a lack of intensity, or at least you hope not! 

And you say not where Levitt plays normally - compared to what? If he was suddenly dropping deeper than before to collect the ball with the centre backs split, I might recognise that as how Courts could be attempting to build play up from the back, but that's not what is happening - it all appears utterly fucking random.

I would humbly suggest that our passing is slow and indecisive not because Courts is telling them to be slow and indecisive, but because when a team has a clear system in mind, they know what their teammates will be attempting to do as second nature. Instead, they're getting the ball, looking up, looking down again, feeling sorry for themselves yada yada yada.