The Dundee United Thread 22/23

20 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

According to thr Tele's twitter Biamou has a thigh injury that scuppered his move.

Also looks like the accounts are out up until end of June 2021 (covering season with no crowds or hospo), wage bill up to 132% of turnover,  but opeprating loss down from £3.19 million to £2.27 million. Ogren looking at turning a profit in accounts up to June 2022. Those would include Shankland and Smith trannsfers.

The only other person I have heard using the term hospo is my United mate.  Is this a Dundee thing or just too much time watching Neighbours? 

22 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

Also looks like the accounts are out up until end of June 2021 (covering season with no crowds or hospo), wage bill up to 132% of turnover,  but opeprating loss down from £3.19 million to £2.27 million. Ogren looking at turning a profit in accounts up to June 2022. Those would include Shankland and Smith trannsfers.

At this point we have little or no option but to trust Ogren, but that is fucking wild!

6 hours ago, ropy said:

The only other person I have heard using the term hospo is my United mate.  Is this a Dundee thing or just too much time watching Neighbours? 

it's just part of the Dundonian predilection for shortening words or taking the easiest route to pronouncing them.  It's also why most probably think it is spelled hospotality.  My other favourite is compo instead of compensation which quaintly refers to a character from Last of the Summer Wine or actually something totally different.  mento...

1 minute ago, Finn Seemann said:

it's just part of the Dundonian predilection for shortening words or taking the easiest route to pronouncing them.  It's also why most probably think it is spelled hospotality.  My other favourite is compo instead of compensation which quaintly refers to a character from Last of the Summer Wine or actually something totally different.  mento...

Cheerso 

14 hours ago, Finn Seemann said:

It's Compy, not compo.

1 hour ago, K.T said:

Discussing last of the summer wine is exactly the sort of conversations I suspected dabs had in the stands of Tannadice and now it’s spilling onto here.

The GF Lower used to give Clegg dog's abuse until he got his big money move to Wallace and Gromit

Liam Smith in the Tele...

The 3rd or 4th interview with a player or Courts about this since the Saints game. It states "after 3 games without a goal" which spectacularly misses the point, its been near 13 games, witth this slow, direction-less, no shots play. It is this that is the fans frustration.

Also he states...

“You are obviously aware of the noise around about you but I think, equally, you know you’ve got a job and know what you’re meant to be doing,” Smith said.

Passing the ball from side to side, it gets frustrating from the stands but we know in ourselves we are doing it with purpose."

I wish someone would explain to us mmere mortals what that is because from the stands it looks like its slowing play down and helping the opposition get back into position closing off all space, rather than stretching them and attempting to win. I understand passing it sideways and backwards is necessary sometimes, but its all the bloody time.

Edited by Tannadeechee

1 hour ago, Tannadeechee said:

Liam Smith in the Tele...

I wish someone would explain to us mere mortals what that is because from the stands it looks like its slowing play down and helping the opposition get back into position closing off all space, rather than stretching them and attempting to win. I understand passing it sideways and backwards is necessary sometimes, but its all the bloody time.

I see no reason to doubt what they're saying. I'm sure they do have a purpose and there's merit in keeping the ball and trying to find openings. Unfortunately they are doing it far, far too slowly to actually create any space and don't seem to have a clue about trying an alternative approach when it clearly isn't working.

It's a cliche but I think it's true nonetheless that the sign of a good player/ team is that the longer they have on the ball the more space they create. For United the opposite is true.

I have no issue at all with the back four passing the ball between themselves - slowly even - many of the best teams in the world do this.

The issue is, what happens next? The best teams are often trying to draw some pressure to create space in which to pass the ball and then they explode into attack, having drawn players out of position.

We pass it about and then lump it up the park.

I wonder what the flaw might be here? 🙄

Edited by ArabFC

36 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I see no reason to doubt what they're saying. I'm sure they do have a purpose and there's merit in keeping the ball and trying to find openings. Unfortunately they are doing it far, far too slowly to actually create any space and don't seem to have a clue about trying an alternative approach when it clearly isn't working.

It's a cliche but I think it's true nonetheless that the sign of a good player/ team is that the longer they have on the ball the more space they create. For United the opposite is true.

I agree. I have no issue with us keeping the ball, but you need variation to the play otherwise ot becomes predictable and easy to defend, you need to be able to mix it, playing fast or early to stretch the opposition, slow it down to take the sting out of the game at times, encourage the defending team to come out to create space. We don't do that. Its slow, slow, slow all the time, and the way it's done looks like they have no plan or idea what to do if its not working.