The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Just home. I genuinely can't think what the "two penalties" Kenny McIntyre is frothing at the gub about were. Neither could TC.

We've been on the wrong end of several dodgy decisions this season, yet I can't remember them ever leading  to a 'VAR debate' in the manner that it did on Sportsound today.

No me neither. I assume a couple of marginal handballs but can't recall any incidents which looked even halfway dubious. In any event, f**k them tbf. These things should even themselves out over time. Just another couple of hundred dodgy penalty decisions to go against Rangers and then we might be all square.

The handball claim against Graham looks inconclusive to me, even after watching it many times in slo-mo. It may have rolled down his arm after coming off his chest. No idea what the other dodgy penalty claim was. Their fans were screaming for a foul every time a Utd player challenged for anything.

49 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

The handball claim against Graham looks inconclusive to me, even after watching it many times in slo-mo. It may have rolled down his arm after coming off his chest. No idea what the other dodgy penalty claim was. Their fans were screaming for a foul every time a Utd player challenged for anything.

I think what stopped it being a pen in the refs eyes was that he was making a movement away from the ball turning and bringing his arm closer down towards his body. 

Seen them given before but would have been harsh. 

5 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

No me neither. I assume a couple of marginal handballs but can't recall any incidents which looked even halfway dubious. In any event, f**k them tbf. These things should even themselves out over time. Just another couple of hundred dodgy penalty decisions to go against Rangers and then we might be all square.

Indeed. I can't remember the last time we had some truly dubious decisions go for us like the Cuellar choke slam, the game leading to the famous Levein rant on TV and the game at Tannadice where we were reduced to 8 men. 

Mind you, there was the famous "off side" goal we scored at Ibrox to balance things out...

I'd have preferred if the incidents mentioned were absolute stone wall penalties that were not given.

6 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

What gets me is there is no chat about Ryan Jack's disgraceful leg-breaker on Levitt, the shoulder charge on Niskanen in 1st half or McGregor's off the ball on Harkes (maybe because he does that type of thing so often its just "normal"). There was also the Rugby Union hand off, the usual lack of consistency in decisions which is just the usual we "diddies" have to put up with.

That Graham hand ball under the old (proper) rules that fans, players,.pundits etc. didn't understand then it wouldn't even be a discussion. The ball is heading out of the box, no attacker near him and no movement towards the ball. Current rules if it comes off another part of your body first then its not a penalty and as you point out, I'm not sure it didn't.hitnhis chest first.

12 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

But what we've learned is its either Tam or the players who can't motivate other than the big games because on that showing, we have the makings of a decent team.

I've been following United for the best part of 30 years, and if you think this is down to Tam or the current crop of players then you have a very short memory... we, along with every other side in the league (planet?) up our game against the bigger teams, then the next week go out and give Gretna their only ever away in the SPL.  It is the Dundee United way! 

12 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

It's quite a bold take to suggest playing better against Rangers than against (say) St Johnstone is evidence that the manager should be sacked.

I say bold. I mean fucking idiotic.

Harsh, but true.

12 hours ago, Steven W said:

Just home. I genuinely can't think what the "two penalties" Kenny McIntyre is frothing at the gub about were. 

/

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'd have preferred if the incidents mentioned were absolute stone wall penalties that were not given.

To be fair, the shirt-pull by Graham was an absolute stonewaller and clear red card (or second yellow at the very least).  If that had been at the other end we would (rightly) have been apoplectic.

Just makes it all the sweeter!

I thought Graham's handball wasn't a penalty as it hit his chest first.

6 games before the split, 5 of which are against the teams immediately around us. Reckon 2 wins out of those games would probably be enough to get top 6. 40-42 points should do it.