George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

This may be true but I'd argue, with near certainty, that that's a question of confusing causation with correlation. I'd be happy to wager that the majority of "deaths in service" come from neighbourhoods with higher rates of poverty. There just happens to be a correlation with black neighbourhoods because African Americans are disproportionately stuck in poverty cycles compared to other races in America

Most come from car crashes actually.

11 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

This may be true but I'd argue, with near certainty, that that's a question of confusing causation with correlation. I'd be happy to wager that the majority of "deaths in service" come from neighbourhoods with higher rates of poverty. There just happens to be a correlation with black neighbourhoods because African Americans are disproportionately stuck in poverty cycles compared to other races in America

Fairly certain that the relationship between guns and deaths is one of causation. 

24 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

What concerns me the most is the constant attack on media personal by the cops, I mean they know everything is recorded and shown live now, they just don't care anymore.

They think they're doing what the boss wants.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

Real Americans rally round to help communities

If only more people showed the same levels of community spirit,  the world would be a better place.

There's an argument for what folk have mentioned on here in terms of generational entrenchment - black folks grow up distrusting the police, police feel they're in more danger in certain neighbourhoods etc. But there's so little done to correct that outside of, from what I can see, small community groups or networks of such. I'd add that in the cities often the police are from outside that city. My girlfriend was telling me the other week that the majority of cops in Portland live/grew up outside the city limits.

I think the profit motive of needing filling America's jails and escalating the armament of the polis to sell surplus has a far greater effect. Add this to structural and social racism and a tipping point/mass violent protests is inevitable.

I was vaguely aware of the guy before, but listened to behind the b*****ds this week on David Grossman, who runs the "Killology Research Group" and travels the country teaching cops to think of themselves as Batman, with guns. Anyone who can read about that and still claim that it's a few bad apples or a scenario that will ever fix itself without something like this is moon-howling imo

5 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Quite a few posters giving off this sort of energy here.

434349.jpg.41c890d017a43a49eb3256c5c13beaf3.jpg

And what are you doing to tackle racism? ( apart from  bullying people)

4 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

There's an argument for what folk have mentioned on here in terms of generational entrenchment - black folks grow up distrusting the police, police feel they're in more danger in certain neighbourhoods etc. But there's so little done to correct that outside of, from what I can see, small community groups or networks of such. I'd add that in the cities often the police are from outside that city. My girlfriend was telling me the other week that the majority of cops in Portland live/grew up outside the city limits.

I think the profit motive of needing filling America's jails and escalating the armament of the polis to sell surplus has a far greater effect. Add this to structural and social racism and a tipping point/mass violent protests is inevitable.

I was vaguely aware of the guy before, but listened to behind the b*****ds this week on David Grossman, who runs the "Killology Research Group" and travels the country teaching cops to think of themselves as Batman, with guns. Anyone who can read about that and still claim that it's a few bad apples or a scenario that will ever fix itself without something like this is moon-howling imo

I agree with you.

The point about mutual distrust is not to suggest that police are in the right, or that there's no justification for these protests. Of course there is.

I think it's more a feeling of having no idea how America fixes this.

Stop racism by posting shite on facebook to get likes or maybe actually go and volunteer or get into education?
Nah, will just pretend I care on social media. That's much easier.
What's for tea. La la la.
I'm helping

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I agree with you.

The point about mutual distrust is not to suggest that police are in the right, or that there's no justification for these protests. Of course there is.

I think it's more a feeling of having no idea how America fixes this.

Aye apologies didn't mean to imply that you were suggesting that, and the mindset comes as a consequence of structural racism so I don't disagree. Didn't express myself all that well but was worried I'd already be writing too long a post

5 minutes ago, bennett said:

If you choose to make a rip roaring c**t of yourself by posting shite, then get proven wrong, then trying to change the narrative to something else but still make a rip roaring c**t of yourself and still get proven wrong, that is not bullying.

13 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Quite a few posters giving off this sort of energy here.

434349.jpg.41c890d017a43a49eb3256c5c13beaf3.jpg

And the why should white Europeans object to black Americans being treated badly vibe. It's not like they're Rhodesian farmers we're talking about.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

If you choose to make a rip roaring c**t of yourself by posting shite, then get proven wrong, then trying to change the narrative to something else but still make a rip roaring c**t of yourself and still get proven wrong, that is not bullying.

More attacking and bullying, I've been in a terrible state due to hendersons do to delivers attacks.

Think about your bullying and how it affects people. 

13 minutes ago, bennett said:

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

More attacking and bullying, I've been in a terrible state due to hendersons do to delivers attacks.

Think about your bullying and how it affects people. 

Take a break from the forum. Speak to someone outside of p&b, it'll do you the world of good.

If you feel you are being bullied, you should report it to the mods.

Get well soon m9.

8 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Stop racism by posting shite on facebook to get likes or maybe actually go and volunteer or get into education?
Nah, will just pretend I care on social media. That's much easier.
What's for tea. La la la.
I'm helping

You realise that your consistent moaning about anyone saying, being upset about, showing solidarity, joining a bandwagon, over anything, is the dullest take it's possible to have? Aye, folk on social media can be attention seeking idiots. But you r detached mock exasperation just makes you look like a bellend, who is also an attention-seeking idiot