George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

40 minutes ago, bennett said:

Henderson to deliver badly misjudged the situation and was extremely naive but I'd hardly call him a racist.

Fair play if you're going to double down on every stupid post you make on this thread. I simply cannot compete with that.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt though, and just assume you're a massive thicko rather than malicious.

Bennett is either monumentally thick, or the worst troll imaginable. I’d be inclined to go with the former.

Mind numbingly boring also, to read his consistently spouted pish.

Any suggestions regarding this that would enhance my all round forum experience, would be most welcome.

Edited by MONKMAN

29 minutes ago, bennett said:

Can you copy and paste?

No charges will be filed against Omaha bar owner who fatally shot protester, Don Kleine says

The white bar owner who shot and killed a 22-year-old black Omaha man fired in self-defense after ending up on the ground in the middle of a group Saturday night, Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine said Monday.

In turn, Kleine said, Jake Gardner, owner of The Hive bar near 12th and Harney Streets, will not be charged in the death of James Scurlock. Kleine said he reviewed the evidence — and interviews with witnesses — and determined that Gardner had acted in self-defense.

Kleine played video of the confrontation at a 1:30 p.m. press conference.

Kleine said that Saturday night, standing outside his downtown bar, Gardner urged the crowd to move along.

Gardner could be seen talking with a group of young men, including Scurlock, and backing up. In one video circulating online, a cellphone user says, "That (expletive) got a gun."

Words were exchanged, and Gardner ended up on his back in the middle of Harney Street. He fired two warning shots. The skirmish continued, and Gardner remained on his back, with Scurlock getting Gardner in a chokehold. Gardner fired again. That shot hit Scurlock in the neck, killing him.

In one of the videos circulating online, another young man — a tall white man — can be seen waving away Gardner. Then a confrontation among a handful of people, including Scurlock, and Gardner. A cellphone user can be heard yelling about Gardner: “That (expletive) got a gun … It’s not worth it (expletive) you stu-”

Less than 10 seconds later, shots rang out.

At the press conference, Kleine said he looked for any evidence of instigation or slurs coming from Gardner.

Kleine said one protester who was interviewed by investigators said, “I’m not a fan of the police department, but I was there and I didn’t hear anything like that (slurs) when I was standing there.”

Kleine said he would welcome other video of the incident, but he said it would have to be “substantially” different from the evidence officials currently have to change his mind on charges. The consensus from law enforcement officials who reviewed the evidence, he said, was that it was self-defense.

Gardner was taken to Omaha police headquarters after the shooting late Saturday night and was released late Sunday night, Kleine said.

After Kleine's press conference, Scurlock's father, James Scurlock II, said much more video exists of the incident.

"What I want is justice," he said. "This was a quick answer."

As he had Sunday, the elder Scurlock asked protesters not to be violent or loot in his son’s name.

Nebraska State Sen. Justin Wayne, an attorney who is representing the Scurlock family, said he and the family are very disappointed by the decision. They are asking Kleine to turn the case over to a grand jury because Wayne thinks charges could be filed against Gardner, such as manslaughter, a concealed carry permit violation or firing a shot within city limits.

Wayne said he has clients who are facing such charges now, and he doesn't understand why those charges wouldn't be filed against Gardner.

"This is a rush to judgment," Wayne said.

The family, he said, is exploring all legal options.

Wayne said it's easy to hear the side of the person who survives such an incident.

Scurlock's death Saturday night was part of the most chaotic of three nights of protests and vandalism in Omaha since George Floyd, a 46-year-old Minneapolis man, died after a Minneapolis police officer pressed his knee into Floyd's neck for nearly nine minutes. Sunday, Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert declared a state of emergency and imposed a curfew from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. in an effort to suppress protests.

At his own press conference later in the afternoon, Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts acknowledged that Kleine’s decision would make some people unhappy. But he said Kleine is well respected and that if Kleine doesn't think charges were warranted, he will accept that.

Ricketts urged the public to watch video of the incident.

“I can certainly imagine there will be some raw feelings with regard to the decision the county attorney made." He called for people who protest to do so in a safe, peaceful way.

“Do not resort to violence,” Ricketts said. “That only detracts from the goals that you’re trying to accomplish. We have to heal. We have to move on together, and the only way we can do that is with peace and calm.”

Ricketts said the protests were about “very real issues that face minority communities with regard to equal access to justice and how they are treated by law enforcement.”

“We hear you," he said. "We know we must continue to work to find that equal access to justice for our minority communities.”

But he also decried the violence and loss of life during the protests, saying it had been a terrible weekend for the state.

Tensions had increased Monday morning as authorities gave businesses a heads up that Gardner was going to be released. By late morning, officials were urging businesses to board up their windows in case of an outbreak of vandalism. Douglas County Courthouse employees were told to go home, and sheriff’s deputies who work security at the courthouse were monitoring the grounds.

Other protests have been held at the courthouse — in the late 1990s over the death of Marvin Ammons and in 2000 over the death of George Bibins. The men had been shot and killed by Omaha police. Those protests were peaceful — Bibins’ protest drew about 200 people and included speakers and an empty coffin.

A Sunday afternoon protest — at the birth site of Malcolm X — was peaceful. Afterward, State Sen. Justin Wayne, an attorney representing Scurlock’s parents, called for justice and peace. Scurlock’s father, also named James, had urged Kleine to charge Gardner.

5 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

No charges will be filed against Omaha bar owner who fatally shot protester, Don Kleine says

The white bar owner who shot and killed a 22-year-old black Omaha man fired in self-defense after ending up on the ground in the middle of a group Saturday night, Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine said Monday.

In turn, Kleine said, Jake Gardner, owner of The Hive bar near 12th and Harney Streets, will not be charged in the death of James Scurlock. Kleine said he reviewed the evidence — and interviews with witnesses — and determined that Gardner had acted in self-defense.

Kleine played video of the confrontation at a 1:30 p.m. press conference.

Kleine said that Saturday night, standing outside his downtown bar, Gardner urged the crowd to move along.

Gardner could be seen talking with a group of young men, including Scurlock, and backing up. In one video circulating online, a cellphone user says, "That (expletive) got a gun."

Words were exchanged, and Gardner ended up on his back in the middle of Harney Street. He fired two warning shots. The skirmish continued, and Gardner remained on his back, with Scurlock getting Gardner in a chokehold. Gardner fired again. That shot hit Scurlock in the neck, killing him.

In one of the videos circulating online, another young man — a tall white man — can be seen waving away Gardner. Then a confrontation among a handful of people, including Scurlock, and Gardner. A cellphone user can be heard yelling about Gardner: “That (expletive) got a gun … It’s not worth it (expletive) you stu-”

Less than 10 seconds later, shots rang out.

At the press conference, Kleine said he looked for any evidence of instigation or slurs coming from Gardner.

Kleine said one protester who was interviewed by investigators said, “I’m not a fan of the police department, but I was there and I didn’t hear anything like that (slurs) when I was standing there.”

Kleine said he would welcome other video of the incident, but he said it would have to be “substantially” different from the evidence officials currently have to change his mind on charges. The consensus from law enforcement officials who reviewed the evidence, he said, was that it was self-defense.

Gardner was taken to Omaha police headquarters after the shooting late Saturday night and was released late Sunday night, Kleine said.

After Kleine's press conference, Scurlock's father, James Scurlock II, said much more video exists of the incident.

"What I want is justice," he said. "This was a quick answer."

As he had Sunday, the elder Scurlock asked protesters not to be violent or loot in his son’s name.

Nebraska State Sen. Justin Wayne, an attorney who is representing the Scurlock family, said he and the family are very disappointed by the decision. They are asking Kleine to turn the case over to a grand jury because Wayne thinks charges could be filed against Gardner, such as manslaughter, a concealed carry permit violation or firing a shot within city limits.

Wayne said he has clients who are facing such charges now, and he doesn't understand why those charges wouldn't be filed against Gardner.

"This is a rush to judgment," Wayne said.

The family, he said, is exploring all legal options.

Wayne said it's easy to hear the side of the person who survives such an incident.

Scurlock's death Saturday night was part of the most chaotic of three nights of protests and vandalism in Omaha since George Floyd, a 46-year-old Minneapolis man, died after a Minneapolis police officer pressed his knee into Floyd's neck for nearly nine minutes. Sunday, Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert declared a state of emergency and imposed a curfew from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. in an effort to suppress protests.

At his own press conference later in the afternoon, Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts acknowledged that Kleine’s decision would make some people unhappy. But he said Kleine is well respected and that if Kleine doesn't think charges were warranted, he will accept that.

Ricketts urged the public to watch video of the incident.

“I can certainly imagine there will be some raw feelings with regard to the decision the county attorney made." He called for people who protest to do so in a safe, peaceful way.

“Do not resort to violence,” Ricketts said. “That only detracts from the goals that you’re trying to accomplish. We have to heal. We have to move on together, and the only way we can do that is with peace and calm.”

Ricketts said the protests were about “very real issues that face minority communities with regard to equal access to justice and how they are treated by law enforcement.”

“We hear you," he said. "We know we must continue to work to find that equal access to justice for our minority communities.”

But he also decried the violence and loss of life during the protests, saying it had been a terrible weekend for the state.

Tensions had increased Monday morning as authorities gave businesses a heads up that Gardner was going to be released. By late morning, officials were urging businesses to board up their windows in case of an outbreak of vandalism. Douglas County Courthouse employees were told to go home, and sheriff’s deputies who work security at the courthouse were monitoring the grounds.

Other protests have been held at the courthouse — in the late 1990s over the death of Marvin Ammons and in 2000 over the death of George Bibins. The men had been shot and killed by Omaha police. Those protests were peaceful — Bibins’ protest drew about 200 people and included speakers and an empty coffin.

A Sunday afternoon protest — at the birth site of Malcolm X — was peaceful. Afterward, State Sen. Justin Wayne, an attorney representing Scurlock’s parents, called for justice and peace. Scurlock’s father, also named James, had urged Kleine to charge Gardner.

Thanks for posting. 

The whole country seems like a tinderbox ready to go up in flames, there'll probably be trouble there tonight. Stay safe.

It's hard for a lot of us with limited US experience to understand the mindset of a lot Americans. I'd  like to think that in those circumstances I'd back off and not put property above human lives, propery can be rebuilt after all.

25 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

'Acting offended'? You've outed yourself there with that terminology.

You genuinely believe that players who weren't even at that football club when Suarez was are responsible for the entire history of that club? Are you saying that all players must abide by what all previous players did? Seriously? What a stupid moronic claim. Please explain this fucking garbage nonsense.

Are you also suggesting that black players can't show support for something just because they play for a certain club? And that their team mates can't support them?

Are then suggesting that anyone who shows support for the situation in Minnesota is virtue signalling? 

When the American football players took a knee I take it you were raging and calling it a PR stunt and asking why they were offended and what it had to do with them? If not, why not? What is different?

As to why now? Hmmm, I fucking wonder why now. 

It would be interesting to find out who came up with the idea for them to do it.

Did any football club bother to mark Rwanda slaughter or Martin Luther king day? Liverpool have a long history of grief junky behaviour alongside Celtic and it actually encourages confrontation with other teams and fans. If it was any other side then I would say it’s a bit strange but because it’s Liverpool then to me it’s a bit hypocritical after the Suarez incident.

You can’t say that teams should stop marking the war dead then scream moron at others when they point out hypocrisy from Liverpool.

Dont want to argue or upset anyone but that’s how I feel. There’s a minutes silence or some sort of political agenda to support nearly every week at football grounds nowadays and it’s almost as if people are addicted to grief or showing support for some reason.

Theres been the anti racism red card thing for years now, everyone is aware of it. The American problem isn’t really a major issue here and I believe this is just a PR stunt by Liverpool and therefore is a bit sick and distasteful. To seek validation through the pain and suffering of others.

24 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Bennett is either monumentally thick, or the worst troll imaginable. I’d be inclined to go with the former.

Mind numbingly boring also, to read his consistently spouted pish.

Any suggestions regarding this that would enhance my all round forum experience, would be most welcome.

Careful, he'll be on here in tears accusing you of bullying. 

Just now, Dee Man said:

Careful, he'll be on here in tears accusing you of bullying. 

2 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Fucking hell Bennet

The clique ganging up again. 

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

People say this but it's total bollocks. They did a big thing on it when they played Juventus in 2005 and have done other things.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

Yes, and it only took them 25 years to put a plaque up at Klanfield.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

It would be interesting to find out who came up with the idea for them to do it.

Did any football club bother to mark Rwanda slaughter or Martin Luther king day? Liverpool have a long history of grief junky behaviour alongside Celtic and it actually encourages confrontation with other teams and fans. If it was any other side then I would say it’s a bit strange but because it’s Liverpool then to me it’s a bit hypocritical after the Suarez incident.

You can’t say that teams should stop marking the war dead then scream moron at others when they point out hypocrisy from Liverpool.

Dont want to argue or upset anyone but that’s how I feel. There’s a minutes silence or some sort of political agenda to support nearly every week at football grounds nowadays and it’s almost as if people are addicted to grief or showing support for some reason.

Theres been the anti racism red card thing for years now, everyone is aware of it. The American problem isn’t really a major issue here and I believe this is just a PR stunt by Liverpool and therefore is a bit sick and distasteful. To seek validation through the pain and suffering of others.

So a massive 'f**k you' to black players from you then? They should just shut the f**k up simply because they play for a football club you don't like?

f**k their right to expression, that is cancelled because they play for Liverpool. 

Can you explain why every single Liverpool players has to, in your view, take responsibility for every single thing Liverpool has or has not done in the past? Can you also explain why they can't hold personal views and everything must be some sort of collective 'Liverpool' view instead?

The 'American' issue is not just an American thing. It's a cultural racism issue, and is very much an issue here. 

There isn't something like a minutes silence nearly every week. That's you using exaggeration to try and bolster your nonsense. Tell me what the last one at East End Park was, and when.

Do you ever stop to think how you behave on here affects others?

Some folk can across as right dicks at times on here. Some have a sneering, arrogant act and some have a wind up act.

I usually just ignore that sort of thing but some others may be more affected by it than you know. I imagine most folk don't actually want to upset anyone, but it definitely happens. 

Arguments will no doubt be made about how folk shouldn't be on here if they 'can't take it', but that's too easy and refuses responsibility. This is supposed to be a laugh for the most part with some sensible debate, or at least debate, thrown in.

Some folk might be having a tough time, and of course you don't know (how could you?), but does anyone ever think that perhaps they've been a bit of a tosser, even if you haven't upset anyone?

Certainly there's a few times where I've been a bit heavy on folk and have thought that there was no need for it reading it back, and even if the people in question didn't care or found it amusing, that doesn't really excuse it.

I just think can maybe be a little nicer sometimes.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

The issue to me is that they said it was pretty much ok for Suarez but now they’re are acting offended on someone’s behalf for a pr stunt.

Yes they have black players but they did little to help when they backed Suarez. It’s picking and choosing to suit your agenda. They backed Suarez because he was arguably their best player. Perhaps I’m being cynical?

All this virtue signalling stuff is just holding up a big look at me board claiming that you somehow care more than others. Every normal person is offended and was shocked at what happened but wtf has it got to do with Liverpool football club and why now?

Im pretty sure you said that the remembrance stuff the pars did was a bit iffy. This is way worse, there’s no real connection to the incident other than having some black players who they were quite happy to allow to play alongside a bitey racist a while back. 

Some black players. There you go Einstein. Solved your own riddle.

You're a jolly old soul, eh?

42 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Curtis Woodhouse is a notorious bellend.

You just have to see who is replying to that tweet showing it support to see how wide of the mark it is. 

it's breitbart patter.