George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

46 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

This from the bishop of St. John's church, where Trump went to pose with a bible.

And from the GOP..

That's the same video. 

Eta: That's weird. On the original post I'm seeing the same video posted twice but I can see the other tweet when I quote it. Strange. 

Edited by Dee Man

That's the same video. 
Eta: That's weird. On the original post I'm seeing the same video posted twice but I can see the other tweet when I quote it. Strange. 
I've been having the same problem with pictures, they don't show in the original post but do if it is quoted.

7 hours ago, MuckleMoo said:
8 hours ago, Fife Saint said:
Listening to Cicero police in Chicago area on the scanner. Sounds fucking wild, shots fired.

Listening to this after you posted. Sounds like a fucking war zone

Mexican hoods (Cicero, Little Village, Pilsen), the Latin Kings protecting businesses with fairly heavy weaponry, cops are leaving them to it. 

Mexican hoods (Cicero, Little Village, Pilsen), the Latin Kings protecting businesses with fairly heavy weaponry, cops are leaving them to it. 
Yip, had a chuckle to my self when police started reporting a masked man on a shop roof with an assault rifle. Turned out it was the shop owner protecting his business. Police were quite happy to let him get on with it.

Also reports of gang members clashing with looters

7 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

Yip, had a chuckle to my self when police started reporting a masked man on a shop roof with an assault rifle. Turned out it was the shop owner protecting his business. Police were quite happy to let him get on with it.

Also reports of gang members clashing with looters

Started on Saturday in Little Village, the Latin Kings and 26 called truce and held the neighborhood. LK’s have shot 2 looters dead in Cicero today. 

Honestly, considering the year this has been, it's not going to be a shock if this ends with Trump ordering a Purge night once a year from now on in.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I must admit as a man with instinctive cynicism my first reaction to Liverpool's post was a roll of the eyes. I don't think i'm wrong, social media is full of footballers/celebrities jumping on bandwagons and giving us emotional accounts of how much these issues mean to them. I'd say a significant number of them do it as an opportunistic move to promote themselves. 

I mean, I've suffered depression most of my life and a lot of the recent celebrities 'admitting' to their mental health problems has me cringing and calling bullshit.

HOWEVER, whether my natural cynicism is accurate or not you have to realise that it's insignificant in comparison to the issue at large here. You'd have to have something wrong with you to see that George Floyd footage (or read the history of the US) and not see that America has a serious issue with racism that needs resolved. Some pressure and scrutiny from high profile places across the world, in addition to the protests being made within will hopefully wake them up and see change.

In short, Liverpool are cringe but it's a means to an end.    

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 09:32, Jacksgranda said:

Re your assertion that all police are c**** (I paraphrase slightly) I've never had any bother with the police, on the few occasions I've had to deal with them they were nothing but professional and polite.

doesn't make for a good rant,though,does it

ive met some right arrogant p***ks from the police but 99% ive interacted with have been sound

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

Boston tea party, Stonewall riots, poll tax riots, Freddie Grey riots in Baltimore, reforms after the 1968 Paris riots, 1968 Chicago DNC riot... and that's just off the top of my head. It's better not to make declarative statements without doing some research first.

Of course rioting is usually reactionary, it's what happens when enough people have been pissed off more than they can bear.

Though in the vast majority of cases in the US right now it's not the protestors who are rioting - it's the police. 

Not my words but the words of Martin Luther King jr. I suppose you could tell him a thing or two about race relations in the US.

You’re probably right though. Rioting will solve the problem. Like the LA riots after Rodney King got a doing. That stopped police brutality.

The poll tax riots changed nothing. Mass non-compliance stopped the poll tax.

Maybe sometimes having a wee riot does help. Maybe sometimes it’s hugely counter productive. I reckon usually the latter.

6 hours ago, coprolite said:

The limitation of riots, moral questions aside, is that they cannot win and their participants know it. Hence, rioting is not revolutionary but reactionary because it invites defeat. It involves an emotional catharsis, but it must be followed by a sense of futility.

Thanks, Socrates.

6 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

doesn't make for a good rant,though,does it

ive met some right arrogant p***ks from the police but 99% ive interacted with have been sound

:lol:

Actually the one time I had an encounter with arrogant police was in Scotland. I never had any bother with the police over here, despite the fact 30% of the population was either trying to kill them or quite happy for them to be killed.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Actually the one time I had an encounter with arrogant police was in Scotland. I never had any bother with the police over here, despite the fact 30% of the population was either trying to kill them or quite happy for them to be killed.

wheres "over here",the US somewhere?

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

I've encountered arsehole police, particularly at the football, but the vast majority of 'horror' stories you hear from people involve them breaking the law and being pissed off when the police step in.

Commonly use the phrase 'HAVE YOU GOT NOTHING BETTER TO DO' as well.

I think generally in the UK we're quite fortunate with the police we have. America is an entirely different story though.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Northern Ireland.

interesting-you live somewhere in the UK where the police,like the americans,are all armed but don't seem to pull the same shit that the ones in the US do.of course,citizens over in NI aren't routinely armed but the ones that are are dangerous enough for the PSNI officers to be as cautious as anyone when dealing with folk

5 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

interesting-you live somewhere in the UK where the police,like the americans,are all armed but don't seem to pull the same shit that the ones in the US do.of course,citizens over in NI aren't routinely armed but the ones that are are dangerous enough for the PSNI officers to be as cautious as anyone when dealing with folk

Even nowadays a policeman could go out to investigate an incident only to be lured into an ambush. Basically they need to be on alert at all times, although I'm sure certain names and addresses raise more concern than others.