George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

Can you provide a source for your information? 

Yes.

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I think the cannabis thing is much more important than you're giving credit. Think how many black guys have been imprisoned for possession compared to whites. Legalising it closes off a very easy route the police and courts could take to persecute blacks.

19 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Wow. I’m sure you can completely empathise with black youths being harassed by the police because you got pulled over a couple of times in your 1.2 Corsa. 

So do you think that the police should just ignore the high levels of crime in London or should they try to make communities safer?

Just now, MixuFruit said:

*gestures vaguely towards the last 150 years of America*

I'm not sure you can just come out and say things like "legalise cannabis because more blacks than white are getting imprisoned due to it" otherwise you're opening a massive can of worms the world over. 

1 minute ago, bennett said:

So do you think that the police should just ignore the high levels of crime in London or should they try to make communities safer?

I'd rather they went back to harassing you at every opportunity.  

6 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I'm not sure you can just come out and say things like "legalise cannabis because more blacks than white are getting imprisoned due to it" otherwise you're opening a massive can of worms the world over. 

Exactly.

Either people being locked up for cannabis use is an injustice or it isn't (and it is). 

I understand completely the anger of black Americans and there is absolutely no doubt there is significant racism in the US in particular. But I can't help feeling race is a bit of a sideshow to some more serious issues there.

The callous attitude of the the police in the US towards life in general is a disgrace. If the police didn't believe they'll get off for basically murdering anyone they feel like then a hell of a lot less black men would get murdered by the police. If there wasn't such galling inequalities then huge swathes of the black population wouldn't just be condemned from birth and left to rot.

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Exactly.

Either people being locked up for cannabis use is an injustice or it isn't (and it is). 

I understand completely the anger of black Americans and there is absolutely no doubt there is significant racism in the US in particular. But I can't help feeling race is a bit of a sideshow to some more serious issues there.

The callous attitude of the the police in the US towards life in general is a disgrace. If the police didn't believe they'll get off for basically murdering anyone they feel like then a hell of a lot less black men would get murdered by the police. If there wasn't such galling inequalities then huge swathes of the black population wouldn't just be condemned from birth and left to rot.

Race absolutely underpins everything in your second para.

Just now, MixuFruit said:

Sure I can this is a forum on the internet.

There once was a poster MixuFixit, 

Sensible posts he always did make, 

But since somebody's dodgy eyesight, 

He's turned into MixuFruitcake. 

The experiment of criminalising drugs has had even worse consequences and boons to crime and incarceration than Prohibition, in the supplying countries just as much as the big consumers.

8 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Race absolutely underpins everything in your second para.

I'm not trying to claim race isn't entangled with all of that stuff in way that's extremely difficult to unweave but it's pretty clear race is not the only factor in these things. Plenty of white people are murdered by the American police.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm not trying to claim race isn't entangled with all of that stuff in way that's extremely difficult to unweave but it's pretty clear race is not the only factor in these things. Plenty of white people are murdered by the American police.

Black people comprise 12% of the US population.

16C2C828-AE51-4591-92EA-A147C330CB83.thumb.png.2b13286dd5375ae33fb5a91e61902768.png

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Black people comprise 12% of the US population.

16C2C828-AE51-4591-92EA-A147C330CB83.thumb.png.2b13286dd5375ae33fb5a91e61902768.png

There was an article I read ages ago (I'll try and find it) that posed this hypothetical question:

A young black man is out late at night and has a choice of two dark alleys to walk down to get home. The first alley has another black man standing in it, while the second has a police officer. Which one should he choose?

The author analysed the murder stats compared to the numbers of police killings and concluded that he should choose the first alley as, when you adjust for population sizes, the police officer is 20% more likely to kill him.

Just now, Mr Tourette said:

I’m intrigued by the “unknown” category at the end of that graph.

200 odd folk shot dead per year who don’t come under white, black, Hispanic or other? We’re they aliens or something?

I’m assuming police departments who are insufficiently interested to include ethnicity in their reports.

13 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It’s not  the only factor but to call it a bit of a sideshow is disingenuous.

5 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

I’m intrigued by the “unknown” category at the end of that graph.

200 odd folk shot dead per year who don’t come under white, black, Hispanic or other? We’re they aliens or something?

Yetis m8.