George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

1 hour ago, The Golden God said:

Had a large guy start on us in Florida because he said to my Irish mate that he was Irish, mate said “f**k off really where?” and he said St Louis but was absolutely furious and screaming at us about how my mate (obviously sarcastically) told him to f**k off and how rude that, he only stopped because a Scottish colleague of his came over and explained it then took him away.

Him wanting to be Irish should have been a warning sign he was at least slightly unhinged.

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

When was the last time a policeman here was prosecuted, found guilty of killing someone, and went to jail ?

'The system' always manages to find an excuse...., the thing goes off to IPCC ( or whatever it's called these days ),

the media goes silent, the case gets 'lost' in a fog of 'under investigation', and eventually it's all forgotten about.

Unless your the poor b*****d's friends or family.

The statistic that gets bandied about is 1700 deaths in police custody and 0 prosecutions since 1990.

2 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Had a large guy start on us in Florida because he said to my Irish mate that he was Irish, mate said “f**k off really where?” and he said St Louis but was absolutely furious and screaming at us about how my mate (obviously sarcastically) told him to f**k off and how rude that, he only stopped because a Scottish colleague of his came over and explained it then took him away.

When she visits, my mother-in-law is absolutely mortified by how people talk to each other here. Every now and then she'll mention something about people being angry and I have to explain that she's just seen a couple of friends winding each other up because they like each other, or that the guy calling a stranger a c**t was doing so because he appreciated the humorous comment he just made. Probably about his maw.

Aggressive friendliness; one of Scotland's finer qualities. Most of the Mexicans I met over there had a similar trait; combine that with speaking a different language, and I suppose you can see why some English-speaking folk might get the wrong idea.

16 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I've been to America three times in my life and every time I've been I've always been a bit surprised by how foreign it feels.  I think because we get so much American culture over here (music, films, documentaries etc.) and because they speak English, even if we haven't been, we think we know America quite well.  We don't at all.  It's a completely different world in some ways.

I went to Philadelphia a couple of years ago to repair a couple of machines my work had sent  to a customer over there. We worked alongside a guy who was an ex-marine, he was sound enough when dealing with us but he gave off the vibe he could explode at any minute, the other guys that worked there were petrified of him. He kept 2 loaded guns in his jeep, and we found out from the manager that he had included a full page in his C.V. listing all the firearms that he was able to use. 

The manager of the firm took us out for a meal one night and we mentioned to him we were planning to go into Philadelphia to see the Rocky steps etc. and walk about a bit, and he told us if we were walking about and didn’t see a white person for 5 minutes to turn around, he launched into the most racist tirade I’ve ever heard. He called them monkeys who would take your money, phone and clothes off your back. Me and the guy I was with just sat there in shock. To get back to the point, I can completely understand what you mean when you say it felt foreign. That was my first and only time in America and it was nothing like I expected. 

10 hours ago, bennett said:

The totalitarian overzealous Dutch polis were to blame. 

A bit much Bennet but the few fans that were arrested Ended up getting their records overturned, others agreed to accept no sentence. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/celtic-fans-jailed-2013-amsterdam-13906444.amp

Quite a ridiculous attempt at whataboutery really Though from yourself, even by your hilariously shit standards.

7 hours ago, beefybake said:

When was the last time a policeman here was prosecuted, found guilty of killing someone, and went to jail ?

'The system' always manages to find an excuse...., the thing goes off to IPCC ( or whatever it's called these days ),

the media goes silent, the case gets 'lost' in a fog of 'under investigation', and eventually it's all forgotten about.

Unless your the poor b*****d's friends or family.

A police officer will always back up a police officer, wether they are in the right or not. Too many people have this idea that they are all courteous and trustworthy, the majority of them are anything but. I’ve had first hand experience of watching a police officer stand up in court and lie about an alleged assault on him, where he explained in detail that an 18 year old boy had struck him around the head with a bag of beer cans and how he had to take evasive action because he felt his life was in danger. What he was unaware of was that the defence lawyer had got a recording of a household CCTV camera, which very clearly showed that absolutely none of that had happened. The defence lawyer absolutely skewered him and the judge rightly threw the case out, but that guy was probably back at his work the next day, not a care in the world that he had been caught lying in court, trying to bring a very serious charge to a boy who was half way through an apprenticeship and would have lost his job if found guilty. 

It takes a certain character to want to become a police officer and in my experience the majority of them are not to be trusted. They might start off with good intentions but a few years down the line the power goes to their head and they believe themselves to be a class above the general population. I’ve met a few police officers in social situations and have always found them to be arrogant wankers. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

I went to Philadelphia a couple of years ago to repair a couple of machines my work had sent  to a customer over there. We worked alongside a guy who was an ex-marine, he was sound enough when dealing with us but he gave off the vibe he could explode at any minute, the other guys that worked there were petrified of him. He kept 2 loaded guns in his jeep, and we found out from the manager that he had included a full page in his C.V. listing all the firearms that he was able to use. 

The manager of the firm took us out for a meal one night and we mentioned to him we were planning to go into Philadelphia to see the Rocky steps etc. and walk about a bit, and he told us if we were walking about and didn’t see a white person for 5 minutes to turn around, he launched into the most racist tirade I’ve ever heard. He called them monkeys who would take your money, phone and clothes off your back. Me and the guy I was with just sat there in shock. To get back to the point, I can completely understand what you mean when you say it felt foreign. That was my first and only time in America and it was nothing like I expected. 

Went to the states some years ago with the wife and we visited a woman in Albany she'd been penpals with for years. Whilst they chatted, the husband showed me round the house that he'd built himself. Everything perfectly normal then he showed me his gym in the basement - weights, punching bag and so on. It was here that he asked if I knew had to protect myself and "your woman".  He was concerned that we'd said we planned to go exploring towns and cities on our road trip so he started showing me self defence moves for when "some n***** comes at you with a knife". This of course meant showing off his knife collection and then his gun cupboards where he had half a dozen pistols and a couple of rifles. He ended up trying to loan me a pistol for the trip.

Awkward.

11 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Seen a few videos of black English folk getting arrested for refusing drug searches & subsequently being let go for having no drugs, it's not the same level but the issue in its general sense isn't exclusive to America.

Or indeed for politely agreeing to a drug search.

19 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Went to the states some years ago with the wife and we visited a woman in Albany she'd been penpals with for years. Whilst they chatted, the husband showed me round the house that he'd built himself. Everything perfectly normal then he showed me his gym in the basement - weights, punching bag and so on. It was here that he asked if I knew had to protect myself and "your woman".  He was concerned that we'd said we planned to go exploring towns and cities on our road trip so he started showing me self defence moves for when "some n***** comes at you with a knife". This of course meant showing off his knife collection and then his gun cupboards where he had half a dozen pistols and a couple of rifles. He ended up trying to loan me a pistol for the trip.

Awkward.

Did you take it?

45 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Awkward.

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Save money on your next holiday and go to Fife. Plenty of similar characters.

22 hours ago, Smurph said:

Killer Mike coming out with some good words.

That's a fantastic speech but tells you everything that's wrong with the US that the most liberal issue he can think of is the legalization of Cannabis, f**k free health care, don't fancy gun control, abortion rights, free education or ending salve labour in US prisons. It's utterly unbelievable.

I despair that the international community haven't really called the US out more, if this level of state violence was seen in the middle east, Africa or Asia there would be serious international condemnation

8 hours ago, TheGoon said:

What is the point in places putting down curfews? Surely that would only encourage more people to go as an act of defiance.

And then they can shoot them for breaking the curfew. For crying out loud man, join the dots.