George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

Chauvin deserves all he gets and more. 

I'm sure there's many a decent Yankee cop out there, but they don't half set a low bar with their legendary behaviour. 

As for racism, it exists across the planet and it needs ended, but the very c***s ie governments and the 1% are the ones driving it in their politics of division and big business paying slave wages and when it comes to mining and the like in Africa, exploiting the shit out of them in dangerous working conditions and shit wages, but we all need batteries for our new Tesla right and the 1% need to put bread on their table. 

For the most part, governments and the 1% could bring an end to the inequality at a stroke, but for different self serving reasons, they won't. 

If society as a whole, black and white, woke up to the fact that they are being used and joined ranks to hold all these c***s accountable we might see change, but its easier and suits so many just to believe the propaganda that keeps everyone at each others throats. 

No doubt this current wave of awareness will die off with no change, in the prejudices remaining. 

Until the next time, when it will be too late! 

Edited by BlueBear

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

A professor of African-American Studies makes an obvious point and gets abuse off of 'liberals' that are basically Randy from South Park. 

Well, I followed the link you posted and while I didn't read all 1,100+ comments, I did scroll through a fair few. I saw almost everyone disagreeing with him but nothing which could even be loosely interpreted as abuse *. I'm also not sure why you're so confident that those in disagreement are liberals. The conservatives I know personally and many more I've encountered online are very proud of being "tough on crime." My conservative friends are as disgusted as any other intelligent person at the double standards we see in the American courts.

A couple of examples of this were listed in the comments. I assume you saw them? One was of a court upholding the punishment of a man sentenced to LIFE in prison for the possession of marijuana. Another was of a man who has finally been released after 20 years in prison for...the theft of 2 shirts. 20 years for stealing 2 shirts. And we all know without being told what their skin colour is. I'll wait with patience on the right-wing media championing their cause with the same zeal they reserve for a white murderer.

Let's go over the facts once again. Derek Chauvin was a police officer, who swore an oath to uphold the law. His duty, indeed the very purpose of his job was to serve and protect the public. Instead, after numerous incidents of brutality (all swept under the rug by his superiors), he murdered a civilian in cold blood. On camera, in front of multiple witnesses. Chauvin is not the victim here and any cop who says otherwise is unfit to wear the badge. Given that he'll be out in around 15 years, yes, his sentence is bloody light. If you still can't see why so many people are angry about this then there really is no hope for you.

As for the professor you quoted. I would like to remind him of something else which is life destroying. Someone kneeling on your neck for 9 1/2 minutes.

* No abuse other than that from conservatives towards to liberals, obviously.

Edited by Shotgun

43 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Well, I followed the link you posted and while I didn't read all 1,100+ comments, I did scroll through a fair few. I saw almost everyone disagreeing with him but nothing which could even be loosely interpreted as abuse *. I'm also not sure why you're so confident that those in disagreement are liberals. The conservatives I know personally and many more I've encountered online are very proud of being "tough on crime." My conservative friends are as disgusted as any other intelligent person at the double standards we see in the American courts.

A couple of examples of this were listed in the comments. I assume you saw them? One was of a court upholding the punishment of a man sentenced to LIFE in prison for the possession of marijuana. Another was of a man who has finally been released after 20 years in prison for...the theft of 2 shirts. 20 years for stealing 2 shirts. And we all know without being told what their skin colour is. I'll wait with patience on the right-wing media championing their cause with the same zeal they reserve for a white murderer.

Let's go over the facts once again. Derek Chauvin was a police officer, who swore an oath to uphold the law. His duty, indeed the very purpose of his job was to serve and protect the public. Instead, after numerous incidents of brutality (all swept under the rug by his superiors), he murdered a civilian in cold blood. On camera, in front of multiple witnesses. Chauvin is not the victim here and any cop who says otherwise is unfit to wear the badge. Given that he'll be out in around 15 years, yes, his sentence is bloody light. If you still can't see why so many people are angry about this then there really is no hope for you.

As for the professor you quoted. I would like to remind him of something else which is life destroying. Someone kneeling on your neck for 9 1/2 minutes.

* No abuse other than that from conservatives towards to liberals, obviously.

The thread is full of liberals displaying the same kneejerk reactionary impulses as conservatives do. The other sentences referred to are obviously horrific but have nothing to with Chauvin and the people who are juvenile enough to think that his sentencing can somehow compensate for systemic racially biased verdicts and sentencing are the exact type of voters who will be exploited by politicians to ensure nothing changes. Demanding overly punitive sentencing is just being the reactionary mirror image of the right rather than a real left that set out its own terms.

This week Joe Biden said that unspent Covid relief should be used to increase police budgets. The end result of BLM has been more money for the police and a bill going through Congress right now that will increase sentencing for protestors in the future. Democratic politicians have benefited massively from the genuine 12 months ago then after they got the votes in November have completely turned on everyone who supported BLM. They can do that because those voters can't think logically.

Don’t really have any comments on the above but it’s common for well/meaning people to frame their issue with overzealous policing or law enforcement as a problem with the discriminatory application of it as opposed to just objecting to it entirely. I guess that’s the point of the tweet even if I’m not going to care that Derrida Chauvin has to do over a decade of prison time. Can see what Detourney’s hinting at though, Chauvin’s prison sentence is a plaster on the festering wound of America’s race and policing problems.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Don’t really have any comments on the above but it’s common for well/meaning people to frame their issue with overzealous policing or law enforcement as a problem with the discriminatory application of it as opposed to just objecting to it entirely. I guess that’s the point of the tweet even if I’m not going to care that Derrida Chauvin has to do over a decade of prison time. Can see what Detourney’s hinting at though, Chauvin’s prison sentence is a plaster on the festering wound of America’s race and policing problems.

Ive had some scary encounters with American police officers, scary in the sense of their views on things. Met one who did some similar youth work to me and made me shudder with the sorts of views they had.

15 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Can see what Detourney’s hinting at though, Chauvin’s prison sentence is a plaster on the festering wound of America’s race and policing problems.

Well sure; I don’t think you’ll find too many people disagreeing with that. The American legal system is severely fucked up. But…what? Chauvin shouldn’t get a severe punishment because it won’t solve racism? People shouldn’t be angry about the blatant double standards based on race? That’s not how it works. 

There are thousands of examples of injustice which this guy could’ve used to make his case for penal reform. That he chose Chauvin as his poster child speaks volumes. Conservatives are always in favor of harsh sentencing until it happens to one of their own and then it’s all about compassion and understanding.  And liberals bad. Always liberals bad. 

3 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Well sure; I don’t think you’ll find too many people disagreeing with that. The American legal system is severely fucked up. But…what? Chauvin shouldn’t get a severe punishment because it won’t solve racism? People shouldn’t be angry about the blatant double standards based on race? That’s not how it works. 

There are thousands of examples of injustice which this guy could’ve used to make his case for penal reform. That he chose Chauvin as his poster child speaks volumes. Conservatives are always in favor of harsh sentencing until it happens to one of their own and then it’s all about compassion and understanding.  And liberals bad. Always liberals bad. 

Yea, of course. Like I get the point being made but also nobody, prison abolitionists included, is going to shed a tear at Chauvin getting prison time.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Yea, of course. Like I get the point being made but also nobody, prison abolitionists included, is going to shed a tear at Chauvin getting prison time.

Rather than saying "nobody", I would qualify it as "No healthy minded person..."  On this side of the Atlantic at least, Chauvin has plenty of supporters pushing the narrative that Floyd deserved what was coming to him and that Chauvin should have been lauded as a hero. If you can stomach it, do a search for any Fox News article related to the murder, the investigation, the trial, or the sentence and read the comments section. It's nauseating. Not every conservative is on Chauvin's side but plenty are.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

This leaflet has been circulated in Bately as part of the by election. Clearly a fake. I wonder who is responsible?

09CA0D14-D789-4366-AB88-3E51B6D1F157.png

You can rule out Galloway because that’d involve him spending money and not just trousering it frantically. 

53 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

This leaflet has been circulated in Bately as part of the by election. Clearly a fake. I wonder who is responsible?

09CA0D14-D789-4366-AB88-3E51B6D1F157.png

For all the progress that has been made in trying to fight racism it’s frightening to realise just how little of the surface has been scrapped.

Not only do we need to try to overcome racism we have a constant battle against those exploiting it for their own narrow ends.  It’s pretty depressing and demoralising.

The other side of the leaflet. Sounds like it’s the Britain First candidate. It’s illegal to issue such leaflets in elections, I’d hope the cops are looking into it. The Batley by-election is an absolute shitshow, it must be one of the most disgusting campaigns in history.

9D59538E-9876-41CD-B07A-521196AE0388.png

20 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The other side of the leaflet. Sounds like it’s the Britain First candidate. It’s illegal to issue such leaflets in elections, I’d hope the cops are looking into it. The Batley by-election is an absolute shitshow, it must be one of the most disgusting campaigns in history.

Got to imagine whatever company printed this will be in the shit as well, lacks so many fundamentals of election campaign material that even if the printer thought it was the labour party it's obvious the TUC wouldn't be the ones promoting it.

On 28/06/2021 at 08:09, ICTChris said:

It gets better*

*much, much worse. This campaign has gone beyond the sewer. 

NINTCHDBPICT000662488199-1.jpg