George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

2 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Im sure Nationalists everywhere will be raging what an Unionist leaning Aberdeen fan says 😂 

Well it certainly got your attention.

I'm not having this, it's probably what 99% of people thought at the time.

In Edinburgh a placard has been attached to the statue of the philosopher David Hume drawing attention to his racism. It features a Hume quote saying: “I am apt to suspect the negroes to be naturally inferior to the whites.” Hume was a leading philosopher of the Scottish Enlightenment in the 18th century. He is still generally revered as a thinker, although increasing focus on his racist views has led to his reputation being reconsidered.

2215.jpg?width=780&quality=45&auto=forma

27 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

With no scientific basis behind it, I'll hazard a guess that every 19th or 18th century cnut who has a statue to himself, anywhere in the UK....maybe anywhere worldwide.... has some elements of his past that are unacceptable by modern values.

I apologise, because I'm confused by what some people in the UK want out of this. Do we want to exert pressure on the US government to clamp down on institutional racism ? Do we want a reaction from the UK government ?  Exactly what reaction ? Are we marching to have the Minneapolis police disbanded ? Or are we simply using the events in Minneapolis as an excuse for the far left lashing out ?

I wonder how many different reasons people in Bristol and London had yesterday for joining the demonstration. 

I think they want people in the UK to acknowledge that we have a huge problem with institutional racism too and stop looking at America and saying "f**k, they've got it bad there eh?".  

So what if folk have different reasons for marching for equality?

1 minute ago, Gerald Elbowdent said:

So now its "I skimmed over it"? Brilliant. 

Me: "Did you even bother listen to what the c***s were saying in the interview?"

You: "Yes I watched what they said"

So you told a blatant lie, and tried to debate the motivations of the video subject, when you didn't have a fucking clue what he did or didn't say? And you think out of the two of us , I'm the "frothing imbecile"? 🙄

Now now, your temper is the one thing you can’t get rid of by losing it.

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think they want people in the UK to acknowledge that we have a huge problem with institutional racism too and stop looking at America and saying "f**k, they've got it bad there eh?".  

So what if folk have different reasons for marching for equality?

I'd be quite happy to march for equality. 

It wouldn't come into head once though on that march to lob bricks at the police, scrawl graffiti on statues, or tow a statue and dump it in the river. 

As with any march or demonstration over the last few years, the vast majority come for their own, peaceful reasons. But as with pretty much any demonstration these days, there is a left wing element who are using peaceful protest as a cover for their own twisted fuckwittery. 

They're just as bad as the far right...maybe even more so, because their agenda undermines the (normally good) cause that the vast majority think they're supporting. 

1 hour ago, yoda said:

You've got to say fair play to people like Michael Stewart (and other "us poor wee oppressed Scotch" types) for having the brass neck to draw an equivalence between slavery and the Clearances.

Casually brushing Scottish involvement in the slave trade under the carpet for #numbers skZap6W.png

Stewart is constantly out of his depth on football matters, hundreds of years of subaltern history is probably not going to be his forte.

And of course, the ancestors of the Clearances were able to move beyond those times and in turn become the oppressors by, as Bonnie Greer puts it, escaping into their skin.

Edited by Savage Henry

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm not having this, it's probably what 99% of people thought at the time.

2215.jpg?width=780&quality=45&auto=forma

Agreed. A far better response to this is to explain why it is that even educated, intelligent people thought this at the time, why they were wrong and why people who still push this stuff today are also wrong. The same arguments are going around today but they're dressed up with points about IQ scores etc. For me, it's actually understandable how someone who hasn't thought enough about this might find that a persuasive argument but there's a mountain of evidence about why it's a very poor conclusion to draw. If we pretend it's a topic that can't even be discussed, then the evidence that knocks over these kinds of ideas easily aren't widely known.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

You got some parks out of it you ungrateful serf.

And the Carnegie libraries, presumably. (Although that didn't come from the slave trade, so maybe scrap them.)

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

A black professor at Glasgow Uni wanted a plaque put in place explaining he was a slave owner. Fair enough but Dundas was pretty much a cnut to everyone who wasn't a Tory so a full explanation board would be a good idea.

Burns was prepared at one point in his life to work as an overseer in the Plantations- let's tear all the Rabbie statues down?

Let's be honest, his poems are a lot of shite anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'd be quite happy to march for equality. 

It wouldn't come into head once though on that march to lob bricks at the police, scrawl graffiti on statues, or tow a statue and dump it in the river. 

As with any march or demonstration over the last few years, the vast majority come for their own, peaceful reasons. But as with pretty much any demonstration these days, there is a left wing element who are using peaceful protest as a cover for their own twisted fuckwittery. 

They're just as bad as the far right...maybe even more so, because their agenda undermines the (normally good) cause that the vast majority think they're supporting. 

I don't think anyone condones people lobbing bricks around. I don't know about you, but there are a large number of people I know who didn't even realise that half of Glasgows streets are named after slave traders, so I'd say some graffiti/statue toppling is probably serving a purpose. The very fact that we aren't educated on that sort of history at school is a huge part of these protests IMO. 

Not really interested in a debate about who is worse between the extremes of the political spectrum.

5 minutes ago, Gerald Elbowdent said:

Just sIt down and take the L champ, you've had an absolute nightmare here.

It’s you who is having a nightmare here but you are too stupid and angry to notice.

All these guys are doing is cleaning up something that they respect that got vandalised and you’re jumping in with two feet calling them bootlickers as you disagree with their political point of view.

Do you always get this angry when people disagree with you?