The Office Uk

TheScarf

1 hour ago, yoda said:

I've tried the US version but struggle to get past a season or two because I fall into the trap of comparing them. It's just not as good.

I have stumbled upon a tried, trusted and thoroughly tested method to instantly find out if a new person you have met is going to be sound or not. You ask them ‘Do you like the UK Office better than the US Office?...

If they start to say things like ‘well I watched the US Office on Netflix and it’s actually’...     or

’I didn’t really get the UK version but the US one was....’ 

...then these are warning signs that will be unable to be ignored. There is only one other question that can redeem someone who holds these views, and that is ‘Do you like Alan Partridge?’... if they say yes then the previous statements can be ignored, and you can then shout ‘Ahaaaaaaaa’ at them, the closer the better and also with your arms spread wide. The reasons for this are two fold, firstly to see if they are being truthful about liking AP (it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had someone tell me they like AP only in order to disguise their disregard to the UK Office), and secondly to start a conversation of AP quotes, which I love. (M62, Dan, that’s 10 minutes Lynn etc.) 

Edited by IrishBhoy

23 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

As I said a few pages back, David walking out his office singing along to the complete wrong tune has me close to rolling around my floor laughing every time I see it (not literally). I don’t think we should be crucifying Tim because he smirks at it. 

I don't think he's singing the wrong tune - I think he's singing the B section of the piece  when the other two have been singing the A section - Brent gets it right, as we would expect, imo.

Also, in Tim/Martin Freeman's defense, it was probably hard to keep a straight face during the takes for that scene.  

Edited by paranoid android

15 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I don't think he's singing the wrong tune - I think he's singing the B section of the piece  when the other two have been singing the A section - Brent gets it right, as we would expect, imo. 

I will be honest I didn’t know there was a ‘B’ side, I actually know the tune better as the song on the advert of the BN biscuits. 

On your second point I would agree, watching the Office outtakes is a monthly occurrence. It actually makes me want to become an actor in a comedy show just so I can laugh at everything. 

Edit - Watching that video, Martin Freeman makes it clear he was much more professional on set than Gervais. In the outtakes from Season 1 at Tim’s appraisal, there is a bit where Freeman says to Gervais ‘I never want to have to ask you this ever again, but what are you going to do next?’ 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Just on the subject of outtakes (I know it was me who brought them up), but for any fans of League of Gentlemen/Inside No. 9/Reece Shearsmith, if you haven’t seen this set of outtakes from Peter Kay’s Car Share, then you are in luck. I actually think it’s some of his best work. 

Skip to 1.18 to get to the good stuff  

Edited by IrishBhoy

27 minutes ago, fraser_smfc said:

I thought we said no Peter Kay's Car Share, or am I

Different videos for different needs, so...

It is very funny though you should watch it. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They definitely shouldn't be compared because they're so different.

They did try to totally remake it in the first episode of the US series, but it went down so incredibly bad it nearly cancelled the whole series. They had elements of the UK series in the first season of the US one but it was less and less as that season went on and by the second they realised that they (US) were a totally different thing and since them it was 

This

15 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I have stumbled upon a tried, trusted and thoroughly tested method to instantly find out if a new person you have met is going to be sound or not. You ask them ‘Do you like the UK Office better than the US Office?...

If they start to say things like ‘well I watched the US Office on Netflix and it’s actually’...     or

’I didn’t really get the UK version but the US one was....’ 

...then these are warning signs that will be unable to be ignored. There is only one other question that can redeem someone who holds these views, and that is ‘Do you like Alan Partridge?’... if they say yes then the previous statements can be ignored, and you can then shout ‘Ahaaaaaaaa’ at them, the closer the better and also with your arms spread wide. The reasons for this are two fold, firstly to see if they are being truthful about liking AP (it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had someone tell me they like AP only in order to disguise their disregard to the UK Office), and secondly to start a conversation of AP quotes, which I love. (M62, Dan, that’s 10 minutes Lynn etc.) 

Not this

17 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

As I said a few pages back, David walking out his office singing along to the complete wrong tune has me close to rolling around my floor laughing every time I see it (not literally). I don’t think we should be crucifying Tim because he smirks at it. 

It's not the wrong tune, this is actually how it goes.

15 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

What age are you? Posting pictures of a fake irony gauge on a Saturday night to try and make a GENUINELY nice guy feel bad. 

Its not fake m9

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

What she needs is a good shaggin'.

Do it yourself I've gotta save some Africans!

Some folk on this thread might be aware of it already, but "Wernham Blogg" is an excellent Office podcast. They review every episode in depth as well as touching on some major talking points and debates from over the two seasons, and it's a genuinely decent laugh as well. Well worth checking out if you haven't already. 

It must be absolutely exhausting being Brent. He's 'on' all the time. Keeping up the act must be so tiring, but dodging the truth/reality that he's so obviously terrified (and well aware) of must be so mentally draining.

He's constantly running to try and keep ahead of his biggest fears, mainly that he isn't universally liked and that most folk don't find him funny and that he's painfully alone and has wasted his life. 

It's only when he meets his date for the Christmas party that he can take a breath and relax, and just be himself and realise that he's been wasting all his energy running. He physically is more at ease and you can see him readily mingling and being accepted (rather than folk trying to get away from him), from which we infer he's just being himself and not a desperate try hard.

Brent's professional life is everything to him, because he has basically no personal life - no relationship, no family, few genuine friends (we hear of Donna's parents, for example, but that's about it - I'm not counting Chris or anybody associated with Wernham Hogg, because they're all either forced or one-sided).

I think that's one of the main reasons why he's always 'switched on'. If he had been in a committed relationship with, say, someone like Carol from the beginning of filming Series 1, I sense we might have seen a much more relaxed, likeable and self-assured person.