Marcus Rashford

16 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I don't watch his tv show, and don't use Twitter. Really wasn't the point

It is a little bit though when you say I’ve been “taken in” by him because I occasionally watch his highlights on twitter and enjoy his input during the pandemic. 

3 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

People don't vote in a Tory government so that starving children get fed. Boris needs to get his house in order here.

Tory mp Ben Bradley is raging about this just now in the commons...thats the tory that thinks poor people should have vasectomies 

Just now, throbber said:

It is a little bit though when you say I’ve been “taken in” by him because I occasionally watch his highlights on twitter and enjoy his input during the pandemic. 

Not sure how that one works but fair enough. You didn't just say you enjoy his input during the pandemic though did you? If you like him that's fine, but you can't just ignore the fact he's a history of being a reprehensible fud. If you  can't see this is just a part of his constant cycle of being a roaster and then rehabilitating his public image then you absolutely have been taken in by him. If you just don't care then that's another thing, and good for you. 

Sad to see that Throbber has been radicalized by Piers Morgan.

He'll be hacking dead girl's phones and screaming abuse at Greggs for selling vegan stuff in no time.

I hope more footballers (and others with a high profile) have realised what an influence they can have on the issues important to them and the rest of the country. I’m all for taking the piss out of the uselessness of the Labour Party at the moment, but let’s not pretend that the rareness of a young PL footballer getting so openly political isn’t a huge contributor to the u-turn.

To a large portion of the population, politics is just politics and it seems a bit like an endless game of cat and mouse, which is why Starmer and Labour MPs fighting for FSM wasn’t effective in the first place (as well as their weak-as-piss opposition to the Tories).

Interesting to see if Labour use this to their advantage to try and get Rashford on board to actively campaign on their behalf in the future.

47 minutes ago, smpar said:

To a large portion of the population, politics is just politics

It really, really pisses me off when folk say they're not interested, or don't care, about politics because it doesn't affect them. It affects literally everything you do.

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

It really, really pisses me off when folk say they're not interested, or don't care, about politics because it doesn't affect them. It affects literally everything you do.

Yep, me too.

"So, you're not interested in politics? Well, your boss is, the folk that decide how much tax you pay are, the people who decide who goes to jail, why and for how long are, the folk who decides whether you get the potholes fixed are, the people who decide whether your town gets a theatre or a swimming pool (or a local government expenses scandal) are..."

One has the ability to influence almost every facet of one's life, however slightly, just by putting a cross on a piee of paper. A little bit les slightly if one talks about what's important to them, and engage with other voters, even less slightly by getting involved with a Party (as supporter, acivist or, who knows, candidate).

The tragedy of our age is, that after centuries of activists shouting, bawling, marching, arguing and dying to bring us to a time of Universal Suffrage*, so many lazy, ignorant bástards spit on their memory by coming out with shite like, "they're all the same" or "my vote doesn't matter*", and care more about who wins fucking Love Island than who runs the country. A cross on a ballot every couple of years or so is too much to sk from these lazy, lazy bastárds.

Before we get to the ideal of PR, I wouldn't mind giving compulsory voting a shot. I have a good idea which parties would benefit, mind, so don't hold your breath.

Rant over, as you were.

*Individually, mine doesn't matter in General Elections, as this is a safe Tory seat. Local and European, different story, and I can also talk to and persuade friends and workmates from neighbouring constituencies.

“They’re all the same, we’re fucked either way” is sadly the attitude of millions.