Lewis Capaldi hatred thread

4 hours ago, pandarilla said:

But he also writes brilliant lyrics. Anyone who has given it a proper listen and doesn't rate his lyrics is probably worth ignoring completely. Yes he's tapped into a niche neddy market (here we, here we, here we fucking go) - but if you can't see past that then you're probably being a snob. He's writing from a perspective that doesn't get any positive attention in society (the so called underclass), and he's doing it very well.

I'm not really up for subjecting myself to more songs of Cinnamon to witness this excellent perspective of the so called underclass, could you give me a short example of what you mean?

The reason that Sheeran, Capaldi, GC, Ezra etc get such a response is because the concept of a pop star has completely changed since social media started. 
Back in the old days pop stars were people like Prince, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Kate Bush, Bowie who were huge charismatic figures who weren't at all relatable but were aspirational. Their fans wanted to be like but them but knew never would be.
Ed Sheeran fans are so boring that their icon is someone just as boring as them. It's a completely different mindset. The aim is for everything to be as homogeneous as possible. 
Has capaldi done enough to be compared to sheeran, and even George ezra.

They've both been very successful over a number of years.

I'm maybe being really harsh on capaldi but is other stuff really breaking through?

I'm not really up for subjecting myself to more songs of Cinnamon to witness this excellent perspective of the so called underclass, could you give me a short example of what you mean?
I'm currently in a queue for a recycling tip but I might do this later.

Surely there's a gerry cinnamon thread though, so I'd stick it there.

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Sounds like a fair enough assertion, although I wonder if shows like The X Factor are more to blame for the shift than social media.

I think the appeal of the reality shows was all about the cruelty in rejecting contenstants. That moment has passed though. This is a good article about that https://tribunemag.co.uk/2020/06/the-blair-show

The popularity of Capaldi is down to the Like Button culture where a generation of young people have been conditioned to desire constant validation from their peers via social media. The easiest way to do that is to conform in a non threatening way.

57 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I think the appeal of the reality shows was all about the cruelty in rejecting contenstants. That moment has passed though. This is a good article about that https://tribunemag.co.uk/2020/06/the-blair-show

The popularity of Capaldi is down to the Like Button culture where a generation of young people have been conditioned to desire constant validation from their peers via social media. The easiest way to do that is to conform in a non threatening way.

Good read that, ta for that. Was more wondering if the non-threatening milquetoast pop star cultivation started on shows like that; nice, safe, mass-market "look at me I'm just like the plebs" appeal manufactured by Simon Cowell (with all the tragic backstory tropes that it inspired), and now social media is driving that even more.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

This topic is a bit like middle aged men getting annoyed by Greta Thunberg. Capaldi writes and sings horrendous music however when your song is parodied by Alicia Keys at the most watched television award show on the planet you must be doing something right. I was subjected to Cinnamon at Trnsmt where it seemed that everyone around me knew every word to every shitty song he sang which concerned the f**k out of me. I know who I would prefer to go for a pint with and I think in the grand scheme of things is all that really matters.

8 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:

This topic is a bit like middle aged men getting annoyed by Greta Thunberg. Capaldi writes and sings horrendous music however when your song is parodied by Alicia Keys at the most watched television award show on the planet you must be doing something right. I was subjected to Cinnamon at Trnsmt where it seemed that everyone around me knew every word to every shitty song he sang which concerned the f**k out of me. I know who I would prefer to go for a pint with and I think in the grand scheme of things is all that really matters.

I'd rather go on my own.

8 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Wait, there are genuinely folk that rate capaldi and don't rate cinnamon?

And just to be clear I'm taking about the music they produce, nothing to do with the type of person they are, or how annoying their fans are. Just the quality of the music.

You think capaldi is better?

f**k me.

I’m not sure what you mean by “quality of the music” but Lewis Capaldi is undoubtably a better singer than Gerry Cinnamon.
Is Lewis Capaldi “better”, better at what exactly? I’m not a massive fan of either of their music, but Capaldi has been the more successful, regardless of how much it pains you.