Played out tropes in TV and Film

The OP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Going into a room, seemingly oblivious to the fact you could get locked in, and then surprise surprise, being locked in.

^^^ Prison cell

On 16/07/2024 at 15:18, itzdrk said:

The depiction of the black person in that is horrific.  

Welcome to the Eighties, where a literal parade of African-American stereotypes was one of the most popular adverts of the decade.

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Hacking into someone's computer by guessing the correct combination of kids names and birthdays

For a worrying number of people, combinations of kids' names and birthdays are far too much work. When I worked in IT, I met people who cheerfully admitted to using things like 'password' for their logins.

I just had to have a conversation with my adult son about why 1234 was a bad passcode to use on a financial app, so clearly I have failed as a parent.

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Hacking into someone's computer by guessing the correct combination of kids names and birthdays

Also looking about and seeing a pic of the family pet, usually a dog, with the name clearly displayed on its collar, typing it in and bingo...............

• 2 weeks later...

"Legend tells of a prophecy. Who made this prophecy? We're not going to tell you. Why does anyone care about this prophecy? Who knows. Only one thing is for sure; this prophecy will play out over the course of this film, and will be demonstrated to have been 100% correct".

What a strange bunch of superstitious bumpkins we all are, fantasising about realities where our lives are predetermined.

8 hours ago, BFTD said:

"Legend tells of a prophecy. Who made this prophecy? We're not going to tell you. Why does anyone care about this prophecy? Who knows. Only one thing is for sure; this prophecy will play out over the course of this film, and will be demonstrated to have been 100% correct".

What a strange bunch of superstitious bumpkins we all are, fantasising about realities where our lives are predetermined.

I knew you were going to say that.

Main character in show is temporarily blinded.  Last scene in show has doctors remove bandages from eyes and they can see again!  Yahoo!

Never explained why bandages were applied in the first place.  Obviously some gruesome eye surgery that nobody wants to know about.

10 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Main character in show is temporarily blinded.  Last scene in show has doctors remove bandages from eyes and they can see again!  Yahoo!

Never explained why bandages were applied in the first place.  Obviously some gruesome eye surgery that nobody wants to know about.

Probably exposure to P&B's Junior Forum

As someone is being arrested, a love interest shouts some pish like "Wait, that's my husband!" Instead of the cops telling them to STFU and get out of the way, they stop, take a step back and say "Aye, on you go pal" before allowing them a 5 minute conversation.

He's just murdered 5 people, but yeah, feel free to have a chat about whether or not he did the dishes before he left the house this morning

Hero (or villain) makes a getaway on a bike/in a car in a large city with multiple directions, villain (or hero) gets on another bike/in a car and chases after them, a good ten to fifteen seconds later

Next scene theres literally not even a second between them (john wick 3 im looking at you here) 

City escapes are the worst, at every junction theres 3 different routes to take to escape, after 3 junctions theres no way the chasers would have a f**king clue where you went 

• 2 weeks later...

Hero is in a hand to hand fight with antagonist. Hero has been momentarily incapacitated while antagonist has the advantage. As Hero starts to get up the antagonist, who just needs to silently step towards the Hero and end him, for no other reason than plot convenience decides to let out a growl or a roar as he makes his final move, giving our hero the necessary notice to mount his final defence.

On 03/09/2024 at 17:20, 54_and_counting said:

Hero (or villain) makes a getaway on a bike/in a car in a large city with multiple directions, villain (or hero) gets on another bike/in a car and chases after them, a good ten to fifteen seconds later

Next scene theres literally not even a second between them (john wick 3 im looking at you here) 

City escapes are the worst, at every junction theres 3 different routes to take to escape, after 3 junctions theres no way the chasers would have a f**king clue where you went 

This is a huge one in video games too. I was playing LA Noire again recently, and if you f**k up any of the high-speed chases, you'll find them slowly creeping along the street waiting for you to catch up  :P

'Rubber-banding', I think it's called.