Played out tropes in TV and Film

The OP

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Nicola Coughlan, one of the Derry Girls, is 36

4 out of the 5 actors who play the main "kids" are in their 30's.

I'm sure the guys in The Inbetweeners were all mid-late 20's when the films were done as well.

48 minutes ago, Al B said:

I'm sure the guys in The Inbetweeners were all mid-late 20's when the films were done as well.

Which made the ending pay off. They arrive back at the airport looking more like the age the actors are, they've visibly finally  grown up the story delivers closure

8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Nicola Coughlan, one of the Derry Girls, is 36

I've never watched it, but that's tremendous - looks like she was in her thirties when it started  :lol:

IIRC, the lassie who played the moaning girl who hangs around the lavvies with Harry Potter was in her forties. I mean, you'd take the money and everything, but surely she was wondering what was wrong with people's eyes.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've never watched it, but that's tremendous - looks like she was in her thirties when it started  :lol:

IIRC, the lassie who played the moaning girl who hangs around the lavvies with Harry Potter was in her forties. I mean, you'd take the money and everything, but surely she was wondering what was wrong with people's eyes.

44 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Reddit, 4chan, P&B...you don't half get around, Miguel!

"What the f**k is JK Rowling's problem?" appears to be a common topic for discussion across the internet.

That picture took me a while to figure out because she looks exactly like Harry Potter in it.

On 22/10/2023 at 12:10, BFTD said:

How weird it must feel to be a twentysomething actor playing schoolchildren in films. No wonder some states card people for booze sales at stupidly high ages - nobody knows what a teenager actually looks like!

When Sally Thomsett played an 11 year old in the Railway Children, she wasn't allowed to be seen drinking, smoking, talking to her boyfriend or driving around in her sports car.

She is older than Jenny Agutter who played her older sister.

4 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

When Sally Thomsett played an 11 year old in the Railway Children, she wasn't allowed to be seen drinking, smoking, talking to her boyfriend or driving around in her sports car.

She is older than Jenny Agutter who played her older sister.

10 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

That picture took me a while to figure out because she looks exactly like Harry Potter in it.

So she does  :mellow:

Just when you thought it couldn't get weirder.

• 5 weeks later...

Character runs off shouting at another character "get [name] on the phone!". They don't give any indication of what they want to talk to them about so the conversation would obviously be completely pointless and would have been much easier if they'd just phoned themselves.

Lengthy speeches from someone that knows they're dying. Their last words are always something inspiring and profound which will play a crucial part in the plot later on, and never "AAAAAGH MY FUCKING SPLEEEN AAAAAAAGH GET A DOCTOR YOU TWAAAAAAAT!".

• 4 weeks later...

Sex scenes where the lassie keeps her bra on. Silly and unrealistic.

See also the morning after where the couple gave quite obviously had sex and she's naked, but she covers herself with the duvet.

I ken it's to keep it certificate appropriate, but it always takes me out of the film or program.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

See also the morning after where the couple gave quite obviously had sex and she's naked, but she covers herself with the duvet.

I ken it's to keep it certificate appropriate, but it always takes me out of the film or program.

Sex and the City, a program I've obviously never watched, was amusing for this. Everyone got their tits out at some point except for Sarah Jessica Parker, so you got the impression that professional sex author Carrie Bradshaw was such a prude that she never took off her underwear when getting pumped.

(not that I'm complaining because I wouldn't want to see that anyway, and because I've never watched that show, as I believe I already mentioned)

2 hours ago, velo army said:

Mate... if you're that desperate to see a pair of tits just go on the NSFW forum

DOYOUAGREE?

On 20/12/2023 at 20:04, velo army said:

It's like the actress has gone 'Yes I'll do a sex scene but I'm not getting naked for it'.  I wonder how many disappointed creepy directors there have been over the years at that stance.

I agree though, it's half arsing it and it's not realistic.  Either do it properly or don't do it at all.

On 20/12/2023 at 20:04, velo army said:

The old L-shaped bed sheets. You can see a man's nipples not not a woman's.

Edited by scottsdad

• 2 weeks later...

A man and woman flirting with each other enter a lift. The lift doors close. 

Cut to the next floor, the lift doors open and they are snogging, or rearranging their clothes having had a fumble.

What is it about metal fart boxes that drives these people wild?

A person is driving their car, they see another car has been behind them for 0.3 seconds, they get extremely anxious and think they’re being followed, 0.4 seconds later that other car turns away and is gone, they are relieved. That’s until a third car rams them off the road.