Played out tropes in TV and Film

The OP

• 1 month later...

Two good guys are fighting the bad guy.  One of the good guys (often a man)  tells the other good guy (often a woman) to run away and she does.  The bad guy gradually gets the upper hand and is about to kill the remaining good guy but guess what - the other guy (or gal as the case may be) has not totally run away.  In fact she is back - armed with a big stick, which she uses to whack the bad guy over the head and knock him out.  Hooray for the good guys!!

two rivals grudgingly team-up and engage with a common enemy. One is about to be shot in battle by someone who blindsides him but the other rival sees this and shoots that particular attacker. Camera pans in to a close up face shot where the two rivals nod at one another, nothing more, showing a restrained mutual respect. Battle continues.  

• 1 month later...

If someone gets punched they will always conveniently find something hard like a rock or a step to hit their head on their way down causing life threatening injuries rather than just fall onto some soft grass and get straight back up 

19 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

If someone gets punched they will always conveniently find something hard like a rock or a step to hit their head on their way down causing life threatening injuries rather than just fall onto some soft grass and get straight back up 

And if they do land softly from the punch, there's hardly ever any blood or damage to their face.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

And if they do land softly from the punch, there's hardly ever any blood or damage to their face.

They can also get punched about twenty times and get back up when in reality one of them would knock them out. 

On 06/07/2023 at 18:18, Rugster said:

They can also get punched about twenty times and get back up when in reality one of them would knock them out. 

And when the good guy finally lands one on the villain, it knocks them down and instead of walking over and smashing the villains head in, the good guy decides to run away leaving the villain alive

Before mobile phones all American teenagers communicated at night by walkie talkies in their bedroom.

This may have changed, not seen any in a while, but all televisions in British soap operas were only there for decoration as they were never on. Consequently,  people never had a conversation starting, did you see ......... on telly last night?

All American gangster families have at least one great chef and must contain at least one cooking scene.

Apart from Bob Hoskins in Roger Rabbit, I can't think of another movies I've seen someone doing the dishes.

All commercial kitchens are absolutely gleaming and nothing is ever left lying around in a mess like in real kitchens.

On 07/07/2023 at 21:34, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Apart from Bob Hoskins in Roger Rabbit, I can't think of another movies I've seen someone doing the dishes.

I remember the Tom Hanks character in The Green Mile cosying up to his missus at the sink. Whether she was doing the dishes though I can't remember that....

10 hours ago, sfha said:

I remember the Tom Hanks character in The Green Mile cosying up to his missus at the sink. Whether she was doing the dishes though I can't remember that....

She was. The other one that springs to mind is Martin Sheen and his missus in Catch Me If You Can. 

On 07/07/2023 at 21:34, Musketeer Gripweed said:

All commercial kitchens are absolutely gleaming and nothing is ever left lying around in a mess like in real kitchens.

Honestly, that is some fetish!

"Excuse me, have you got any DVDs that has got people, you know, dishwashing., 'Confessions of a Dishwasher', 'Carry on Dishwashing', that sort of thing?"

On 27/04/2023 at 14:22, Bert Raccoon said:

Same with Serial Killers, "he was a quiet man, always kept himself to himself" so would you if your house was full of mutilated body parts 

Kinda similar but when someone goes missing and everyone is saying it’s such a shock and so out of character and then it turns out some absolutely insane stuff has been happening in their life. 

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

American schools where the teachers are terrible and can't plan their lessons properly and the bell goes while they're in the middle of teaching something.

Often accompanied by (shouting over the noise of kids getting up to leave) "Remember, read chapters 8 and 9 for tomorrow!"

1 hour ago, The Golden God said:

Tbf, can’t be easy for them when the classes last 3 minutes and there’s only 3 per year. 

Well, the actors playing the students have to get home to the wives/husbands and kids.

On 20/10/2023 at 10:06, GordonD said:

Well, the actors playing the students have to get home to the wives/husbands and kids.

How weird it must feel to be a twentysomething actor playing schoolchildren in films. No wonder some states card people for booze sales at stupidly high ages - nobody knows what a teenager actually looks like!

You sometimes see it with even younger actors too, where a kid who is clearly about to enter their teens suddenly starts acting like a much younger child and you realise that the character's been 7 or 8 the whole time  :wacko:

On 22/10/2023 at 12:10, BFTD said:

How weird it must feel to be a twentysomething actor playing schoolchildren in films. No wonder some states card people for booze sales at stupidly high ages - nobody knows what a teenager actually looks like!

You sometimes see it with even younger actors too, where a kid who is clearly about to enter their teens suddenly starts acting like a much younger child and you realise that the character's been 7 or 8 the whole time  :wacko:

Nicola Coughlan, one of the Derry Girls, is 36