Played out tropes in TV and Film

The OP

35 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

yeh I comment on this all the time. Mansion-esque in size and scale and whenever an unexpected guest arrives, the couch becomes the only spare room/bed....

And also where the street door opens directly into the living room - no lobby or hallway.

Every house in America has an ancient paraffin lamp hidden away for use when the power goes off and a big spooky monster is creeping about the place.

(that might actually be true in some areas due to their poor infrastructure, but surely you'd rather keep a torch than a container of flammable liquids these days)

5 minutes ago, GordonD said:

And also where the street door opens directly into the living room - no lobby or hallway.

That's actually how a lot of homes are built over there, for both poor folk and those with a bit of money. Depends on the state/city, I think. Pretty common in the West. But yeah, it feels weird.

• 3 weeks later...

Kids in shows where it’s not typically about the kids, say a main character has one after a few seasons, are either complete perfect angels, or complete arseholes. There’s no inbetween. Main example of this is that wee fud Jamie from One Tree Hill, the absolute golden child who’s sometimes the voice of reason even though he’s like 5 years old. Then you’ve got his mate Chuck who is just a p***k the whole time.

14 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Kids in shows where it’s not typically about the kids, say a main character has one after a few seasons, are either complete perfect angels, or complete arseholes. There’s no inbetween. Main example of this is that wee fud Jamie from One Tree Hill, the absolute golden child who’s sometimes the voice of reason even though he’s like 5 years old. Then you’ve got his mate Chuck who is just a p***k the whole time.

Another trope about kids is that they often vanish. A couple will have a kid, and a few months later the couple is getting up to all sorts (work, parties, whatever) with no sign of the kid. Soaps are the worst for this.

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Another trope about kids is that they often vanish. A couple will have a kid, and a few months later the couple is getting up to all sorts (work, parties, whatever) with no sign of the kid. The Royal Family is the worst for this.

FTFY

On 22/10/2022 at 18:01, GordonD said:

I've actually seen a fair few houses like this. The living rooms must be freezing in winter.

Edited by sfha

On 11/11/2022 at 08:39, scottsdad said:

Another trope about kids is that they often vanish. A couple will have a kid, and a few months later the couple is getting up to all sorts (work, parties, whatever) with no sign of the kid. Soaps are the worst for this.

Another one about kids is that there will be one who acts like they're all cool and hard and not bothered by stuff, but when shit goes down they start bawling and screaming like wee bitches.

Just once I'd love to see a character call the wee p***k kid out on this.

1 minute ago, sfha said:

Tossing the head back after taking tablets?!?!? Just take a f**king drink with it.

Indeed, I always use water to do it, but tried it once dry and it was an experience, and not a good one.

My ex-wife could swallow like a champ. Handful of tablets three times a day, all in a oner; nae bather.
Do any other P&Bers find it easy to suppress their gag reflex?

I’m a big gagger, but can swallow dry no bother at all.

Fnar fnar.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

My ex-wife could swallow like a champ. Handful of tablets three times a day, all in a oner; nae bather.

Do any other P&Bers find it easy to suppress their gag reflex?

Ummmmmmm.

Man is arrested for an accidental crime. He learns that he must do certain things to survive inside. He must join a gang. He must fight. He probably will have to kill.

Meanwhile the wife is concerned, increasingly so with each visit. Despite the husband repeatedly telling her that things work differently inside, she remains comically naive to the situation. In fact she pretty much refuses to believe that things don't function like normal society in prison and is inexplicably mad at him for this.