Played out tropes in TV and Film

The OP

13 hours ago, GordonD said:

Did I imagine it or did Tom Cruise need to get to the ground floor of a multi-storey car park in a hurry so he drove over the edge and assumed the airbag would protect him? (It did.)

I think I have seen that in other films as well.

Surely worthy of "Don't try this at home Kids" but fortunately most people don't live in multi-storey car parks so the problem isn't there. 😀

16 hours ago, GordonD said:

Did I imagine it or did Tom Cruise need to get to the ground floor of a multi-storey car park in a hurry so he drove over the edge and assumed the airbag would protect him? (It did.)

Yeah mission impossible: ghost protocol i think, quite a few stunts in that film are wild, 

Action movies where women who are barely 9 stone soaking wet manage to best men significantly stronger than them. Some movies get this right. Atomic Blonde is a great example. Charlize Theron bulked up and looks the part, and even then she struggles hugely and only just makes it out alive. Having Ana De Armas in James Bond was an example of the increasing ridiculousness of this though. She's totie, but manages to rough up a bunch of 15 stone beefcakes as well as firing two pretty heavy guns at the same time. A bit too much of a suspension of disbelief required for that. 

6 hours ago, velo army said:

Action movies where women who are barely 9 stone soaking wet manage to best men significantly stronger than them. Some movies get this right. Atomic Blonde is a great example. Charlize Theron bulked up and looks the part, and even then she struggles hugely and only just makes it out alive. Having Ana De Armas in James Bond was an example of the increasing ridiculousness of this though. She's totie, but manages to rough up a bunch of 15 stone beefcakes as well as firing two pretty heavy guns at the same time. A bit too much of a suspension of disbelief required for that. 

For oriental women the younger and cuter they look the more deadly they are

For oriental men the older and more decrepit they look the more deadly they are

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Car/bike chase etc through a city, chaser gets blocked off, slams on the brakes, stops, curses, reverses then goes down another street, 2 mins later either catches up with the escapee or worse, cuts them off 

Nah no having that, most city blocks are a good distance plus there's 3 directions the escapee can go every junction, what are the odds the chaser makes it back to the original route, makes up the time lost then makes even more time to cut off the escapee 

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2023 at 16:43, velo army said:

John Wick 4 another example of getting this right. Young lassie barely 9 stone bests a 15 st guy but does it through being fast and clever. It also takes a fair bit of time. Wonderful action scene.

36 minutes ago, velo army said:

John Wick 4 another example of getting this right. Young lassie barely 9 stone bests a 15 st guy but does it through being fast and clever. It also takes a fair bit of time. Wonderful action scene.

I get the impression that a lot of guys wildly overestimate their effectiveness in a fight.

Despite being well over 6ft, I'm pretty sure a wee woman who knew how to box could put me on my arse quite comfortably, even if I wasn't already paying her to.

16 minutes ago, BTFD said:

I get the impression that a lot of guys wildly overestimate their effectiveness in a fight.

Despite being well over 6ft, I'm pretty sure a wee woman who knew how to box could put me on my arse quite comfortably, even if I wasn't already paying her to.

I'm not one of the heavy lads to whom I was referring.

I'm talking about men with 15st of muscle instead of the adipose storage I've been cultivating. Trained men getting their arse handed to them by Ana De Armas, Kristen Stewart or similar is daft. 

If you had Michael Cera doing that it would have to be a comedy. Having female stars who look handy (Angelina Jolie in Lara Croft or Charlize Theron in Atomic Blonde being ideal examples) takes care of the belief suspension, especially in Atomic Blonde where the fight scenes were brutal.

25 minutes ago, BTFD said:

^^^@Shandon Par alias found

7 minutes ago, velo army said:

I'm not one of the heavy lads to whom I was referring.

I'm talking about men with 15st of muscle instead of the adipose storage I've been cultivating. Trained men getting their arse handed to them by Ana De Armas, Kristen Stewart or similar is daft. 

If you had Michael Cera doing that it would have to be a comedy. Having female stars who look handy (Angelina Jolie in Lara Croft or Charlize Theron in Atomic Blonde being ideal examples) takes care of the belief suspension, especially in Atomic Blonde where the fight scenes were brutal.

Clearly they wildly underestimated their effectiveness in a fight!

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

^^^@Shandon Par alias found

SP batters himself senseless with no help required.

Edit: underestimated? You know what I mean!

Edited by BTFD

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

That scene in the last James Bond with the bird in the cocktail dress and heels doing gymnastics while shooting folk like she was in the Matrix was shite.

Very much Unpopular Opinions thread for that, considering how everyone was spooging over it at the time!

Still more believable (and less lazy) than that lassie in stilettos outrunning a T-Rex in Jurassic Park 4 (or whatever).