WoSFL Premier Division thread

1 minute ago, Lokloyal said:

Lok are a totally distinct entity from a different part of the City so moving areas just doesn’t work-even if you are tongue in cheek!

Different part of the city?

Shawlands to Mount Florida 

It's hardly Nitshill to Easterhouse.

2 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Different part of the city?

Shawlands to Mount Florida 

It's hardly Nitshill to Easterhouse.

Even small margins make a difference in a City.And encroaching on another teams area -particularly an established team-just doesn’t work for the future of a club or support. 

Let’s not be silly - Lesser’s capacity will only be around 900 too. 

but seriously, what was the issue? Is it a safety certificate thing for terraces - and need some remedial work to increase? Or is it around access / segregation / etc?

From a neutral standpoint, Newlandsfields looks a good old fashioned ground that should easily be able to accommodate ~3,000 or so. 

4 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Really think every champion club should go up automatically - if criteria is met. Scottish non Lge club's don't get massive support compared to down south but, the changes that many clubs have already made - grounds, floodlights, gaining licenses has been absolutely brilliant. To see the changes made, at a decent cost, proves these clubs have taken this seriously and deserve the pyramid to work better in the future. Fully expect most Premier Divisions to be fully licensed before long.👏

I’d go with that.

Also, there’s a quotation 

‘All Champions are winners, but not all sinners are Champions. 

13 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

but seriously, what was the issue? Is it a safety certificate thing for terraces - and need some remedial work to increase? Or is it around access / segregation / etc?

From a neutral standpoint, Newlandsfields looks a good old fashioned ground that should easily be able to accommodate ~3,000 or so. 

Been in Newlandsfield many a time when it has been well over 3000 fans in the ground.No safety issues at all.Really technical jobsworth issues over measuring spaces and elevations of steps as well as the safety of the enclosure most of which defies belief.

17 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

From my understanding, which is just one of a fan not anyone actually involved with the process, two of the main ones is there only being one set of turnstiles so they can't split home and away fans and the lack of crush barriers so the council only count a percentage of the rows of terracing as safe to stand at because any more would be a crush risk

10 minutes ago, Pollok mad said:

From my understanding, which is just one of a fan not anyone actually involved with the process, two of the main ones is there only being one set of turnstiles so they can't split home and away fans and the lack of crush barriers so the council only count a percentage of the rows of terracing as safe to stand at because any more would be a crush risk

Which could easily be sorted as Lok have gates beside the dressing room and Loks bar used as exits at the moment so not a huge job to overcome that-as well as I think six pay gates from Newlandsfield Road when needed.

27 minutes ago, Pollok mad said:

The configuration of the terracing in conjunction with the lack of crash barriers is the issue. 

It’s not easy to address as any barriers installed have to be able to withstand a crush. 

Edited by Rugbyroader

12 hours ago, Lokloyal said:

Which could easily be sorted as Lok have gates beside the dressing room and Loks bar used as exits at the moment so not a huge job to overcome that-as well as I think six pay gates from Newlandsfield Road when needed.

Do Pollok still own Lok's bar and the function suite beside it? If those buildings were sold when they stopped being their social club (I assume anyway?) it likely limits their options.

On 11/04/2023 at 20:34, peasy23 said:

Yes, Scotland has one of the worst pyramids in football, but it's not alone in teams having to meet certain criteria to gain promotion.

In England there are various levels of licence and the higher up you go in the non-league pyramid then the higher the criteria. If you don't meet the criteria for the league above the one you are playing in by March 31st, then you are ineligible for promotion or to take part in the playoffs.

Scotland pyramid is all about protectionism. Albion Rovers, Elgin etc are terrified of clubs like Bankies, Talbot, Lok being in the league in their place. Too many of them have chased away their community or failed vanity projects for ‘foreign owners’ (watch out Dumbarton). Be interested to see if East Kilbride do put MK in place with Si Ferry as has been rumoured, they’ll probably go up. The fourth tier in Scotland should be a bigger number of clubs with automatic relegation, but it wont happen because of vested interests! 

17 hours ago, stanley said:

Personally, I would support a system where the highest placed licensed team takes the promotion/playoff spot but only if they achieve a certain position e.g. top 3. This would keep things competitive but not hold back licensed teams. England used to a similar thing at level 9 of the pyramid (possibly top 5 was needed but can't remember for sure).

Over time, the west will catch up with the east. 

Thats probably the way forward, when is the west agm and will any of the reps from here suggest this?

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Do Pollok still own Lok's bar and the function suite beside it? If those buildings were sold when they stopped being their social club (I assume anyway?) it likely limits their options.

Loks isn’t owned by the club although the land on both sides is.

4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Thats probably the way forward, when is the west agm and will any of the reps from here suggest this?

Doesn't matter if the WoS suggest it. Unless there's greater promotion/relegation to suggest that the WoS has their own promotion spot. Why would the EoS or SoS accept a change?

The current situation suits the SoS.

Have to go to 8th place right now for an unlicenced club in the EoS Premier. Why block their champion's route with the potential of a playoff against a team not good enough to win their league.

Beith right now have the potential to be an outlier in the West.

If the LL Playoff gets opened up for changes, the focus should be on increased promotion opportunities.

5 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Doesn't matter if the WoS suggest it. Unless there's greater promotion/relegation to suggest that the WoS has their own promotion spot. Why would the EoS or SoS accept a change?

The current situation suits the SoS.

Have to go to 8th place right now for an unlicenced club in the EoS Premier. Why block their champion's route with the potential of a playoff against a team not good enough to win their league.

Beith right now have the potential to be an outlier in the West.

If the LL Playoff gets opened up for changes, the focus should be on increased promotion opportunities.

Pretty sure (and happy to be corrected) that each club nominates who goes forward or sets those parameters, plus the LL have set a precedent too that play off contenders dont have to be champions. The best way to open up the LL is to get forward thinking west clubs into it. 

21 minutes ago, Shanner said:

correct me if I'm wrong, my maths is pish, but it's not out of the question that Beith can win the league next Saturday now. 

Even if that doesn't happen the very most they'll need is 6 points from their last 5 games. 

Think 6 points will take Beith to 66 points but Darvel can still make 66 points if they win every game, which I doubt

So right now 2 wins and a draw makes them offciial league champions

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

22 minutes ago, Shanner said:

correct me if I'm wrong, my maths is pish, but it's not out of the question that Beith can win the league next Saturday now. 

Even if that doesn't happen the very most they'll need is 6 points from their last 5 games. 

I think our result today put paid in reality to any Darvel title hopes.