WoSFL Premier Division thread

Typical relegation 6 pointer at Barrhead, cagey and plenty of controversy, main caused by poor refereeing. 

Arthurlie took the lead with a good finish by Gary Carroll, Buffs had some chances with Scott making a couple of decent stops. The Lie then won a penalty which Gaz missed, then came the 1st controversial moment with the ref chalking off what looked like a perfectly good Lee Ralston header. Even the Buffs fans around us were surprised at the decision as it looked like a good goal. Buffs leveled after being quickest to react to the ball coming off the post. Buffs then had a man sent off for 2nd booking, his 1st booking was for dissent (which I thought was harsh). Lie looked like the won it when Mick McNeil rose above everyone to head home, but again the referee spotted a foul (I didn't see it). Interestingly the referee gave different versions of events to the players on the park and to the management after the game of what the foul was for so take that what you want.

Anyway it didn't come back to haunt us as Gary Smith bundled home the winner in stoppage time.   

4 hours ago, AM-1 said:

Was at Somervell today to see Camby well beaten 3-0 by Rob Roy. Awful performance from the home side.

First time I've been to Somervell for a few years. They seem to be enduring hard times, pitch and ground both in a bit of a state. What's occurring?

On 13/04/2023 at 17:40, FairWeatherFan said:

Doesn't matter if the WoS suggest it. Unless there's greater promotion/relegation to suggest that the WoS has their own promotion spot. Why would the EoS or SoS accept a change?

The current situation suits the SoS.

Have to go to 8th place right now for an unlicenced club in the EoS Premier. Why block their champion's route with the potential of a playoff against a team not good enough to win their league.

Beith right now have the potential to be an outlier in the West.

If the LL Playoff gets opened up for changes, the focus should be on increased promotion opportunities.

I’m fairly certain clubs in the EOS would heavily vote for increased promotion.

It’s getting the clubs up to the LL so they vote for increased relegation. Remember clubs like Bo’ness, Tranent and Bonnyrigg know that allowing a better flow will boost crowds and income. It’s those hanging on for a share of that money voting against it as when they go down they’ll struggle to come back up (example Vale of Leithen).

3 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

I’m fairly certain clubs in the EOS would heavily vote for increased promotion.

It’s getting the clubs up to the LL so they vote for increased relegation. Remember clubs like Bo’ness, Tranent and Bonnyrigg know that allowing a better flow will boost crowds and income. It’s those hanging on for a share of that money voting against it as when they go down they’ll struggle to come back up (example Vale of Leithen).

Agree with this
The dumb shits in SPFL2 and Lowland who vote against relegation don't realize if it was 3 up, 3 down, then there would be a better chance of them coming back up quickly after relegation but if no automatic promotion then it will take them years, just ask, Cowdenbeath, East Stirlingshire, Berwick etc... and if Cowdenbeath, East Stirlingshire, Berwick etc. are relegated from the Lowland, then they will find it seriously tough to get out of the EOSFL with NO automatic promotion

5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'm sure they would.

Being asked to open up the LL Playoff for one promotion spot to the highest placed licenced clubs not so much.

The highest placed non licensed team shouldn’t go into a playoff. Would mean you bag second and rest players for the playoff. Champions only for playoffs for me!

1 minute ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

The highest placed non licensed team shouldn’t go into a playoff. Would mean you bag second and rest players for the playoff. Champions only for playoffs for me!

Anyone can rest players at any time that suits them anyway.

30 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Not a reason. You can win the league early and rest players

19 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

First time I've been to Somervell for a few years. They seem to be enduring hard times, pitch and ground both in a bit of a state. What's occurring?

Behind the scenes they have no commitee & very little support from the locals so finances seem non existent. On the park that's the poorest I've seen them in 8 years since starting to go down to Somervell. 

Sad state of affairs for a club of such stature 😞

19 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

They did well last season to get promoted but they have a small committee and hard to compete with the teams in bigger budgets.  They do their best but that ground has a lot of maintenance issues

1 hour ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Yes they should. So should a club in the wosfl premier spend money on players (when licensed clubs are doing both) and just block promotion?  

2 hours ago, AM-1 said:

Behind the scenes they have no commitee & very little support from the locals so finances seem non existent. On the park that's the poorest I've seen them in 8 years since starting to go down to Somervell. 

Thanks for the update. Yes, I did notice we had the bulk of the crowd, which isn't usual away.

4 hours ago, AM-1 said:

There was a functioning committee a few years back until things took a sinister turn.

No point in anybody saying it didn't happen for the whole thing was virtually played out on the old Junior forum on here.

"Shots fired in Main Street" kinda summed it all up.

And then the keys being almost being handed over at Hampden.

And folk on here wonder why the locals don't go near the place.

2 minutes ago, Big Davy Boy said:

eh? they cant go up.

There's only one promotion spot in the LL Playoff. It's going to get used this season by champion(s) elsewhere. It's not the fault of the other leagues that the WoSFL is unlikely to have a licensed champion.

And those champion(s) shouldn't get stuck playing a Lucky Loser.

On 15/04/2023 at 21:15, Arthurlie1981 said:

Typical relegation 6 pointer at Barrhead, cagey and plenty of controversy, main caused by poor refereeing. 

Arthurlie took the lead with a good finish by Gary Carroll, Buffs had some chances with Scott making a couple of decent stops. The Lie then won a penalty which Gaz missed, then came the 1st controversial moment with the ref chalking off what looked like a perfectly good Lee Ralston header. Even the Buffs fans around us were surprised at the decision as it looked like a good goal. Buffs leveled after being quickest to react to the ball coming off the post. Buffs then had a man sent off for 2nd booking, his 1st booking was for dissent (which I thought was harsh). Lie looked like the won it when Mick McNeil rose above everyone to head home, but again the referee spotted a foul (I didn't see it). Interestingly the referee gave different versions of events to the players on the park and to the management after the game of what the foul was for so take that what you want.

Anyway it didn't come back to haunt us as Gary Smith bundled home the winner in stoppage time.   

Good summary apart from the bit in bold.  

It was his 2nd show of dissent in 2 minutes after moaning to the lineman and referee just before. A totally needless booking, which I thought it was funny at the time.  The Buffs fans I spoke to at the end weren't overly impressed with his stupidity either. 

No idea why either of the 2 Arthurlie goals were chalked off. 

No doubt I will have the pleasure of seeing the clown who was in charge soon in the Championship when Killie go down this season - he was absolutely clueless. 

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There's only one promotion spot in the LL Playoff. It's going to get used this season by champion(s) elsewhere. It's not the fault of the other leagues that the WoSFL is unlikely to have a licensed champion.

And those champion(s) shouldn't get stuck playing a Lucky Loser.

Great post. The part in bold is spot on. Champions should progress on footballing merit, not good admin.