WoSFL Premier Division thread

Just now, jimbaxters said:

Ok, thanks for the explanation but I disagree. Most Talbot fans AFAIK accept the fact that if they don't win the league they won't have a chance to go up. What I'm saying is that the majority of Clydebank fans on here and in fact the majority of posters who are in favour of a highest placed loser idea are Clydebank fans. 

There's a difference between accepting those are current rules and wanting them changed. If the rules were that league could nominate the highest licenced club ( whatever derogatory term you wished to pin on that ) then I'm sure Talbot or whoever would be going all out to clinch that. If not us then I'd wish that club very best of luck in the play off. 

Just now, BANKIEBILL said:

There's a difference between accepting those are current rules and wanting them changed. If the rules were that league could nominate the highest licenced club ( whatever derogatory term you wished to pin on that ) then I'm sure Talbot or whoever would be going all out to clinch that. If not us then I'd wish that club very best of luck in the play off. 

The point is why should they be changed. It seems like the true inhibitor for WoSFL teams progressing is the closure of submissions for licensing. If they were open then Beith would be going all out for that. Until such times, the route is crystal clear. Win the league and the gate suddenly opens...until you reach the next gate that is.

9 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

The point is why should they be changed. It seems like the true inhibitor for WoSFL teams progressing is the closure of submissions for licensing. If they were open then Beith would be going all out for that. Until such times, the route is crystal clear. Win the league and the gate suddenly opens...until you reach the next gate that is.

I might be doing Beith a massive disservice here but they don't give the impression of a team who are all that bothered. It's not like their ground is up to scratch right now and the stuff about ground ownership was all a bit keystone cops. 

4 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

It's frustrating that we've seen no change whatsoever at top in 3 years. Darvel at least had chance in year 1. Last season, when it became clear we couldn't,  I was rooting for Talbot or Darvel to win league. Same this year. Not because I favour them more than Beith - but because I want the pyramid to start kicking in and West teams to progress. If a licenced team wins next year then I'll still feel that rule should be changed - because its as likely - if not more - that Johnstone Burgh will at some point soon ... or St Cadocs ... or Gartcairn. Providing there's no change in status of these clubs then we're back at square 1. 

I hope they open up for licences again as that would make the current situation less likely, but it's a real possibility it will be 3 in a row.

1 hour ago, BANKIEBILL said:

It's frustrating that we've seen no change whatsoever at top in 3 years. Darvel at least had chance in year 1. Last season, when it became clear we couldn't,  I was rooting for Talbot or Darvel to win league. Same this year. Not because I favour them more than Beith - but because I want the pyramid to start kicking in and West teams to progress. If a licenced team wins next year then I'll still feel that rule should be changed - because its as likely - if not more - that Johnstone Burgh will at some point soon ... or St Cadocs ... or Gartcairn. Providing there's no change in status of these clubs then we're back at square 1. 

I hope they open up for licences again as that would make the current situation less likely, but it's a real possibility it will be 3 in a row.

To play into the hands of @judge macbrayne and @Vanderbilt, a caveat to everything I have said is that lots of clubs/fans quite enjoy the competitive, reasonably local nature of the WoSFL so it's not disastrous not to get promoted. However that shouldn't be confused with lack of ambition and the ludicrous notion that they are not trying to win the league or would deliberately throw the resulting play off, before the above mentioned start.

1 hour ago, Shanner said:

I might be doing Beith a massive disservice here but they don't give the impression of a team who are all that bothered. It's not like their ground is up to scratch right now and the stuff about ground ownership was all a bit keystone cops. 

You could be right but they seem to make the right noises at the right times. Regardless of this, they are the champions so it's up to all the other ambitious clubs to race for the golden ticket.

6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

You could be right but they seem to make the right noises at the right times. Regardless of this, they are the champions so it's up to all the other ambitious clubs to race for the golden ticket.

Even if you want to put to one side the idea that teams don't want promotion.

Why would they be dipping out of the Scottish Cup participation and SFA revenue sharing that comes with licensing? Beith are working on it. As are others. Its not really about just making noises. There's a need to keep up with those around them. Its the SFA that are the main stumbling block as per usual.

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Even if you want to put to one side the idea that teams don't want promotion.

Why would they be dipping out of the Scottish Cup participation and SFA revenue sharing that comes with licensing? Beith are working on it. As are others. Its not really about just making noises. There's a need to keep up with those around them. Its the SFA that are the main stumbling block as per usual.

Agreed. Although it could be argued that Beith currently find themselves in the position that Talbot were in in the Junior leagues. Keep winning the league and you get Scottish Cup entry anyway. They won't be thinking like this though.

4 hours ago, Shanner said:

You are, We were already in the process of preparing to get the license before the door was closed. and how is our ground not up to scratch? the only things missing are the floodlights and you are well aware why.  Not many teams have three covered terraces, . we have disabled access/cover/toilets our club house and facillites and dressing rooms are up there with the best in the league.  The infrastructure for the lights going in are in place.  once the door has been reopened it will not take us long. to get it.

1 hour ago, beithboy said:

You are, We were already in the process of preparing to get the license before the door was closed. and how is our ground not up to scratch? the only things missing are the floodlights and you are well aware why.  Not many teams have three covered terraces, . we have disabled access/cover/toilets our club house and facillites and dressing rooms are up there with the best in the league.  The infrastructure for the lights going in are in place.  once the door has been reopened it will not take us long. to get it.

Well said and people are tending to make things up rather than concentrating on facts.  Beith are as ambitious as anyone and the SFA cancelling licensing halfway through the season was a major kick in the balls to our club and the guys who knock their pans in behind the scenes to run the club .

as you just said- you don't have floodlights, ergo the ground isn't up to scratch. 

apology accepted. 

It’s only getting re-opened for 6 weeks so you’ll need to ge quick!

20 minutes ago, Shanner said:

as you just said- you don't have floodlights, ergo the ground isn't up to scratch. 

apology accepted. 

Wow IQ’s have really dipped on this forum.  The license application process has been closed for nearly two years and no one knows when it will be reopened or what it will look like. So even if we had got the floodlights and we had the best ground in the west it still would have made no difference we still could not have got promoted.  I  think that it’s prudent as a club we don’t spend a large amount of money on floodlights if we don’t need to at this time. And when it is eventually opened up we will be applying when we are ready to. 

Just now, beithboy said:

Wow IQ’s have really dipped on this forum.  The license application process has been closed for nearly two years and no one knows when it will be reopened or what it will look like. So even if we had got the floodlights and we had the best ground in the west it still would have made no difference we still could not have got promoted.  I  think that it’s prudent as a club we don’t spend a large amount of money on floodlights if we don’t need to at this time. And when it is eventually opened up we will be applying when we are ready to. 

why wait to put up the lights oh intelligent one? 

4 minutes ago, Vanderbilt said:

It’s only getting re-opened for 6 weeks so you’ll need to ge quick!

Even if its only open to applications for a short time. They would then be part of the ongoing process of meeting the licensing requirements.

11 minutes ago, beithboy said:

The license application process has been closed for nearly two years and no one knows when it will be reopened........

The clubs were informed a month ago that licensing applications will re-open after the Scottish FA AGM.

Just a quickie to find out the answers : Why doesn't the SFA keep licence applications open all the time ? Just giving deadlines nearer the season end - and/or giving clubs extra time to get work done. Would you ever  get a situation where you only get into the West Premier IF you're licensed ? The situation is similar down south as many league winners can or only want to go so far - becoming stagnant in their leagues.

Into the final week of the season, how happy are you with your teams season and why? Also what is your prediction for top 3 next season and bottom 3.

1 - Talbot

2 - St Cadocs

3 - Johnstone Burgh

14 - Drumchapel

15 - Darvel

16 - Benburb 

7 hours ago, Wos-observer said:

Into the final week of the season, how happy are you with your teams season and why? Also what is your prediction for top 3 next season and bottom 3.

1 - Talbot

2 - St Cadocs

3 - Johnstone Burgh

14 - Drumchapel

15 - Darvel

16 - Benburb 

I reckon Talbot will need to add one or two before that prediction comes to fruition but I can't wait to get going again and find out.