WoSFL Premier Division thread

7 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Ok so if that's all it was, you'd never be able to play fixtures as tv football is a seven days a week feast. There is always an attractive match on the telly. It's more about players and officials greetin" that they want to see it and them putting it before their own team. That's the embarrassment. 

These officials are thinking of their team no matter what team they support out with their local team some may not support any team other than the one they help run . Example of this is the league of Ireland their premier league played on a Saturday but their attendances were low because most football fans were at home or in the pub watching any game from the UK of their choice so in order to increase their attendances they moved their full match card to a Friday night to avoid it and most teams attendances tripled overnight. So why shouldn't we do the same?

10 minutes ago, wow-wee said:

These officials are thinking of their team no matter what team they support out with their local team some may not support any team other than the one they help run . Example of this is the league of Ireland their premier league played on a Saturday but their attendances were low because most football fans were at home or in the pub watching any game from the UK of their choice so in order to increase their attendances they moved their full match card to a Friday night to avoid it and most teams attendances tripled overnight. So why shouldn't we do the same?

So it's every Friday night you're advocating for? And if you honestly think players and officials are not behind getting games moved to watch the OF mutants, you're kidding yourself on.

8 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

So it's every Friday night you're advocating for? And if you honestly think players and officials are not behind getting games moved to watch the OF mutants, you're kidding yourself on.

Not every Friday night but it has been proven that Friday nights attract bigger crowds no matter what games who is playing on a Saturday. You know nothing about the people behind the scenes at club's who put their valuable time to keep their club's running through the season and to label them scumbags and mutants is totally out of order!

26 minutes ago, wow-wee said:

Not every Friday night but it has been proven that Friday nights attract bigger crowds no matter what games who is playing on a Saturday. You know nothing about the people behind the scenes at club's who put their valuable time to keep their club's running through the season and to label them scumbags and mutants is totally out of order!

Rainbow Cartoon GIF by Daniel Spacek

That's not what I wrote and you know it.

9 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Is is not more that players, management and committee would rather watch they 2 play than their own club.

Anything that can be done to generate more income for the clubs provided both team agree is not a bad thing. I agree that the old firm should not dictate games, other than perhaps at New Tinto or similarly located grounds where there is a direct impact on the old firm taking place, I will admit I have not been to New Tinto during an old firm game at Ibrox however I would imagine getting players there, parked etc...would be a nightmare. If both teams agree to move to a Friday night and it is beneficial I am not against it. 

For me the bigger issues is that a team in the relegation battle gets an extension to their season as do Darvel. While Auchinleck were cramming in games at the end why were they not afforded the same extension as Darvel? Bear in mind the reason Darvel had the backlog was due to their pitch, I recall twice against Talbot they put their park off. 

17 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Seen that across all 4 Divisions there are a number of Friday might games this weekend.

Is there some big event happening on Saturday?🤔🤔🤔🤔

Just channeling my inner possil for a moment there😇😇😇😇😇😇

Oh, they're definitely on Friday.

13 hours ago, wow-wee said:

That is what is being proposed in Wales now. Their FA is run by a guy who is from the Rep of Ireland  and he has picked up on this Friday night idea too although it won't start for a few seasons yet.

6 hours ago, Wos-observer said:

Anything that can be done to generate more income for the clubs provided both team agree is not a bad thing. I agree that the old firm should not dictate games, other than perhaps at New Tinto or similarly located grounds where there is a direct impact on the old firm taking place, I will admit I have not been to New Tinto during an old firm game at Ibrox however I would imagine getting players there, parked etc...would be a nightmare. If both teams agree to move to a Friday night and it is beneficial I am not against it. 

For me the bigger issues is that a team in the relegation battle gets an extension to their season as do Darvel. While Auchinleck were cramming in games at the end why were they not afforded the same extension as Darvel? Bear in mind the reason Darvel had the backlog was due to their pitch, I recall twice against Talbot they put their park off. 

I do enjoy Friday night games myself and your basic point re finding ways to increase the regular footfall into grounds is well made.

But, in this case its solely to accommodate they 2, which as a principle I abhor. They are just 2 clubs from one city it is wrong a whole country stops just for them.

If it was a massive Scotland game then would be behind any plans to accommodate our national team.

6 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

I do enjoy Friday night games myself and your basic point re finding ways to increase the regular footfall into grounds is well made.

But, in this case its solely to accommodate they 2, which as a principle I abhor. They are just 2 clubs from one city it is wrong a whole country stops just for them.

If it was a massive Scotland game then would be behind any plans to accommodate our national team.

It's not to accommodate they 2. It's to accommodate the large amount of people that want to watch they 2.

People that might otherwise attend a WOSFL match. So it's to accommodate the WOSFL clubs that believe their match day income would suffer.

Your personal feelings towards they 2 don't come into it.

Congrats to Glenafton on securing their survival. League table doesn't lie and we haven't been good enough over the season other some flashes against St Cadocs and Hurlford over the last 2 games.

1 hour ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Congrats to Glenafton on securing their survival. League table doesn't lie and we haven't been good enough over the season other some flashes against St Cadocs and Hurlford over the last 2 games.

Thank you ,second half was as good as glens have been all season , albeit against an awful Cumnock side

14 hours ago, Casper Wilson said:

It's not to accommodate they 2. It's to accommodate the large amount of people that want to watch they 2.

People that might otherwise attend a WOSFL match. So it's to accommodate the WOSFL clubs that believe their match day income would suffer.

Your personal feelings towards they 2 don't come into it.

Aye, it's a fact of life. If a Friday night suits some clubs either as an occasional arrangement, or a more permanent choice, you can't argue with their right to do it.

10 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Aye, it's a fact of life. If a Friday night suits some clubs either as an occasional arrangement, or a more permanent choice, you can't argue with their right to do it.

I have just been told that the Haig Gordon Cup Final at Kirkcudbright was moved to 1600 to accommodate them. I am now going to spontaneously combust. 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

To be fair the later kick off suits me better; so yes I am now a complete hypocrite. Thank you CeltGers.

I stand by my original rant, even though it has now been totally shot to pieces. I will just keep my mouth shut in future.

A good win for us today. As much as Beith had nothing to play for and made changes they were still a difficult prospect and brought on 3 very good players to try and change it but still felt we had to better of it. Recruitment will need to be better next season if we are to try and bounce back at the 1st attempt.

Now for a rather strange 3 week build up to the Junior Cup Final. Can feel the cricket calling!!!

3 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

A good win for us today. As much as Beith had nothing to play for and made changes they were still a difficult prospect and brought on 3 very good players to try and change it but still felt we had to better of it. Recruitment will need to be better next season if we are to try and bounce back at the 1st attempt.

Now for a rather strange 3 week build up to the Junior Cup Final. Can feel the cricket calling!!!

I do agree. Beith obviously made changes but Arthurlie blew them away and could have won by more.  Anson may be about 2 stone overweight but he gave Beith a really hard time and showed what an asset he can be to Arthurlie and Darvel would do well to keep a wary eye on him. 

13 hours ago, Shanner said:

Darvel's implosion and Arthurlie's form suggest the Junior Cup final could be very close.  

For me players will put their own egos first before club politics, the Scottish Junior Cup is the biggest non-league cup in scotland. I may be wrong but I think only 3 Darvel players have won in? There is no way the players down tools for this. 

I had predicted an Ayrshire top 3 so got it wrong, thought Largs may have came on to get 3rd however just run out of games. I do think they have the makings of a good team, well drilled, top manager and a squad at a decent age. 

I see St Cadocs getting stronger next season, Talbot for me if I was a betting man would be league winners. There are a couple of unknowns for me, Darvel I don't know the direction they are going, JB are obviously big spenders however are they becoming a team with aging players? Gartcairn are also a team looking like spending money however the right players need signed, mcshane's etc...are money driven and for me not winners, Clydebank need to have a very good transfer window, an aging squad that has probably peaked so 5/6 quality players needed. Pollok are another aging squad with the highest number of over 30s in the league, plenty of speculation with money issues etc...so unsure the clubs ability to compete in transfer market. I personally don't think Beith will be able to compete for the league this season, without doubt strain has done an excellent jib. 

4 minutes ago, Wos-observer said:

I had predicted an Ayrshire top 3 so got it wrong, thought Largs may have came on to get 3rd however just run out of games. I do think they have the makings of a good team, well drilled, top manager and a squad at a decent age. 

I see St Cadocs getting stronger next season, Talbot for me if I was a betting man would be league winners. There are a couple of unknowns for me, Darvel I don't know the direction they are going, JB are obviously big spenders however are they becoming a team with aging players? Gartcairn are also a team looking like spending money however the right players need signed, mcshane's etc...are money driven and for me not winners, Clydebank need to have a very good transfer window, an aging squad that has probably peaked so 5/6 quality players needed. Pollok are another aging squad with the highest number of over 30s in the league, plenty of speculation with money issues etc...so unsure the clubs ability to compete in transfer market. I personally don't think Beith will be able to compete for the league this season, without doubt strain has done an excellent jib. 

5 players over 30. One just retired. I’d be amazed if any more than 2/4 are kept on.