WoSFL Premier Division thread

2 minutes ago, Dean Learner said:

We missed chance after chance in defeat to St Cadoc's tonight. Max Currie outstanding in goal for them tonight, including one right at the death that I am convinced crossed the line but have heard from others that the linesman called it correctly. 

Probably the best we have played so far this season which is promising but some of the finishing had to be seen to be believed. Very wasteful. 

I'd have Clydebank as a level above anybody else I've seen so far this season, albeit it is still early days. 

Yeah Pollok looked better but there was  a lot of huffin and puffin wit the final ball, sometimes just didn't happen but in saying that, the St Cadocs keeper was the main man.  Even near the end I thought Pollok would pull it out the bag but just didn't materialize

9 hours ago, archieb said:

I've got news for you chum.  Bo'ness Athletic ARE NOT a Lowland League club. They play in the East of Scotland League First Division (tier 7, one level BELOW Beith!)

It's Bo'ness United that play in the Lowland League, and clubs from that level don't enter the "big Scottish" Cup till Round 1, 2 rounds later than the match you watched!

JFHC, imagine thinking I didn't know that. Didn't the fact my bio says I support Linlithgow Rose not make you think I might know the difference between Bo'ness Athletic and the durty BU? Did you really think I went to a game and didn't know who I was watching? Bloody hell.

Regardless, the point - which was really obvious - was that I watched Beith in an important game against pretty lowly (thought rising) opposition and they were clearly weaker than the top end of the Lowland League.

I mentioned St Andrew's too, they're not in the Lowland League either. Did that not make you think?

Edited by GordonS

I've yet to see a Clydebank fan on this page saying that they will win the league🤣 Anyone that thinks that league is anywhere near done is utterly clueless or obviously at it.

On a more serious note, a few on this forum have a real sad obsession with Clydebank from what i've seen over the past few weeks, and it was funny at the start but maybe should really start to seek help now as it is constant and boring to see. Maybe one of the admins of page could reach out and make sure all is okay? 

Still a long way to go and cracking fixtures every weekend to look forward to!

2 hours ago, Montys said:

I've yet to see a Clydebank fan on this page saying that they will win the league🤣 Anyone that thinks that league is anywhere near done is utterly clueless or obviously at it.

On a more serious note, a few on this forum have a real sad obsession with Clydebank from what i've seen over the past few weeks, and it was funny at the start but maybe should really start to seek help now as it is constant and boring to see. Maybe one of the admins of page could reach out and make sure all is okay? 

Still a long way to go and cracking fixtures every weekend to look forward to!

After these first 5 games, if we play the way we have and avoid injuries then i think we actually have a chance, but there are some very strong teams up there too. 

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

JFHC, imagine thinking I didn't know that. Didn't the fact my bio says I support Linlithgow Rose not make you think I might know the difference between Bo'ness Athletic and the durty BU? Did you really think I went to a game and didn't know who I was watching? Bloody hell.

Regardless, the point - which was really obvious - was that I watched Beith in an important game against pretty lowly (thought rising) opposition and they were clearly weaker than the top end of the Lowland League.

I mentioned St Andrew's too, they're not in the Lowland League either. Did that not make you think?

You've got to realise that it was a seriously weakened beith team on the night from the previous back to back winning League teams.  

4 top notch players in Danny oneill -Johnstone burgh .

Aaron mason - Johnstone burgh 

Ciaran diver -43 goals last season- st cadocs.

Eaun Wilson- currently 1st team regular with Motherwell.  

All top top quality plus factor in lewis lovering and Alan docherty both suspended,  our captain Paul frize was injured although was making up the numbers on the bench as was andy monk .

That's 8 top players missing with 7 of them regular starters in last seasons league team and when you also factor in that we went down to 9 men ( although still finished the stronger  ) then I don't think many teams would put up a great showing on the night when you factor all that in. 

It's not excuses it's just facts .

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

After these first 5 games, if we play the way we have and avoid injuries then i think we actually have a chance, but there are some very strong teams up there too. 

I hope you do as yous are one of the teams who want promotion, just a lot of fans of other teams stating its done already so they don't feel as bad if it actually happens🤣

Long old way to go and alot of strong teams in the mix, 5 games in and still 4 teams unbeaten (although largs only played 4). Easily the most competitive league in the country

Edited by Montys

3 hours ago, Montys said:

Clydebank will 110% win this league.

If they don't win it by at least ten points I will walk the length of Dumbarton Road naked.

That's a bold statement mate. Well done for not sitting on the fence like the others.

3 minutes ago, Shanner said:

That's a bold statement mate. Well done for not sitting on the fence like the others.

Outstanding mate you have learned how to edit a quote. 

Why would I not sit on the fence when it is clearly going to be close season. 

Out of the teams I have watched this season I think any number of them could win it.

3 minutes ago, Montys said:

Outstanding mate you have learned how to edit a quote. 

Why would I not sit on the fence when it is clearly going to be close season. 

Out of the teams I have watched this season I think any number of them could win it.

Wee bit of a laugh, don't start bubbling. 

22 minutes ago, Montys said:

Was more worried about Clydebank actually winning it and the p&b faifthful expecting me to walk dumbarton road, a fair old length.

I agree it's ridiculously early to be making predictions. Even when it was the old junior league with only about 20 games in the league season there was always someone who flew out of the blocks but ended up falling away. I'm sure Kilwinning won their opening ten one year and we ended up winning it by a decent margin. 

That's why I'm not too dispondant about Talbot dropping points just now. We generally improve as the season goes on and there's loads of time to claw back the early slip ups. 

It's Bankies to lose.

😝😝😝😝😝😝

I dont know what's happening but it scares me.

First Kalani Ghost Hunter finds a flavour of Monster Munch he doesn't like.

Now WOSFL finally give us a licensed champion.

Just one more thing and that signals the end of the world as we know it.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm scared.

🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸

Edited by An Absolute Imposter

2 hours ago, Shanner said:

That's why I'm not too dispondant about Talbot dropping points just now. We generally improve as the season goes on and there's loads of time to claw back the early slip ups. 

Only have to look at Talbot last year after the start they had, ended up not far away and finished season as one of strongest teams. Was very impressed with them against johnstone burgh I don't think they will loose many goals.

7 minutes ago, Montys said:

Only have to look at Talbot last year after the start they had, ended up not far away and finished season as one of strongest teams. Was very impressed with them against johnstone burgh I don't think they will loose many goals.

Talbot looked decent against the Burgh and were worthy of the draw.

Its brave to predict anything this early and seems to get right up the sphincter of some on here.  The sheer audacity of making a prediction,  banish the thought!

So, to annoy the oh so wise posters on  here I shall make some predictions.   Before you all "lose your shit" these are just predictions and a bit of fun.  If anyone has a problem with such a prediction being made, then I suggest some additional maturity is in order. 

The Top Three

Clydebank will finish in the top three but NOT win the league.  As winter bites the Bankies will "Hibs it".  The weight of expectation and hope will weigh just that little bit too heavily.  They will ultimately disappoint and finish third.  

The top two teams will be Drumchapel and Johnstone Burgh.  As to who wins the league from these two fine footballing teams will be decided by the slimmest of margins and be due in some part to the head to head games between these two newly promoted teams.  

The deciding factor could be the Nacho Novo effect.  History repeats itself and as such the Drum will face turmoil when Nacho has an affair with one or more of the Drum players wives/girlfriends/boyfriends/husbands and that will have a negative effect. 

The "Ayrshire order" will be put on hold as dominance of this league is, at least for a short time, moving North.

Middle Movers and Shakers  

Largs will have a big say in who wins the league, they will take many a scalp along the way and the Burgh's opening day point at the Seaside will prove to be a good result.  Evidenced in part by Largs defeating the Drum just last night.  Largs to be top six.

Talbot will be unlucky not to break into the top three, indeed they will run the Bankies close and only the Bankies fine early season form will provided enough of a cushion to prevent Talbot breaking into the top three.  It will be close and Talbot will be strong.

Troon, Pollok,  Gartcairn, Cumnock etc will provide stiff competition (not least for each other) and as ever will be a credit to the strength and depth of this league.  

Darvel and the Bens for me will finish below these teams and occupy the lower middle section of the table.  

The Bottom Three

Beith will face a monumental struggle to impress.  The absolute brilliance of the last two seasons has left the Northest of North Ayrshire villages expecting much.   Having lost just too many fine players to the nearest Renfrewshire rivals, they will have some good results along the way but ultimately will fail to satisfy the  expectation.  As the season drags on Beith will encounter unrest that may consume them.  Prepare for the worst.  It is the hope that kills you.  

Glenafton are a fine footballing institution but I see struggles.  This league has strengthened around them and the quality of opposition will  again prove just too strong for them to make any real impact.  A fight for survival is on the horizon.

Another team that will find themselves in a relegation fight I am afraid to say will be our distant cousins out in Shotts.  How they use that utterly massive playing surface will prove vital they will have to rely heavily on their home form if survival is to be achieved.   The wee shop at Shotts is excellent though and I do hope to keep that wee Shop in the League. 

If you are upset/angry/enraged/disgusted/flabbergasted at any of the above, may I suggest your life requires more meaning. 

4 hours ago, Thejackdaw said:

You've got to realise that it was a seriously weakened beith team on the night from the previous back to back winning League teams.  

4 top notch players in Danny oneill -Johnstone burgh .

Aaron mason - Johnstone burgh 

Ciaran diver -43 goals last season- st cadocs.

Eaun Wilson- currently 1st team regular with Motherwell.  

All top top quality plus factor in lewis lovering and Alan docherty both suspended,  our captain Paul frize was injured although was making up the numbers on the bench as was andy monk .

That's 8 top players missing with 7 of them regular starters in last seasons league team and when you also factor in that we went down to 9 men ( although still finished the stronger  ) then I don't think many teams would put up a great showing on the night when you factor all that in. 

It's not excuses it's just facts .

What happens cant afford to keep your best players😳🙄

1 hour ago, Bankie boy said:

There's can't afford and then there's not willing to bankrupt the Club to compete with ridiculousness happening elsewhere. 

Ewan Wilson went back to Motherwell and has started every game for them including at Hampden vs Rangers last weekend. He is a real prospect for the future at that level and I believe will go on to bigger and better Clubs. 

Of the 3 who left to go to Burgh / St Cadocs, they are all earning £20k plus in wages / SO Fees. There are a few Clubs who can compete with that and even some of those will be sensible enough not to as they'll have the sense to look long term and not chase short term success. 

On 11/08/2024 at 23:20, amnarab said:

You won't get me defending the British Army either. But is this thread not about football and discussing how our respective Clubs are faring? Back on track, where do you think Glenafton will finish in the League?

Somebody else went off the topic of football so I contributed. 

If we consistently play like we did first two games, top half 

2 hours ago, Bankie boy said:

But that just happens at every level from Premier league to SPFL 2 to tier 6 to tier 10
If a premier tier 6 team has a player ripping it up, there teams with more money and or at higher divisions shows an interest then they will get him, same for a player in SPFL1.  Just means The team either gets a payment for him or if he's free, the team then either buys another player or brings through their academy or look for players that potentially might become better.  It's all about the committee of every team to work out the best way to run their clubs and not be caught out because a bigger team takes their best players

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread