WoSFL Premier Division thread

21 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Common sense does not apply.

Lanark v Threave last season abandoned 92 mins. Full match replayed.

I'm pretty sure that something similar happened between Whitburn and Dunipace last season - well into injury time when Whitburn keeper was injured and an ambulance called for - Dunipace were 1-0 up

Pretty sure the game was replayed?

3 hours ago, Ben10 said:

Was the 90mins up as I read 93 mins hud been played.
If that’s the case and only injury time tae play common sense should prevail. 
Glad no one was seriously ill or injured but protocols need to be pit in place for this type of stuff. It’s gettin mare frequent. Ye mention the refs report he’ll advise why it was abandoned but how no wait 10 mins to get a medical professional there? I don’t ken the circumstances but if there’s only a couple o minutes to play then surely u can hing oan a wee bit? 

83 minutes, not 93. Consider a water break, subs, time around the red card and general stoppage and you are looking at over ten minutes still to play.

Dunno anywhere that you can get a medical professional to attend an emergency within ten minutes.

The physios responsible for ensuring adequate supervision for players are out of commission during said medical emergency so therefore no cover is available for players. That's before mentioning the medically trained assistant referee who was also away from the park.

You mention common sense, but in my eyes, common sense is that you prioritise the elderly gentleman who has collapsed, with football secondary to his wellbeing.

11 hours ago, leaguereformer said:

I can't see any other option other than to replay the tie. I just don't know the league's stance on red card in game for me the game should be treated as a non event. 

The red card would surely need to stand regardless.

What if it had been for an assault on the referee or something similar. 

Just forget it happened?

18 hours ago, Kilbowies Finest said:

I'm pretty sure that something similar happened between Whitburn and Dunipace last season - well into injury time when Whitburn keeper was injured and an ambulance called for - Dunipace were 1-0 up

Pretty sure the game was replayed?

Yeah it was replayed, replayed game ended up a 1-1 draw.

A replay isn’t fair on Cumnock. The result standing wouldn’t have been fair on Pollok. Though everyone will understand Cumnock feeling aggrieved. 

The referee should have waited longer, but he chose to blow the whistle and abandon. The main thing is everyone is well. The replay isn’t ideal for either team, if both clubs still competing in multiple cups especially. 

Pollok two fixtures behind the pack due to Darvel’s inability to maintain a pitch and a medical emergency at Cumnock. It happens and you deal with it. 

Not all abandonments will necessarily be treated the same. For example team A is 5 nil down to team B with 5 to play. Neds of team A invade pitch and strike Team B goalkeeper. You need some way of punishing Team A and reflecting game position at time of abandonment. I'd twat team A out of cup but guess that governing authority of competition should have some leeway to respond appropriately 

6 hours ago, PollokGang said:

A replay isn’t fair on Cumnock. The result standing wouldn’t have been fair on Pollok. Though everyone will understand Cumnock feeling aggrieved. 

The referee should have waited longer, but he chose to blow the whistle and abandon. The main thing is everyone is well. The replay isn’t ideal for either team, if both clubs still competing in multiple cups especially. 

Pollok two fixtures behind the pack due to Darvel’s inability to maintain a pitch and a medical emergency at Cumnock. It happens and you deal with it. 

Cumnock will now have a gate for a ‘16th’ home match and against a top 4 for away attendances, so a decent income for them. Maybe they will split the gate or offer discounted prices. Cumnock treasurer the only happy person in Cumnock? 

48 minutes ago, superpollok said:

Cumnock will now have a gate for a ‘16th’ home match and against a top 4 for away attendances, so a decent income for them. Maybe they will split the gate or offer discounted prices. Cumnock treasurer the only happy person in Cumnock? 

Isn't it procedure for situations  of this nature when they seldom arise that it reverts to an automatic shared gate? 

I get cumnocks frustration but some of the posts on their X /twitter page are a bit off for me. 

On 08/09/2024 at 15:25, mtln said:

The three points certainly seemed more important to them than the health of the gentleman who collapsed.

Credit to the Cumnock and Pollok physios though, as well as the assistant referee who came onto the terracing to help.

As for the result, I’m not sure how it can possibly stand with there being a goal between the sides and likely 10-15 minutes of football still to play.

Exactly. We got awarded the 3 points when the game v cambuslang got abandoned at one nil up when we got a pen that could have made it two and the manager wouldn't get off the park 

46 minutes ago, GLENAFTON_LOYAL said:

Exactly. We got awarded the 3 points when the game v cambuslang got abandoned at one nil up when we got a pen that could have made it two and the manager wouldn't get off the park 

That's what I was meaning by my post above. If a team or fans deliberately causes an abandonment then it should be treated differently than if it was no-ones fault

10 hours ago, Thejackdaw said:

Isn't it procedure for situations  of this nature when they seldom arise that it reverts to an automatic shared gate? 

I get cumnocks frustration but some of the posts on their X /twitter page are a bit off for me. 

No, it is at the home clubs discretion what happens. We had it last season with Hurlford with our committee deciding it would be half price entry. 

3 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

No, it is at the home clubs discretion what happens. We had it last season with Hurlford with our committee deciding it would be half price entry. 

WoSFL League Championship rule no. 84 - "Where the Management Committee determine that an abandoned league fixture should be replayed, the gate receipts from the replayed fixture shall be divided equally between both clubs after the deduction of the match officials expenses."

Edited by glensmad

As often critical of the WoS committee as I am, I think ultimately they were put in a lose-lose situation. Declare the result and have Pollok up in arms, replay the game and have Cumnock up in arms. 

Perhaps better guidance to the referees over what action to take in similar situation where something isn't directly effecting the game being played. 

While the main thing is the fan is ok, should the game have been stopped, I understand it if it was an on field or coach issue i.e. player getting serious injury then to me that is different. 

What was stopping the ref once it became apparent that the fan was ok restarting the game. 

I still think Maxi had a influence on the decision his team was down to team men and down a goal. He is a manager no doubt under pressure. That said it would be interested to hear what the Cumnock manager had said to the referee at the time, did he approve this etc...perhaps assuming Cumnock would have been awarded the tie. 

34 minutes ago, leaguereformer said:

As often critical of the WoS committee as I am, I think ultimately they were put in a lose-lose situation. Declare the result and have Pollok up in arms, replay the game and have Cumnock up in arms. 

Perhaps better guidance to the referees over what action to take in similar situation where something isn't directly effecting the game being played. 

While the main thing is the fan is ok, should the game have been stopped, I understand it if it was an on field or coach issue i.e. player getting serious injury then to me that is different. 

What was stopping the ref once it became apparent that the fan was ok restarting the game. 

I still think Maxi had an influence on the decision his team was down to team men and down a goal. He is a manager no doubt under pressure. That said it would be interested to hear what the Cumnock manager had said to the referee at the time, did he approve this etc...perhaps assuming Cumnock would have been awarded the tie. 

I assume the referee is not medically trained, therefore he was not to know the severity or otherwise of the incident, so he has probably taken the safe route to allow the victim to receive the treatment he needed, without any hinderance.