WoSFL Premier Division thread

1 hour ago, Thejackdaw said:

The majority of people who think they love plastic are the ones who's clubs were basically forced to go down the plastic route,  I get that you try and convince yourselves that it's the bees knees and all Is great but it would get football stopped for me and I've yet to see a decent game on it , you can hit me with fully inclusive and all the modern day jargon but it will always remain a poor watch due to how even the best of these surfaces play and theres not many people i know who enjoy them.

Whatever way you feel, I don't drag other into it saying they all agree with me, whether they are real or not.  I wanted to see the Johnstone Burgh team and had a chance to visit Gartcairn's pitch on the astro, well if thats crap football then let it shine.  It was a tremendous game of football from two excellent sides, Burgh ending up deserved winners with a little more clinical finishing. The pitch was superb, the teams were technically excellent and it was a good noise from all fans.  I enjoyed it immensely.  Do I prefer Grass over Astro, all day but i don't pick a game just cause its playing on grass or astro.    If this sort of game and park is what many teams will be using then I say bring it on, superb game and well worth the money.

I'd say, Talbot have done OK on plastic through the years. Yes, we do moan about them but won more games than lost on them. Also won a few cups on astro. 

1 minute ago, BC63 said:

I'd say, Talbot have done OK on plastic through the years. Yes, we do moan about them but won more games than lost on them. Also won a few cups on astro. 

Honestly, does it affect your quality of play from the Talbot team playing on a good astro park?

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

1 hour ago, clansman said:

Guess one of the big disadvantages of astro is that it's so inclusive imagine that. 

Imagine the horror of inclusivity! Terrible that having the womens involved! Outrageous! 
Maybe if beith were a wee bit more ‘inclusive’ they wouldnt be outnumbered by the away support at their hillside hideaway.

22 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Imagine the horror of inclusivity! Terrible that having the womens involved! Outrageous! 
Maybe if beith were a wee bit more ‘inclusive’ they wouldnt be outnumbered by the away support at their hillside hideaway.

Beith as a club have nothing to do with my opinions I'm a fan on an online forum or don't you grasp that concept?😅 

9 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Cant hear you, the wifes in the kitchen doing the dishes and its really loud, try speak up a bit?

Does she avoid games on grass? 

14 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Cant hear you, the wifes in the kitchen doing the dishes and its really loud, try speak up a bit?

What so you've let her out the basement for the weekend? 😅You're a good man really 😆

Let's be novel and talk about the games this weekend. My predictions are 

Beith v Glenafton - home win

Benburb v Largs - away win

Cumnock v Gartcairn - home win

Darvel v Pollok - draw

Drumchapel v Talbot - away win

Hurlford v Troon - draw

Johnstone Burgh v Clydebank - home win

Shotts V St. Cadoc's - away win

First points scored for Darvel, first dropped for Clydebank for me. What say you?

Beith v Glenafton - draw

Benburb v Largs - fancy a home win with the new management in place

Cumnock v Gartcairn - Gartcairn need to get their finger out of their butt so fancy an away win

Darvel v Pollok - Away Win

Drumchapel v Talbot - Is this game actually at Donald Dewar parks?   fancy a draw

Hurlford v Troon - Home win

Johnstone Burgh v Clydebank - Draw

Shotts V St. Cadoc's - draw  <<< or Home win

7 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Honestly, does it affect your quality of play from the Talbot team playing on a good astro park?

No. Talbot play just as well on grass or astro. 

7 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Whatever way you feel, I don't drag other into it saying they all agree with me, whether they are real or not.  I wanted to see the Johnstone Burgh team and had a chance to visit Gartcairn's pitch on the astro, well if thats crap football then let it shine.  It was a tremendous game of football from two excellent sides, Burgh ending up deserved winners with a little more clinical finishing. The pitch was superb, the teams were technically excellent and it was a good noise from all fans.  I enjoyed it immensely.  Do I prefer Grass over Astro, all day but i don't pick a game just cause its playing on grass or astro.    If this sort of game and park is what many teams will be using then I say bring it on, superb game and well worth the money.

The playing surface at Holm Park is very much improved from what it used to be. A good grass pitch is preferable yes. However - and despite £000s of investment on it each year - the old pitch was subject to postponements and quagmirey at most parts of the year and being brick hard at other parts. The surface we have now is so much better except to Maxi of course. 

What kind of crowd did Burgh have ? They seem to have picked up a following

Edited by BANKIEBILL

9 minutes ago, BANKIEBILL said:

The playing surface at Holm Park is very much improved from what it used to be. A good grass pitch is preferable yes. However - and despite £000s of investment on it each year - the old pitch was subject to postponements and quagmirey at most parts of the year and being brick hard at other parts. The surface we have now is so much better except to Maxi of course. 

There was over a full busload and maybe a few came by car, it was a midweek game and a was a bitty cold but it was a good atmosphere for a game where you don't think there's a lot of home and away fans.  The right back is good but I felt his only downfall was that he got dragged inside  a lot leaving space but Johnstone Burgh are an excellent teams but the first couple of goals lost were bad marking from Gartcairn, even though Garctairn scored a cracker first which was chopped off for just offside

5 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Beith v Glenafton - home win. Beith have picked up and should be too strong

Benburb v Largs - draw. New management bounce even though Largs have opened well

Cumnock v Gartcairn - draw. Gartcairn better than results so far

Darvel v Pollok - draw. Darvel not as bad as their results. Pollok fragile. 

Drumchapel v Talbot - draw. Would be great resilt for us. Difficult place to go

Hurlford v Troon - Home win

Johnstone Burgh v Clydebank - away win. I'd be happy with a draw but we're dragging out results 

Shotts V St. Cadoc's - away win. St Cadocs with too much firepower

12 hours ago, BANKIEBILL said:

Burgh always had a following, even prior to the money going in.

Granted crowds were down to 40/50 in the fallow years but that happens at every club, but the conference season, post Covid saw Burgh back up to 100 plus crowds and 700/800 v Arthurlie and dealing promotion v Muirkirk.  The next (still before the money going in, but back to paying players) saw averaged of approx 180 with a 50/60 travelling.

Crowds are what they were when last in the premier. Given you guys take a good support I think you’ll see about 500 at Keanie Park today. Crowd at Pollok last week was over 900 and according to a Pollok committee man there was over 100 Burgh there.

Also worth pointing out is that Thorn Athletic will be at home today as well and there will be around 80 to 100 locals at that. Albeit only 10 of us ventured to Ardeer last midweek 😁