Live Aid

50 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think they were a hangover from progressive, pomp rock of the early 70s that the 6th year wankers liked when anyone with any sense was listening to The Damned.

I once got sent to review one of the ‘current’ (was probably 2010) incarnations of Wishbone Ash - roadie’s brother got the name or some shit - and you had fathers and sons in the same Rush t-shirts and it was almost like being in a parallel universe where punk had never existed. Was unpleasant. 

4 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I once got sent to review one of the ‘current’ (was probably 2010) incarnations of Wishbone Ash - roadie’s brother got the name or some shit - and you had fathers and sons in the same Rush t-shirts and it was almost like being in a parallel universe where punk had never existed. Was unpleasant. 

I think there's been more willingness for younger people who weren't around or were very young to be more eclectic when they hear music from the 60s and 70s. Formative years aren't called that for nothing and I formed my views of bands in the 70s. I have softened to a degree and can appreciate some stuff I absolutely hated then, but Rush, Queen, Yes, Wishbone Ash, Pink Floyd etc are rubbish and always were.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think there's been more willingness for younger people who weren't around or were very young to be more eclectic when they hear music from the 60s and 70s. Formative years aren't called that for nothing and I formed my views of bands in the 70s. I have softened to a degree and can appreciate some stuff I absolutely hated then, but Rush, Queen, Yes, Wishbone Ash, Pink Floyd etc are rubbish and always were.

Little younger than you but was thankfully exposed to the Pistols, the Undertones etc before I was to prog and prog just bored me silly. Didn’t have the attention span for it, as much as anything else. 

Queen form one-third of the Yer Da' Holy Trinity of bands that are inexplicably popular yet unbearably pish.

See also: The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac

28 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Rush are fucking great. Pink Floyd are okay

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Queen weren't shite, they were a band of excellent musicians with a front man most would kill for.

Were they though?

Front-man I'll give you, but Brian May just played the same solo in 95% of Queen songs. Roger Taylor was a reasonable drummer and Anthony Deacon played... bass. Anyone can play bass.

The Eagles fit the bill of 'technically brilliant musicians that are utter shite" far more than Queen do.

5 hours ago, trainspotter said:

I certainly don't remember anyone in the pub watching the TV and clapping in sync to Radio Ga Ga, as portrayed in the sycophantic pile of pish that was Bohemian Rhapsody.

I did go out a few days later and buy Beach Boys compilation though.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

After all the accolades that film got, I was shocked at how shite it was. I can only imagine Rami Malek got the Oscar for manfully struggling through the part wearing those comedy prosthetic teeth.

I'm not any expert on Queen, but ten minutes in I was calling bullshit when there was a fortuitous meeting to start the band...they'd been pals for years before. Between little things like them playing songs live years before they were written IRL, and big things like the way it handled Freddie Mercury's sexuality...they had him starting to be conflicted about it on their first American tour when he'd actually been pretty secure in the fact he was gay years before.

It could have been worse  though...I believe the reason Sascha Baron Cohen left the project was due to Brian May's lunatic early insistence that the only interesting member of the band should be killed off halfway through the film, and the rest of it should be about their thrill-free subsequent re-emergence as their own tribute band post-Freddie.

That movie won the Oscar for Best Editing despite having several scenes that gave me whiplash from the amount of cuts.

Also enjoyed how they removed nearly all the tension from within the band and just blamed it all on that bloody gay from Ireland that Freddit shacked up with.

38 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Were they though?

Front-man I'll give you, but Brian May just played the same solo in 95% of Queen songs. Roger Taylor was a reasonable drummer and Anthony Deacon played... bass. Anyone can play bass.

The Eagles fit the bill of 'technically brilliant musicians that are utter shite" far more than Queen do.

I respectfully disagree. Especially "anyone can play bass". I'm not saying Deacon is an example in particular here but a good bassist can absolutely change a song. I think Taylor is better than a reasonable drummer too.

No arguments from me on The Eagles, they aren't for me.

6 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Far be it from me to suggest that this might have been some artistes' main motivation, but fúck me, Adam Ant? Howard Jones? Nick bloody Kershaw?

To be fair Howard was the biggest selling UK solo artist of the previous year, and Nick probably wasn't far behind him. Adam was on the wane but would still have had a load of teens in the crowd who'd run a Nivea stripe over their noses a few years earlier. 

Different times indeed.