Live Aid

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Harrison did the Concert for Bangladesh which I think was one of the inspirations for Live Aid. 

I think Macca's hit around that time had been the sodding Frog Chorus...

Harrison was the best Beatle, this is a hill I'm willing to die on.

The Frog Chorus is banger too btw, although I won't be reading replies to this one.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I think Macca's hit around that time had been the sodding Frog Chorus...

To be fair, neither that or the other monstrosities (Ebony & Ivory, Wonderful Christmas Time etc.) were written by Paul McCartney. McCartney as everyone knows, died in 1966 and was replaced by a look-a-like. The doppelganger's done quite well for himself to be fair.

9 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Where does all the music snobbery regards Queen come from?

From the NME.  Very influential music rag back then.  Generally hostile to anyone who was classically trained.  Always preferred the rough and ready bands especially Punk.  Also went against any band that started to see success.  "They've sold out.  Just formula music now."

I also suspect the Jonn Peel fan club did not care for them much either.

Understandable if proficiency meant boring but I wouldn't say that about Queen.

8 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

From the NME.  Very influential music rag back then.  Generally hostile to anyone who was classically trained.  Always preferred the rough and ready bands especially Punk.  Also went against any band that started to see success.  "They've sold out.  Just formula music now."

I also suspect the Jonn Peel fan club did not care for them much either.

Understandable if proficiency meant boring but I wouldn't say that about Queen.

I'm not sure this is correct. I was an avid reader of NME but I don't recall them ever writing about bands I'd heard of. 🙃

2 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I'm not sure this is correct. I was an avid reader of NME but I don't recall them ever writing about bands I'd heard of. 🙃

My favourite song is the "B" side to a limited release single from an obscure band you have probably never heard of but they are pure class.  Sound about right? 🙂

Myself and several of my close friends were having a combined 21st (and other years) birthday party In Thurso that day.

Watched, went to the St. Clair to get totally ratted sideways ooot air tits, went back to a friends house drank more and watched VCR of the rest.

Fantastic day, highlights for me we’re Qou and first time hearing George Thorogood with Albert Collins ( the master of the telecaster)

11 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

My favourite song is the "B" side to a limited release single from an obscure band you have probably never heard of but they are pure class.  Sound about right? 🙂

Yes, but written in a tone which suggested you were some kind of mental defect for not being familiar with the symbolism of the lyrics to said "B" side.

To be fair, such was the radio reception where I lived in the Lake District, we got a better signal from Eastern Europe than from any British city. My musical education came largely from BBC Radio 2 - the only station my Dad would listen to. "Sing Something Bloody Simple" on the car radio during Sunday afternoon enforced "runs in the car" with the family. I'm getting tense just writing that.

Edited by Shotgun

16 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Yes, but written in a tone which suggested you were some kind of mental defect for not being familiar with the symbolism of the lyrics to said "B" side.

Your use of the word lyrics sounds far too mainstream for me.  Verbal assemblage would be more appropriate.

Sure. David Gilmour is actually one of my favourite guitarists. Pink Floyd have some absolutely brilliant songs, but also a hell of a lot of self-indulgent pish. Hence, they're okay.
Same for me with Pink Floyd, they have some wonderful songs, I would have 4 or 5 of them in my top 100 of all time, but I would struggle to sit and listen to some of their albums right through.

9 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

From what I remember the second one in 2005 was better. We must be due another one soon as well.

For a show with the intention of changing the global capitalist mindset I thought Live 8 came across as corporate bollocks.

The reformed Pink Floyd set was great though.

13 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Live Aid 2022 with Lewis Capaldi, Gerry Cinnamon and Ed Sheerin.

The thread for that gig would overtake the BRALT and Covid threads for the amount of posts per hour IMO. 

19 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Maybe not the first example of "charity as career move", but certainly one of the most shameless. Without Live Aid, he'd have been back to working for a living. The Boomtown Rats had had their day, and he was no great shakes as a solo artist. We'd also have been spared the horrific sight of his daughter living out the cliched "offspring of famous parent crashes and burns". As would she.

Midge Ure wrote most of DTKIC, and Geldof was entirely shameless at taking credit for the whole shebang. Definitely a "good guy, w**k" situation.

Fair enough, Band/Live Aid was a phenomenon and did at least some good*, but Geldof is only saved from the title of Ireland's biggest cúnt by the runt in front of U2.

*But nowhere near as much as you'd have hoped.

Geldoff is just a rotten piece of work - the bible states not to do your charitable deeds before men to be seen by them but Geldoff is the ultimate example of someone who does just this whilst accumulating a personal wealth of about £40 million and evading tax in the process. I remember he called Adele out in 2014 for ignoring his calls because she didn’t want to appear on band aid 30, despite her donating millions of her own money to charities of her choice, all he cared about was people parting with their money to buy his record and make him look good. Look at George Michaels charitable donations which he did privately for years and only got revealed after he had died., That’s a proper example of a charitable and decent guy who actually cares about people other than himself but isn’t famous for his philanthropy work and is largely remembered for enjoying going cottaging. 

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Geldoff is just a rotten piece of work - the bible states not to do your charitable deeds before men to be seen by them but Geldoff is the ultimate example of someone who does just this whilst accumulating a personal wealth of about £40 million and evading tax in the process. I remember he called Adele out in 2014 for ignoring his calls because she didn’t want to appear on band aid 30, despite her donating millions of her own money to charities of her choice, all he cared about was people parting with their money to buy his record and make him look good. Look at George Michaels charitable donations which he did privately for years and only got revealed after he had died., That’s a proper example of a charitable and decent guy who actually cares about people other than himself but isn’t famous for his philanthropy work and is largely remembered for enjoying going cottaging. 

Not just charitable donations but I believe he also volunteered at a soup kitchen IIRC. 

3 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Not just charitable donations but I believe he also volunteered at a soup kitchen IIRC. 

He also saw a woman who was on deal or no deal wanting IVF treatment, she didn’t win enough money so he tracked her down and privately donated £9k to her. There are loads of examples of good things he did off his own back and they never came out until after he died. He also produced some good music as well unlike Geldoff.