Czech Republic v Scotland

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

Sad thing is, he definitely wanted the job on one occasion, possibly even two.  Didn't we pass him up for Burley and then Strachan?  Could have the last one wrong (or both, who knows)

Not sure mate. Just another example of terrible decision making by the SFA.

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Our starting midfield yesterday all play in the English Premier league. Im sure they could handle the extreme physicality of the Czech Republic league.

Yeah but none of them are doing the dirty work, there’s another player beside him doing that. 

Just now, rainbowrising said:

I didnt see an opponent that was physically stronger. More like sharper passing, good movement, looked to get the ball wide with midfield supporting.  We were utterly pedestrian in comparison and a shambles by the end. 

I dont think the formation did us any favours. Our midfield were lost, with very few positive options when on the ball.

Just now, G51 said:

This isn't for this thread, but Rangers play two sitting midfielders because it works brilliantly.

Players like Armstrong,McGinn,McGregor,McTominay,Fleck,McLean are all forward thinking players Jack is just a water carrier,when Scotland lose the ball the transition to win it back isn't there.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Not sure mate. Just another example of terrible decision making by the SFA.

Ok if you can’t see it, fine. But it’s been apparent to me for years that this is our main problem. 

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

Players like Armstrong,McGinn,McGregor,McTominay,Fleck,McLean are all forward thinking players Jack is just a water carrier,when Scotland lose the ball the transition to win it back isn't there.

That’s what I see, and it’s been apparent for years. 

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

Mctominay can play that role with ease, mcgregor has played there. Fleck and McLean have also.

Unfortunately mctominay was at right centre back. Looking like a fish out of water.

Is there any reason we shouldn’t just be shoving Dykes and McBurnie upfront together and punting the thing up to them aw game?

A midfield comprised of some combination of McGregor / McGinn / Jack / McLean would be capable of taking a second ball off them and have some he legs to buzz about and kick lumps when not in possession.

Robertson and Forrest told to get early balls in from wide.

Play at 100mph.

Then it’s shut your eyes and cross your fingers that the defence can avoid completely collapsing and that your keeper can bail you out when they inevitably do.

Not pretty but it’s our style and we shouldn’t be embarrassed to play it - particularly when every fucking team on the planet plays the same way these days.

4 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Mctominay can play that role with ease, mcgregor has played there. Fleck and McLean have also.

Unfortunately mctominay was at right centre back. Looking like a fish out of water.

No, Macgregor couldn’t tackle a fish supper, Fleck is 5 ft, Maclean like Jack doesn’t  have the aggression, mindset, he’s no quick enough around the midfield. Mctominey, eventually yes, but as I said he is a natural box to box midfielder, so you’d be limiting his game and what he can potentially offer Scotland

Edited by Rscot

5 minutes ago, Morton Supporter said:

Is there any reason we shouldn’t just be shoving Dykes and McBurnie upfront together and punting the thing up to them aw game?

A midfield comprised of some combination of McGregor / McGinn / Jack / McLean would be capable of taking a second ball off them and have some he legs to buzz about and kick lumps when not in possession.

Robertson and Forrest told to get early balls in from wide.

Play at 100mph.

Then it’s shut your eyes and cross your fingers that the defence can avoid completely collapsing and that your keeper can bail you out when they inevitably do.

Not pretty but it’s our style and we shouldn’t be embarrassed to play it - particularly when every fucking team on the planet plays the same way these days.

Against the Andorra’s, Gibraltar’s etc, I’d do this with Dykes and Ross Stewart up front. The better teams will pass us to death

Love how the same guy goes around all my post downvoting them without actually replying to them. A Gold Member, lol. 

Edited by Rscot

Czech Republic probably isn’t Eastern Europe as it’s right above Austria which wouldn’t be classed as Eastern Europe. The Czechs get lumped in as Eastern Europe purely as Czechoslovakia was part of the Warsaw Pact and those countries were “the Eastern block” back then. Funnily you wouldn’t class Greece or Finland as Eastern Europe even though both are further East. The East and Western Europe was more political than Geographical.

11 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

If you watch the goal we lost yesterday we got caught square at the back you can point the finger at McTominay but where the feck is the midfield?
Nobody is protecting the back line this type of goal we will lose time and time again if we don't get the balance right.
McTominay hasn't got the brains yet to sniff out danger and track the runners off him he may play in that position but hes not very good at it yet.

8 minutes ago, Rscot said:

Love how the same guy goes around all my post downvoting them without actually replying to them. A Gold Member, lol. 

Took your time down voting me there Gold Member

7 minutes ago, Rscot said:

Against the Andorra’s, Gibraltar’s etc, I’d do this with Dykes and Ross Stewart up front. The better teams will pass us to death

I’m the opposite: bring Christie and even Armstrong I’m against the wee teams - safe in the knowledge that they’ll get aw the time they need on the ball.

Punt and rush against everyone else!

If these teams want to pass the ball ad nauseous - let them. I saw Spain bore the world to death doing that in 2010. I’m sure they’d have beaten us too, but I’d rather try to barge, elbow, kick and otherwise harras them in doing so than this cowardly brand we - and our club teams in Europe - have convinced ourselves needs to be played in order to be worthy of competing.

f**k that - punt and rush!

I’d love to see some of these ‘rolls Royce’ ball playing centre backs deal wi countless balls in the air and elbows to the face. A generation of players have never done it, and instead have defended one forward between four of them. We’re badly missing a trick here.

2 minutes ago, Morton Supporter said:

I’m the opposite: bring Christie and even Armstrong I’m against the wee teams - safe in the knowledge that they’ll get aw the time they need on the ball.

Punt and rush against everyone else!

If these teams want to pass the ball ad nauseous - let them. I saw Spain bore the world to death doing that in 2010. I’m sure they’d have beaten us too, but I’d rather try to barge, elbow, kick and otherwise harras them in doing so than this cowardly brand we - and our club teams in Europe - have convinced ourselves needs to be played in order to be worthy of competing.

f**k that - punt and rush!

I’d love to see some of these ‘rolls Royce’ ball playing centre backs deal wi countless balls in the air and elbows to the face. A generation of players have never done it, and instead have defended one forward between four of them. We’re badly missing a trick here.

We’d end up with 2 or 3 being sent off with today’s refs

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If you watch the goal we lost yesterday we got caught square at the back you can point the finger at McTominay but where the feck is the midfield?
Nobody is protecting the back line this type of goal we will lose time and time again if we don't get the balance right.
McTominay hasn't got the brains yet to sniff out danger and track the runners off him he may play in that position but hes not very good at it yet.

He’s not very good at anything as far as I can see.

I don’t watch English football, so maybe he is otherwise a midfield dynamo.

But I’m bamboozled that so many people think that this husk MUST be in the team despite all evidence for Scotland being that he is a terrible player - among the worst I’ve ever seen for Scotland.

13 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

As I said I’m my opinion this is our biggest problem, and I believe the main reason we continue to struggle and underperform. We are missing a certain type of player in midfield.