Czech Republic v Scotland

I think its clearly the case that he plans to play 3 at the back against Israel and wanted a couple of games to try it out.

Lets be honest he's worked in football for decades and is regarded as a top class coach. We weren't seeing anything the other night that he couldn't. He persisted with it cause he wants them to get used to it imo. 

And obviously Tierney starts in any back 3, I can only assume he wanted to protect him a little with the amount of games he's played after his injury troubles. Perhaps even that was agreed with Arsenal.  He may also have identified McTominay is the best bet of dealing with Haaland in the air as he's massive, that could be why he wanted him to play there.

I'm a fan of Clarke.  He's no mug and knows the game.  Its still early enough in his reign that he gets the benefit of the doubt with me.

24 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Yer arse they would.  Zlatan is scared of his own shadow and Dzeko isn't a hardman.  There are no strikers that would do that to him, that's why he's an international CB.  Lukaku is as close as you'd find, Lewandoski you're having a laugh he's not that type of player never does that to anybody.

Stop being an idiot. You know you’re being an idiot. There’s no need to be an idiot here. 

Zlatan is nails.

I didn’t say Dzeko was a hardman. 

Forgot about Lukaku. 

I didn’t say Lewandowski was that type of player. 

If you seriously think any of them couldn’t ragdoll Harry fucking Maguire as the pleased, then perhaps you are an idiot. 

2 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Stop being an idiot. You know you’re being an idiot. There’s no need to be an idiot here. 

Zlatan is nails.

I didn’t say Dzeko was a hardman. 

Forgot about Lukaku. 

I didn’t say Lewandowski was that type of player. 

If you seriously think any of them couldn’t ragdoll Harry fucking Maguire as the pleased, then perhaps you are an idiot. 

They couldn't.  They never have.  Nobody has, that's why he plays CB for one of the biggest clubs in the most physical league in the world and for one of the most physical national sides in the games. 

Zlatan is a big kiff.  And Dzeko and Lewandowski would need to be that type of player or they wouldn't do that type of thing would they? 

And even if they were that type of player, which they're not, physically they wouldn't be able to cause Maguire is 6 foot 4 and 16 stone of pure muscle.  There's nobody out there ragdolling someone like that, that's the point I'm trying to make, with modern day CB's they are absolute beasts.  You seem to be not understanding.

9 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

They couldn't.  They never have.  Nobody has, that's why he plays CB for one of the biggest clubs in the most physical league in the world and for one of the most physical national sides in the games. 

Zlatan is a big kiff.  And Dzeko and Lewandowski would need to be that type of player or they wouldn't do that type of thing would they? 

And even if they were that type of player, which they're not, physically they wouldn't be able to cause Maguire is 6 foot 4 and 16 stone of pure muscle.  There's nobody out there ragdolling someone like that, that's the point I'm trying to make, with modern day CB's they are absolute beasts.  You seem to be not understanding.

AF40EF39-5A05-4F42-A03A-329C1BB70E99.gif

59 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Yer arse they would.  Zlatan is scared of his own shadow and Dzeko isn't a hardman.  There are no strikers that would do that to him, that's why he's an international CB.  Lukaku is as close as you'd find, Lewandoski you're having a laugh he's not that type of player never does that to anybody.

Really Pepp, the guy is a black belt martial artist & is built like an utter tank, not really sure his shadow will be of much concern.

Just now, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I think its clearly the case that he plans to play 3 at the back against Israel and wanted a couple of games to try it out.

Lets be honest he's worked in football for decades and is regarded as a top class coach. We weren't seeing anything the other night that he couldn't. He persisted with it cause he wants them to get used to it imo. 

And obviously Tierney starts in any back 3, I can only assume he wanted to protect him a little with the amount of games he's played after his injury troubles. Perhaps even that was agreed with Arsenal.  He may also have identified McTominay is the best bet of dealing with Haaland in the air as he's massive, that could be why he wanted him to play there.

I'm a fan of Clarke.  He's no mug and knows the game.  Its still early enough in his reign that he gets the benefit of the doubt with me.

Indeed the guy is regarded as a good coach, which is why its so baffling.

Why would he want to play 3 at the back against Israel when we have just played them. Playing 3 at the back, and it was an absolute shit show.

I agree he was managing Tierneys fitness, 2 games with only 2 days rest is a lot. And he had to rotate which he did.

We've seen this play out numerous times with Scotland managers tho. Its the biggest job these managers will get. And under that scrutiny people can become belligerent.

The pick the wrong team or formation. Get criticised for it. But then stick with that blatantly wrong formation or team for fear of looking weak. Or to prove they were right and everyone else was wrong (see Strachan or Levein). Rather than look at it objectively.

You or I cant fully understand the pressure and scrutiny they are under. Or what goes through their minds during this. 

I dont think he's thinking clearly at all currently tho.

I just hope he can pull his head out his arse quickly.

18 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Indeed the guy is regarded as a good coach, which is why its so baffling.

Why would he want to play 3 at the back against Israel when we have just played them. Playing 3 at the back, and it was an absolute shit show.

I agree he was managing Tierneys fitness, 2 games with only 2 days rest is a lot. And he had to rotate which he did.

We've seen this play out numerous times with Scotland managers tho. Its the biggest job these managers will get. And under that scrutiny people can become belligerent.

The pick the wrong team or formation. Get criticised for it. But then stick with that blatantly wrong formation or team for fear of looking weak. Or to prove they were right and everyone else was wrong (see Strachan or Levein). Rather than look at it objectively.

You or I cant fully understand the pressure and scrutiny they are under. Or what goes through their minds during this. 

I dont think he's thinking clearly at all currently tho.

I just hope he can pull his head out his arse quickly.

Aye I totally agree the pressure is getting to him just like Levein and Strachan, who started making decisions out of spite.  Good analysis man think that's spot on.

Aye I totally agree the pressure is getting to him just like Levein and Strachan, who started making decisions out of spite.  Good analysis man think that's spot on.
Strachan had it working brilliantly at the end though. He'd got it moving. Quite clearly he was belligerent and awkward at points but that's not how it ended.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:
3 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Strachan had it working brilliantly at the end though. He'd got it moving. Quite clearly he was belligerent and awkward at points but that's not how it ended.

Still a w**k though.  The ultimate unionist, the people with the most negative mindset in the history of humanity.

The Scotland manager who literally said Scots were 'genetically inferior' hello Mengele btw, whilst being a four foot midget himself who played for one of the top teams in the world. Winning dual awards for being the least self aware person in the country and an absolute walloper to boot.

He had actually just got to grips with the job and in typical idiotic beyond belief fashion the SFA chose that point to fire him when they had stuck by him before when he'd been shite. 

Don't miss the wee dick though and he's getting old now so better off in retirement.

Wasn't a particularly 'brutal' suppression for a few reasons, mainly because the Dubček government was very quick and clear to tell everyone to stay at home and not confront the tanks. The attempted Hungarian Revolution in 1956 was utterly devastating and they tried their best to avoid that, which to be fair they did.
By far my favourite act of disobedience was when Czechoslovakia beat the Soviet Union in 1969 at the ice hockey championships, and a bunch of lads went down and panned in the windows of the Aeroflot office. 
Realise now that this is widely deviating from the fitba chat so might be better to discuss this sort of stuff elsewhere or by PM! I find this stuff very interesting to talk about though. 
Jagr being asked why he wore number 68 after signing for Omsk was a fun one.

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They looked around Europe at what was successful in terms of player development and then created their own strategy and showed patience to stick with it for years, enduring pish results and players.

Their strategy included a massive increase in the number of coaches at top level, a massive increase in facilities (good ones) and a massive increase in participation across all youth groups.

They have a consistency of training across age groups and a large scouting network to ensure no young players are missed. They have loads of highly qualified and experienced coaches, meaning that even kids as young as 5 are coached by someone with a UEFA A or B license, and there are no volunteer coaches.

The various age group international teams all play the same formation and style and they don't try to accommodate players in unnatural positions. They have very high standards of work rate that no player can drop under or else they in turn will be dropped.

12 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

What's the standard of coaching and facilities in South America etc?

You can't compare Iceland with South America. Iceland has a small population around 300k so to get top coaches for the volume of kids you might only be talking around 40-50. So for their association to foot that bill it's quite reasonable. They seem to be maximising their potential, good luck to them and they are an example to other countries.

Most South America countries have big populations so they produce players due to numbers but social elements will play there part, not that I know what they are but they are massively passionate about football and probably most kids who like football are out playing in the streets most days which will give them a good base skill level.

Iceland kids probably have the luxuries of most European children like computer games but they are probably getting 3-4hrs a week coaching from UEFA licensed coaching on great facilities. The South American kids are probably in the streets 2hrs a day. Both of these are a good thing. Scottish kids probably get 1-2hrs a week training from someones dad who can be bothered to take the training.

One of our problems is we limit the time kids can play football. I remember when I was around 13 my boys club asked all the players to stop playing for there school teams. I would guess any of the pro youth kids would not be allowed to play for there schools or for other boys clubs. This to me is utterly baffling that we think this is a good thing. Until a player is around 16 they should be encouraged to play as much as possible.

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

One of our problems is we limit the time kids can play football. I remember when I was around 13 my boys club asked all the players to stop playing for there school teams. I would guess any of the pro youth kids would not be allowed to play for there schools or for other boys clubs. This to me is utterly baffling that we think this is a good thing. Until a player is around 16 they should be encouraged to play as much as possible.

Going back to Iceland, they do indeed encourage kids to play as much as possible.

We have pretty much most things wrong with our set up.

38 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Going back to Iceland, they do indeed encourage kids to play as much as possible.

We have pretty much most things wrong with our set up.

I read recently that Bayern Munich were cutting their under 9's and 10's teams as they believe kids should play with friends and local clubs up to that point. At the same time my friends son was released from Celtic's under 7 team. I was telling him that it was probably a good thing although the 7yr old might not see it that way. I would imagine that Bayern have done analysis on this and probably found that very few players at these young ages end up making it and there is probably a bigger success rate of kids joining clubs between 13-16 that end up playing at a higher level. I don't believe the SFA or the SPFL clubs have the mindset or vision to look for changes like this.