OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

7 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Mark Donaldson said the bid is nowhere near that figure.

Fair enough - the story seems to be popping up all over the place, so you never know - and it's a nippy forward, which should be along the lines of what we're after. 

Nando will surely be away, and possibly Walker.

I'm told the bookies have changed the odds on Hertz finishing 3rd - wonder if that's because they're expecting us to lose Soapy - he will his suitors, no doubt. 

40 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Always is when it gets leaked from the selling club's end.

Whether it comes off or not, it's another interesting move. It would be the third time we've paid a fee for an overseas player since the summer.

Yep. No club has a 100% success rate with transfers, but I’m enthused by our hit rate since Savage came in and brought in new scouting and analysis staff. Neilson obviously deserves credit for how he’s chosen and then used them too. Hoping we return from the break reenergised with an improved team. 

27 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Fair enough - the story seems to be popping up all over the place, so you never know - and it's a nippy forward, which should be along the lines of what we're after. 

I'm told the bookies have changed the odds on Hertz finishing 3rd - wonder if that's because they're expecting us to lose Soapy - he will his suitors, no doubt. 

Stating the obvious, but if Halkett is injured long term and Souttar leaves then we're in real trouble without a really good replacement. We've not seen much of Moore at CH and we've looked alarmingly ropey when Halkett hasn't been available,especially considering how bad he was in his first 18 months/2 years.

I wonder if it'd be more economical to keep Souttar until the summer rather than accepting a sub-£1m bid and risk chucking 3rd.

We’re still sitting at 1/4 on with Skybet to finish top 3

Hibs new manager bounce has seen them come in to 9/2 second favourite and you can still get 8/1 on Aberdeen and 10/1 Motherwell

19 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

We’re still sitting at 1/4 on with Skybet to finish top 3

Hibs new manager bounce has seen them come in to 9/2 second favourite and you can still get 8/1 on Aberdeen and 10/1 Motherwell

Hearts will piss third.  The rest aren’t consistent enough.  Hopefully you’re mob go into turmoil as you’ve a few good players out of contract.  Can’t see it though. 

1 hour ago, Hoose Rice said:

Hearts will piss third.  The rest aren’t consistent enough.  Hopefully you’re mob go into turmoil as you’ve a few good players out of contract.  Can’t see it though. 

Not sure Hearts are a stick on yet. See what window they have but looks like we are going to push after them under Maloney. They were lucky to beat Ross County on Sunday.

37 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Not sure Hearts are a stick on yet. See what window they have but looks like we are going to push after them under Maloney. They were lucky to beat Ross County on Sunday.

:lol:

We could have been 4 or 5 up before County pulled one back.

Edited by DC92

2 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

47 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

So this would be, what? ‘Hibs.net Rice’ and ‘Snifter Pee Bounce’?

Anyway, I for one welcome a bit of shithousing, and reckon mixed team fora would be shite without it. So in that spirit…

”… looks like we are going to push them under Maloney… “ 😄

Two games under a new manager, and you are now convinced that things are rosey? I remember Cathro’s first couple of games after Neilson left. Was looking good. Turned out the calm water was down to the massive great fucking waterfall we were heading towards.

Maloney may well turn out to be a very good manager for you lot. Two games in is no time to be making such assumptions though. Personally, I think he’ll turn out to be a hilarious mistake, but I’m in no better position to claim that after two games than your lot are.

Neilson on the other hand has consistently proven he can gather points in the Premiership. It would take a very uncharacteristic collapse for us to suddenly hit such bad form, that teams 6-9 points behind us will be favourites to reel us in, even taking in to account the “Maloney effect” (😄).

I agree though, that the transfer window will play a part in deciding how the comparative form of the two Edinburgh sides (and Motherwell, Aberdeen and United as the only other realistic challengers for third) do, but again this throws up some interesting considerations. 

1) Cathro really did the damage to Hearts in his January transfer window. He shipped out many of the players which Neilson had assembled and used to get us cruising near the top of the league. He brought in good players on paper, many of whom who had great pedigree before and after Hearts. For some of them like Avlonitis and Tsziolis, it wasn’t just down to Cathro being a shite manager imo. Guys like them just weren’t particularly motivated. Others were just shite, and obviously Cathro not being a good man manager played a part with others. We know that like Cathro, Maloney is pretty well thought of as a coach. He’s still nowhere near proven as a manager though. Just need to see what happens with him, I suppose.

2) Hearts recruitment has been overhauled a year ago, and we have a better hit-rate than we did under Levein, McPhee, Murray and Stendel. We have recruited well, and the majority of the players who have us doing well this season in third, we’re brought in by Savage and his new recruitment team. We could lose some very important players in our back line, but if we can limit it to only Souttar (I think he’s already gone tbh) and get a bit of cash for him, then I feel confident in our ability to replace departing players and not be significantly weakened. Hibs’ recruitment has been overhauled recently too, I believe? Mathie was it, who was launched after things didn’t go to plan in the summer? Don’t know enough about Hibs’ recruitment department to comment on whether or not the changes made to the back room staff will improve your recruitment or not. I suppose none of you guys will know either, until about mid-February I would say.

Love the confidence though Snifter. I have always preferred Hibs when they are confident. Usually works in our favour. 🙂

There have arguably been a fair whack of points dropped over the campaign and feeling like we could have had so much more isn't such a bad precedent, as it means there is still plenty of room for improvement.

Of late, yes we're playing poorly but still winning the games expected of us, with the Motherwell match the only real stain in the last two months. 

I'm quite happy the winter break is on now as we can take stock and strengthen. I feel a lot more comfortable in our recruitment that even if we lose a player or two, we've got a better strategy in position to replace IMO.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

9 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

There have arguably been a fair whack of points dropped over the campaign and feeling like we could have had so much more isn't such a bad precedent, as it means there is still plenty of room for improvement.

Of late, yes we're playing poorly but still winning the games expected of us, with the Motherwell match the only real stain in the last two months. 

I'm quite happy the winter break is on now as we can take stock and strengthen. I feel a lot more comfortable in our recruitment that even if we lose a player or two, we've got a better strategy in position to replace IMO.

This is basically where I’m at too. I’m reasonably confident we will carry on and get over the line in 3rd place. I base that on Neilson’s historical performances as Hearts manager in this division. I also think Savage and his team have given Neilson the tools to just get on with managing the team, without having to worry so much about the quality of players available to work with. We may get reeled in, it’s far from a certainty that we won’t fall apart, it just looks unlikely considering the two points above. 

Two games is FAR too early for folk to be making declarations about Maloney as a manager though. Could still easily be their best manager ever, or their worst. Remains to be seen. It’s even a bit of a huge assumption to put them as the main challengers for third. Motherwell and Aberdeen may yet have something to say about that.

Edited by Kyle Reese

57 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Anyway, I for one welcome a bit of shithousing, and reckon mixed team fora would be shite without it. So in that spirit…

Two games under a new manager, and you are now convinced that things are rosey? I remember Cathro’s first couple of games after Neilson left. Was looking good. Turned out the calm water was down to the massive great fucking waterfall we were heading towards.

Maloney may well turn out to be a very good manager for you lot. Two games in is no time to be making such assumptions though. Personally, I think he’ll turn out to be a hilarious mistake, but I’m in no better position to claim that after two games than your lot are.

Neilson on the other hand has consistently proven he can gather points in the Premiership. It would take a very uncharacteristic collapse for us to suddenly hit such bad form, that teams 6-9 points behind us will be favourites to reel us in, even taking in to account the “Maloney effect” (😄).

I agree though, that the transfer window will play a part in deciding how the comparative form of the two Edinburgh sides (and Motherwell, Aberdeen and United as the only other realistic challengers for third) do, but again this throws up some interesting considerations. 

1) Cathro really did the damage to Hearts in his January transfer window. He shipped out many of the players which Neilson had assembled and used to get us cruising near the top of the league. He brought in good players on paper, many of whom who had great pedigree before and after Hearts. For some of them like Avlonitis and Tsziolis, it wasn’t just down to Cathro being a shite manager imo. Guys like them just weren’t particularly motivated. Others were just shite, and obviously Cathro not being a good man manager played a part with others. We know that like Cathro, Maloney is pretty well thought of as a coach. He’s still nowhere near proven as a manager though. Just need to see what happens with him, I suppose.

2) Hearts recruitment has been overhauled a year ago, and we have a better hit-rate than we did under Levein, McPhee, Murray and Stendel. We have recruited well, and the majority of the players who have us doing well this season in third, we’re brought in by Savage and his new recruitment team. We could lose some very important players in our back line, but if we can limit it to only Souttar (I think he’s already gone tbh) and get a bit of cash for him, then I feel confident in our ability to replace departing players and not be significantly weakened. Hibs’ recruitment has been overhauled recently too, I believe? Mathie was it, who was launched after things didn’t go to plan in the summer? Don’t know enough about Hibs’ recruitment department to comment on whether or not the changes made to the back room staff will improve your recruitment or not. I suppose none of you guys will know either, until about mid-February I would say.

Love the confidence though Snifter. I have always preferred Hibs when they are confident. Usually works in our favour. 🙂

I am not confident just said it wasn't a stick on Hearts will get third. You need to add well in the window for me at least under normal circumstances but we don't know how this season is going to go with covid bans and restrictions. It's going to be a lottery.

I like it that Jambos are desperate to paint Maloney as another Cathro, don't see it myself. Seems quite a steely wee guy with the players respect. Cathro had a laptop and crimp notes. Worst recent appointment I can think of. 

1 hour ago, Kyle Reese said:

Don't make up a nickname for me ya p***k.  

Cheers. 

9 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

I am not confident just said it wasn't a stick on Hearts will get third. You need to add well in the window for me at least under normal circumstances but we don't know how this season is going to go with covid bans and restrictions. It's going to be a lottery.

I like it that Jambos are desperate to paint Maloney as another Cathro, don't see it myself. Seems quite a steely wee guy with the players respect. Cathro had a laptop and crimp notes. Worst recent appointment I can think of. 

He’s only been manager for two games. 😄

You clearly are getting a bit overconfident, it’s quite apparent in your posts. As I said, I like that. 

19 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

He’s only been manager for two games. 😄

You clearly are getting a bit overconfident, it’s quite apparent in your posts. As I said, I like that. 

We have a new 3m rated forward in the door plus a new manager that has made a difference in his two games. I'm looking on the plus side of that. 

1 minute ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Stats say an even game and Ross C should have equalised. A bit jammy as usual. 

They really don't. xG was 1.76 - 0.73 in our favour. We'd scored twice and hit the underside of the bar and the inside of the post before Ross Country had their first chance of note on 72 minutes. They put us under pressure for the last 20 but only had one proper chance in that time. We also had a total makeshift team on the pitch by that point.

I don't think we're stick-ons for 3rd, by the way. 5/6 point leads can disappear quickly and a lot will depend on what happens with Souttar/Halkett and incomings next month.

Unusually for us, we seem to have developed real consistency against the bottom 6. We're unbeaten against them and have won 5/5 so far in the second round of games. That's coincided with a drop-off in results against the top 6: 9 points from 15 in the first round and 0/12 so far in the second.

Based on that, we really want to have things done and dusted by the split. One thing which might work in our favour in that respect is that Hibs and Aberdeen still have Celtic and Rangers to play before the second round of games finishes, while we've got St Johnstone at home. Also, once the derby is out of the way, we'll only have 1 away game left against the current top 6 before the split. We need to make sure we take advantage of those factors.