Conspiracy Theories

I'm actually chiding myself for saying this, but Finland seems like an awfully long trip for the Japanese to do some fishing.

Is portal technology involved in this theory at all?

30 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm actually chiding myself for saying this, but Finland seems like an awfully long trip for the Japanese to do some fishing.

So does no one noticing that "Nokia" always ship their electric good in cold storage. Also no one is moving fish by road through Russia it's going by air or boat.

Theres a guy on youtube sci man dan that rips the flat earthers to shreds on a weekly basis its quite funny, especially with the flat earthers trying to prove their point only to get lost and contradict their own views, on the flip side of that there is an increasing amount of graffiti about Scotland claiming the world is flat.  more recently though the whole 5g thing people just are thick they dont know which mobile mast is which and just torch it anyway its on monty python levels of the witch burning/drowning

Probably the biggest root of modern (as in 20th century) conspiracy theories is The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, an anti Semitic hoax produced in Russia by Tsarists around the turn of the century. This document fuelled anti Semitism but also works the basic story of conspiracy theories - hidden groups secretly controlling society for their own gain.

That’s pretty standard but I think one of the most important late modern conspiracy templates is the Satanic Panic, where a strange coalition of people decided that there were worldwide organised groups sexually abusing children as part of satanic rituals. This started in the USA in the 1980s, mainly spread through Newly resurgent Christianity as a reaction to more women working, children in daycare and changes in society. However, the theory was more than just far right Christians. In the U.K. the idea of widespread underground groups of Satan worshipers raping and murdering children was enthusiastically embraced by people in the care and social work professions, few of whom were cut from the same cloth as the born again Mid Westerners denouncing Satan.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s there were numerous cases in the U.K. of social work investigations uncovering large groups of Satanists - in Scotland the most infamous case was on South Ronaldsay in Orkney, there were also cases in Ayrshire. Eventually it became clear that all of these cases were false and the cases went away but the idea is sitll within our culture. The Jimmy Saville case and others uncovered in recent years have fuelled this -the Mark Beech hoax case is an example of the idea of large groups of powerful people secretly engaging in this abuse.

In the States though this theory has been adopted by the far more dangerous group of far right militias. QAnon is the end result of this, there people with Q flags in the Capitol building yesterday. I’m not sure how this goes away, it’s ingrained in culture. In the early 90s the U.K. government produced a comprehensive report debunking the phenomenon, if this was done in the US for QAnon does anyone think it would have an impact?

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Probably the biggest root of modern (as in 20th century) conspiracy theories is The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, an anti Semitic hoax produced in Russia by Tsarists around the turn of the century. This document fuelled anti Semitism but also works the basic story of conspiracy theories - hidden groups secretly controlling society for their own gain.

That’s pretty standard but I think one of the most important late modern conspiracy templates is the Satanic Panic, where a strange coalition of people decided that there were worldwide organised groups sexually abusing children as part of satanic rituals. This started in the USA in the 1980s, mainly spread through Newly resurgent Christianity as a reaction to more women working, children in daycare and changes in society. However, the theory was more than just far right Christians. In the U.K. the idea of widespread underground groups of Satan worshipers raping and murdering children was enthusiastically embraced by people in the care and social work professions, few of whom were cut from the same cloth as the born again Mid Westerners denouncing Satan.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s there were numerous cases in the U.K. of social work investigations uncovering large groups of Satanists - in Scotland the most infamous case was on South Ronaldsay in Orkney, there were also cases in Ayrshire. Eventually it became clear that all of these cases were false and the cases went away but the idea is sitll within our culture. The Jimmy Saville case and others uncovered in recent years have fuelled this -the Mark Beech hoax case is an example of the idea of large groups of powerful people secretly engaging in this abuse.

In the States though this theory has been adopted by the far more dangerous group of far right militias. QAnon is the end result of this, there people with Q flags in the Capitol building yesterday. I’m not sure how this goes away, it’s ingrained in culture. In the early 90s the U.K. government produced a comprehensive report debunking the phenomenon, if this was done in the US for QAnon does anyone think it would have an impact?

I lived in Finland 2010-2015.
Or thought I did. 
Maybe I was drugged and interfered with by Japanese fisherman the whole time and the repressed memory will surface next time I watch The Moomins. 
I also used to live in Finland, I'd rather have been diddled by Japanese fishermen though.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

If you tunnel straight through the earth it's quite close. 

Suomi is an anagram of "i sumo" 

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

Not sure about this at all. My mattress is firm and was advertised as such. You could argue that it could be firmer but i don't see how it's unequivocally false. 

Also has anyone actually seen Finland? 

I went to Helsinki on my mate Kevin's stag day oot (from Tallin I may add).  We entered a church for a nosey and found a steam iron on the alter.

Nothing more to add (apart from losing a very expensive Benetton jacket and my wife's camera  after visiting a Russian vodka joint).

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I went to Helsinki on my mate Kevin's stag day oot (from Tallin I may add).  We entered a church for a nosey and found a steam iron on the alter.

Nothing more to add (apart from losing a very expensive Benetton jacket and my wife's camera  after visiting a Russian vodka joint).

That's exactly what they want you to think. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=94H61cGGGQ8C&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=british&f=false

These are some examples of British state anti semitism from around the same time from Leon Poliakov's 'History of Anti Semitism vol.4'

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

I've read a few interesting articles about how antisemitism is the end goal of most of the thick-end conspiracy theories. It was quite inventive how they start out with outlandish stories about saucer planets and celebrity vampires, before slowly morphing into the old racist tropes about Jews that have been around for centuries. Worst part is, the racists will claim the longevity of said tropes as evidence of their truth.

I love how people who are presumably trying to debunk one conspiracy come up with another one suggesting that there's a shady cabal of antisemites pre planning bullshit internet rumours. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

In the late 1980s and early 1990s there were numerous cases in the U.K. of social work investigations uncovering large groups of Satanists - in Scotland the most infamous case was on South Ronaldsay in Orkney,

I was going to bring this one up - an utterly tragic story. Whole thing blew up because the social worker investigating it was obsessed with Satanic child abuse and basically forced the bairns into saying that they were abused as part of some Satanic ritual. Took something like six years for all the bairns to be returned to their parents.

Anyone who's been to Orkney knows the locals are good, God-fearing folk. The odds of a Satanic cult on South Ronaldsay are... long, and everyone from the area at the time knew it was total shite.

24 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

You don't hear folk attacking Agenda 21 much anymore do you

It's probably been covered on this thread but there are far fewer UFO sightings now.  Seems strange to think that guys like Alex Jones used to focus on that primarily.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

This document fuelled anti Semitism but also works the basic story of conspiracy theories - hidden groups secretly controlling society for their own gain

Well we know that's the case in Scotland but are you referring to the Protestant anti-Semite or Catholic anti-Semite