Sportscene watch

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

No, no, no. Again no. 

They deserve huge praise for what they do on the park but in the boardroom they are far from the model of how a club should be run. 

Yeah in the past we've been a complete basket case in the boardroom for years, but that isn't the case now, particularly since John Ward came on the scene, he's helped transform us into a well run club. Even Josh Mullin says we're a different looking club to the one he left when we got promoted, and the 2 seasons before that we won back to back promotions on a small budget, although admittedly we had an advantage of still being FT in League One, but in the Championship we got promoted with the 2nd lowest budget in the league, and weren't actually prepared for top flight football with the infrastructure we had, Ward did incredible work to get us up and running in the top flight, as did Martindale.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Such as?

Please don't say someone who did jail time as that has nothing to do with this.

Edit: They signed Gregg Wylde who was another shining example of why horrendous attitudes don't mesh with their core squad.

Lyndon Dykes shacked up with a coach's wife and Efe Ambrose was criticised by his manager for attitude issues at Celtic, both of which can hardly have a good impact on team morale at their previous clubs. The whole point of what Martindale does at Livi is to try to pick out guys who have been discarded for a number of reasons and to get something out of them. That's why it seemed like Stokes was worth a gamble.

Gregg Wylde's main problem is that he is a horrendously shite footballer.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Lyndon Dykes shacked up with a coach's wife and Efe Ambrose was criticised by his manager for attitude issues at Celtic, both of which can hardly have a good impact on team morale at their previous clubs. The whole point of what Martindale does at Livi is to try to pick out guys who have been discarded for a number of reasons and to get something out of them. That's why it seemed like Stokes was worth a gamble.

Derek McInnes was asked at one of the supporters chats he has that Wylde was let go because his attitude was absolutely shocking. As much as I don't think much of him as a footballer, people in the game obviously did as he kept receiving chance after chance.

Dykes shagging someone's wife has nothing to do with his attitude to training and playing football. This is what I am talking about. 

Ambrose is a different kettle of fish. Strolled it at Hibs and I can't recall anything to say his attitude was poor at that point. If anything Hibs gave him the chance you are alluding to Livi giving players.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Gregg Wylde's main problem is that he is a horrendously shite footballer

Gregg Wylde blocked me on Twitter after I jokingly said he was the reason our reserves lost a game.

I never tagged him at all so he must spend his free time searching his own name on social media.

13 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Such as?

Please don't say someone who did jail time as that has nothing to do with this.

Edit: They signed Gregg Wylde who was another shining example of why horrendous attitudes don't mesh with their core squad.

Only one i can really think of recently is Menga, didn't like getting out his bed for training and i think was hard work for our management team, was pure box office on the pitch though and quickly became a fans favourite. 

Got to admire players like Sibbald for attitude, has taken him a while to get a regular starting place, and not get subbed off every game, but never once made waves, and just kept working hard. 

Anyone with a really bad attitude is quickly booted into touch though, i doubt we'd give them the chance to let it spread into the dressing room.

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Ambrose hadn't kicked a ball in a year when Livi signed him.

He made a move to England and Derby didn't play him. As far as I can see there's no suggestions it was due to attitude. Had clearly wised up at Hibs as there was chat of him staying in Nigeria to party instead of heading back to train at Celtic.

8 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Only one i can really think of recently is Menga, didn't like getting out his bed for training and i think was hard work for our management team, was pure box office on the pitch though and quickly became a fans favourite. 

Got to admire players like Sibbald for attitude, has taken him a while to get a regular starting place, and not get subbed off every game, but never once made waves, and just kept working hard. 

Anyone with a really bad attitude is quickly booted into touch though, i doubt we'd give them the chance to let it spread into the dressing room.

Yeah that's exactly the point I'm making. It was obvious Stokes was going to be chased and quickly at that. Didn't expect it to be quite as quick as it was.

16 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Gregg Wylde blocked me on Twitter after I jokingly said he was the reason our reserves lost a game.

I never tagged him at all so he must spend his free time searching his own name on social media.

🤣

The only player who has blocked me is Danny Rogers, when he was a youth team player at Aberdeen. It was when Ched Evans had just been found guilty and he posted something about sluts chasing after footballers. Told him it was a bit unwise to make public statements like that. Instantly blocked.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Agreed, which is why he's such a good fit for Livi. A team as under-resourced as them needs to find value in playing assets.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that Martindale relies heavily on data for recruitment to try and find that value, as well as signing players with character issues. I'm sure his Twitter bio states he does a lot of trading in his spare time. Would be an interesting project to look over the statistical profiles of Livingston signings these past few years to try and spot a trend.

Our current batch of strikers shows it doesn't always work, and the fact we're relying on an attacking midfielder more than any of them, playing as a striker. 

Lars out on loan at Raith looks  promising but may be next season before he gets the chance to prove himself.  Poplatnik has been the most successful out of the lot, but has had a stop start season, also took a while to get fit and adjusted to Scottish football. Stokes was a complete failure, unfit and poor attitude, fucking off without even kicking a ball for the first team. Sal is out on loan at Partick and has barely kicked a ball too, and is now injured, isn't looking promising for him being good enough at this level. JET doesn't look like he can fit in with how we play, isn't mobile enough to press defenders, but at least scored a goal recently, so there may be a place for him as a sub, for when we're needing something a bit different.
And we've just signed Reilly, another striker, his profile looks very promising though, energy and pace to press defenders.

Tiffoney and Hamilton are two who haven't really shown they can cut it at this level too, Hammy has been put out on loan for a few seasons now, and does well in lower league teams, he is looking at last chance saloon next season to cut it in the top flight though, we surely have to give him his make or break chance in the Premiership.
We're fortunate to have so many players scoring goals, 17 different goal scorers this season i think, so aren't really reliant on strikers for getting goals, mainly just need them to press defenders, so they don't get the time to bring the ball out from the back and set up attacks, and also the pace to give us an out ball, then bring in our attacking mids.
Bit harsh on Hamilton. He's still really young and has shown on a number of occasions that he's got the qualities to cut it in the premiership. His performance against Rangers at short notice was superb. Wouldn't say him or Tiffoney were on their last chances. Both young guys who have some more experienced pros ahead of them. I'm optimistic that Jack will be a good player for us in the future.
No, no, no. Again no. 
They deserve huge praise for what they do on the park but in the boardroom they are, or certainly were, far from the model of how a club should be run. 
Key word in your post is "were". We are incredibly well run these days and I would argue we are definitely a model to be followed for clubs of our stature.

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Bit harsh on Hamilton. He's still really young and has shown on a number of occasions that he's got the qualities to cut it in the premiership. His performance against Rangers at short notice was superb. Wouldn't say him or Tiffoney were on their last chances. Both young guys who have some more experienced pros ahead of them. I'm optimistic that Jack will be a good player for us in the future.Key word in your post is "were". We are incredibly well run these days and I would argue we are definitely a model to be followed for clubs of our stature.

I don't think he has, he hasn't really shown anything above League One, don't think QoTS fans were that impressed with his loan there in the Championship. That's 3 or 4 seasons he's been loaned out, imo he should be ready for a chance in the top flight next season and if he isn't showing he can play there he never will (for us anyway). He scored against St Mirren i think, but the way we play he'd need to step it up a lot, he's more akin to JET mobility wise.

He is young still and could yet develop into a good player, but he's been at Livi for years and showed early promise, seems to be taking ages to break through, and i've seen players like Snoddy and Griffiths playing regularly for us in their teens, Hammy will be 21 this year.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

I don't think he has, he hasn't really shown anything above League One, don't think QoTS fans were that impressed with his loan there in the Championship. That's 3 or 4 seasons he's been loaned out, imo he should be ready for a chance in the top flight next season and if he isn't showing he can play there he never will. He scored against St Mirren i think, but the way we play he'd need to step it up a lot, he's more akin to JET mobility wise.
He is young still and could yet develop into a good player, but he's been at Livi for years and showed early promise, seems to be taking ages to break through, and i've seen players like Snoddy and Griffiths playing regularly for us in their teens, Hammy will be 21 this year.
Jamie Vardy was playing non league football until he was 23

Luca Toni was about 25 before really breaking through

Miroslav Klose didn't make his professional debut until he was 20

It doesn't matter what age he is really. He's showing promise and it's up to us to bring him on. I'm not sure how you can say he hasn't shown promise in his limited games for us. He played a lone striker role against Rangers this season and played fairly well with zero support around him. He's a less mobile Dykes but watching some of his goal for east fife he's been working on his athleticism and pace. My understanding is he's highly rated by the club.

Griffiths and Snodgrass aren't really fair comparisons as they came through a successful youth set up which we've shut down and are slowly bringing back. Griffiths also didnt play in the top league until he left us.

1 minute ago, Cptn Hooch said:

It doesn't matter what age he is really. He's showing promise and it's up to us to bring him on. I'm not sure how you can say he hasn't shown promise in his limited games for us. He played a lone striker role against Rangers this season and played fairly well with zero support around him. He's a less mobile Dykes but watching some of his goal for east fife he's been working on his athleticism and pace. My understanding is he's highly rated by the club

Yeah that's why i added (for us anyway), he may be a late developer, but how long do you think we'll wait to see if he can develop into a top flight players?

Pitts is another who developed later, think he was at Accies, then dropped to playing in the Juniors, teams rarely wait 5 or 6 years for late developers though, they tend to move them on and try and bring another youngster through, we've already moved on a few young players that were coming through the same time as Hammy.

51 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

It doesn't matter what age he is really. He's showing promise and it's up to us to bring him on. I'm not sure how you can say he hasn't shown promise in his limited games for us. He played a lone striker role against Rangers this season and played fairly well with zero support around him. He's a less mobile Dykes but watching some of his goal for east fife he's been working on his athleticism and pace. My understanding is he's highly rated by the club.

Griffiths and Snodgrass aren't really fair comparisons as they came through a successful youth set up which we've shut down and are slowly bringing back. Griffiths also didnt play in the top league until he left us.

How could you miss the Scottish football later bloomer legend Darian MacKinnon off your list 😲🤣

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

Strange that there’s no highlights show for (what was meant to be) three games today, but there’s one on Monday just for Celtic v Hibs 🤔

There's one on Wednesday just for Livingston vs Aberdeen. Doesn't explain why they can't have one for today's games, right enough.