Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

On 17/08/2020 at 19:51, BingMcCrosby said:

My nephew played for celtic and is now at St Johnstone. Yet despite being in touch with him I have very little understanding of their youth recruitment, coaches or training.

If its Chris McQueen you'll be glad to know he's been training with the first team this season.

7 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

If the standard of youth player at Bayern is Alphonso Davies then Hickey might as well sign for Celtic. He won’t get near the Bayern starting XI.

The standard of youth player clearly isn't Alphonso Davies though or he wouldn't be playing for the first team would he?  He'd be playing in the youths.  Davies is the standard of the first team, clearly, that's why he plays for them.

Very disappointed if he goes to Celtic though, such an underwhelming and unambitious move.

Davies didn't even play for the youths at Bayern btw.

He was signed  a year ago aged 18, for the first team, as a first team player, and went straight into the first team squad.

He is very much demonstrably and by definition NOT the standard of the youths at Bayern, or at any team, he's much better than that. That's why he is first choice for the best team in the world while still a teenager. 

He's exceptional and a ridiculous bar to try and judge a young player by. You might as well say Messi scored a hat-trick against Real Madrid aged 19, so any 19 year old who doesn't score a hat-trick against Real Madrid is shite. Its ludicrous.

17 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

A move to Celtic would be most disappointing.  Chance to learn from Miroslav Klose, part of the best team in the world, or more of the same in Scotland.

Aye it would be pish. 

So many myopic wee kids in Scotland who can't see past what they're raised with.

Realistically the Old Firm are at best third rate teams these days, and that's pushing it. They are going to get worse too as the wealth gap widens.

Any kid with real ambition of being a top player instead of just beating Hamliton forty times should swerve them. Its a waste of time, he should bite Bayern's hand off, or Bologna.  Celtic would be a shite move.

Good luck to Hickey if he does go to Celtic. You only have to look at Tierney (and others) to see where he could end up if he takes Celtic as his next step. If he goes to Bayern, he could be swallowed up in the academy and never make the First Team, go to Celtic, play football and he’ll move on to a team Champions League stature as a First Team player.

49 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Good luck to Hickey if he does go to Celtic. You only have to look at Tierney (and others) to see where he could end up if he takes Celtic as his next step. If he goes to Bayern, he could be swallowed up in the academy and never make the First Team, go to Celtic, play football and he’ll move on to a team Champions League stature as a First Team player.

Whilst I would wish him the best.  Ask this question:

How many other youngsters elsewhere in Europe would pick being an understudy to Greg Taylor or going through the paces with Bayern Munich?

If it goes wrong at Celtic you end up with Preston.  If it goes wrong at Bayern you could end up at Bremen or Hamburg.

Lack of ambition (whether or not that applies to Hickey) is an ongoing problem for young Scottish players.

2 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

How many other youngsters elsewhere in Europe would pick being an understudy to Greg Taylor or going through the paces with Bayern Munich?

If it goes wrong at Celtic you end up with Preston.  If it goes wrong at Bayern you could end up at Bremen or Hamburg.

Lack of ambition (whether or not that applies to Hickey) is an ongoing problem for young Scottish players.

It’s because half of them are thick as shit.  If there isn’t a Nando’s where they can point at the menu, they’ve got no chance.  It’s no coincidence that the very few players from Scotland who do try their luck overseas are, for the most part, the few who can string a coherent sentence together.   I don’t think it’s a lack of ambition so much as a lack of will.

Bayern maybe not the best example but this absolute bollocks about "ambition" because someone signs for an English team or one of the OF instead of some horse shit German or Belgian team is ridiculous, particularly when you chuck in some good old classism as well.

Edited by Marshmallo

This Celtic story is basically just from a single source anyway, but not wanting to move abroad at the age of 17 hardly marks someone out as some sort of uncultured thicko. I decided against a year studying in Spain at 19 because it was a long time to spend away from my girlfriend and because I thought it might be challenging to have to go to lectures in a language that I only spoke to a basic standard.

If you gave me the opportunity to go and live there now for a year, no strings attached and with a job to come back to, then I'd do it, but it infuriates me that football fans make it sound like uprooting everything to go and live in a foreign country is the easiest thing in the world.

53 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This Celtic story is basically just from a single source anyway, but not wanting to move abroad at the age of 17 hardly marks someone out as some sort of uncultured thicko. I decided against a year studying in Spain at 19 because it was a long time to spend away from my girlfriend and because I thought it might be challenging to have to go to lectures in a language that I only spoke to a basic standard.

If you gave me the opportunity to go and live there now for a year, no strings attached and with a job to come back to, then I'd do it, but it infuriates me that football fans make it sound like uprooting everything to go and live in a foreign country is the easiest thing in the world.

I don't think anyone is making it out to be easy.  I do wonder if we counted how many 'world class' players had been created by Celtic versus Bayern Munich in recent decades.

If this does happen, it's just more disappointment.  If Celtic, Rangers, Scotland were creating world class footballers regularly, then fair dos, you stay here.  But we're not.  We don't.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Not even remotely comparable to a young footballer going to the best team in the world. Who will do everything for him and he can move over with whoever he wants.

2 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

While I agree that Hickey has a better chance of an absolutely top career starting at Bayern, I don't think the above is particularly true. There are countless examples of kids going to the big clubs and dropping out of football altogether or ending up quite far down the leagues. Just the other day there Ethan Hamilton left Man United for Peterborough in League 1 for instance. Clearly every player and their eventual outcome is different and Hickey is likely substantially more talented than Hamilton, however you cannot use that supposition to assume that his eventual outcome will definitely be better at Bayern than Celtic. 

For me the general choice is probably something like this: take a very big chance at an absolutely top club to possibly become an absolutely top player or take a more sure bet at a smaller club to have more chance of being a decent to very good player. Personally I would take the Bayern chance, however I am saying that sitting at my computer rather than sitting looking at a £20k per week five year Celtic contract that will make me a millionaire.

2 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

If it goes wrong at Bayern you end up at Celtic anyway.  Its a good point, only a Scottish kid would make this choice as they are raised thinking the Old Firm are important, rather than the third rate clubs they are.

3 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

He should avoid signing for the winners of the Champions League because he might not get a game for them, so if he signs for Celtic instead he might then get a chance to sign for a team capable of winning the Champions League.

You've got to love the Scottish mentality.