Sky Sports are Taking the Piss Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20/01/2022 at 21:14, Clown Job said:

According to that same Twitter account 

I would love it if Sky lost the rights to Scotland games 

The rights are part of the overall package on offer from UEFA. ITV (for England games) and Sky will blow everyone else out of the water. 

Ireland get their games on RTÉ because it’s the law. S4C sub-licence Welsh-language rights from Sky.

I suppose in theory BBC Alba could try to sub-licence Gaelic rights from Sky, but with an overall budget of less than a quarter of S4C’s I don’t think that’s likely. 

Why do folk feel compelled to defend this TV deal?

Last season it shafted fans of most teams (except a couple - guess who!) and they'll once again fail to meet their quota of games this season. They've barely touched any non-OF games since September (maybe two in that period?) and won't until maybe the split, and even then their post-split coverage was embarrassing last season.

Ask yourselves what picture has been painted of Scottish football over the last couple of seasons. What impression can you get of teams and players when they're dominated in every televised game?

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Last season it shafted fans of most teams (except a couple - guess who!) and they'll once again fail to meet their quota of games this season. They've barely touched any non-OF games since September (maybe two in that period?) and won't until maybe the split, and even then their post-split coverage was embarrassing last season.

Ask yourselves what picture has been painted of Scottish football over the last couple of seasons. What impression can you get of teams and players when they're dominated in every televised game?

My memory might be wrong here, but I’m sure they pretty much blanked the relegation fight last season 

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I dont know how it shafted fans of most teams? I'd  rather games at 3 on a Saturday.

I dont know how it shafted fans of most teams? I'd  rather games at 3 on a Saturday.
When no one could go to the football, I'd much rather every Accies away game was on Sky (which I already had) than have to spend an extra £240 on PPV.

Even if Celtic and Rangers fans didn't have a Sky subscription, a NowTV Sports Day Membership is cheaper than all but one of last season's Premiership PPV prices (Rangers'). Celtic of course didn't let any opposition fans legally watch their team last season and the start of this one.

4 minutes ago, Empty It said:
20 hours ago, johnnydun said:
Tbh, I'm quite happy paying my PPV money directly to the away club.
f**k Sky.

Also happy paying directly and supporting the clubs but that'll be taken away in the near future and club TV won't be available for anyone in the UK.

I would like to see what clubs have made from this and if they need a TV deal at all.

46 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

In my 18 years as a Motherwell season ticket holder, I don't think I've ever been able to attend a Saturday 3pm kickoff at home against the Old Firm. Helicopter Sunday was maybe the outlier, and that was a Sunday.

Every time the OF roll into town, season ticket holders/regular fans are affected. Home attendances go down for a whole multitude of factors (other commitments, fed up of travelling fans' shite, etc), which does nothing to sell our game on TV when you tune in for a 12:15 Sunday kick-off to see the stands half empty. Our CEO came out and said in the last week that the OF games see the lowest turnout of season ticket holders by quite some way. On the flip side, the only live games shown from Parkhead/Ibrox are the OF derbies. There is never any danger of crowd numbers being affected for that. Games get pushed back when the OF play in Europe on the Thursday, but they never get broadcast if the game is being played in Glasgow.

Happy to be corrected on any of the above as it's pretty much just first hand experience without doing any sort of research, but it's something that winds me up more than it probably should. I would be quite interested to know if there is any condition in the TV deal that prevents games at Ibrox/Parkhead being shown live. If I were a broadcaster I'd certainly be wanting to show events in those stadiums more than 4 times a season. It's maybe a bit different in England now due to the number of bigger clubs/stadiums there, but can you imagine if you only got to see the big guns playing at Norwich, Brentford and Bournemouth? Wouldn't be quite so glamorous.

I would like to see what clubs have made from this and if they need a TV deal at all.
I'd be 100% more likely to pay for an SPFL TV subscription that covers every game in the SPFL than I would be to purchase a Sky, BT Sport or Premier Sports, unfortunately the OF would probably demand an astronomical amount which means it will never happen.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s also Andy Walker doing co-commentary, so my guess is that they just forgot to change the graphic from the last one used (Rangers v Hearts with Crocker and McFadden was Sky’s last live game). 

Not excusing it, mind you. 

• 1 month later...
It’s funny seeing an employee try to defend Sky’s coverage without actually defending it 

Last night's coverage was pathetic. No pre match build up, no presenters or pundits. Just expecting Crocker and McCoist to do the game. I can't say I'm an Ian Crocker fan but he's got no chance with that level of coverage.

Every other game on Sky got that treatment bar the England one. The contempt anything outwith English football is held in is pretty obvious. I would love it if STV could steal the international rights from Sky.

Am I the only person who doesn't want hours of pre match build up or so called expert analysis and basically just wants to watch 90 minutes of fitba without pundits talking pish.