Sky Sports are Taking the Piss Thread

12 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

it's a shame BT lost it as they at least made a bit of an effort.

I mean, yes and no. Their coverage was good, but it's easy to forget that a) they had the same opportunity to have it and bid less than what they were currently paying for a tranche of games, rather than the whole thing, and b) the first chance they got at an Old Firm game, they did 12 hours of coverage around it, so lets not pretend they did it all for the wee guys.

27 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

the first chance they got at an Old Firm game, they did 12 hours of coverage

That's just fucking sad :(

BT were just more professional than Sky weren't they?

As in they gave non-OF Scottish games proper production efforts, instead of Sky just chucking a couple of random badges onto a placeholder screen for 5 minutes then having the janitor commentate.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

BT were just more professional than Sky weren't they?

As in they gave non-OF Scottish games proper production efforts, instead of Sky just chucking a couple of random badges onto a placeholder screen for 5 minutes then having the janitor commentate.

That actually could have been an interesting listen.

18 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

I guess the biggest problem really, is the only nation we actively try and promote our game to is England, which for several reasons, is never going to work. Instead we should perhaps look to tap into different markets, particularly those with Scottish expats. I know there is some coverage in the likes of the US, Australia etc. and I understand it might be pretty niche, but there's bound to be countries where it could catch on somewhat. Scotland is a country that's almost universally loved, and there are loads of people out there who love the British football culture.

It's a hard sell because ultimately, we're selling a product that isn't the EPL to people who perhaps only like the EPL. But somehow I feel you're more likely to appeal to foreign markets as o pposed to England. We can promise the full 'British football experience' just sadly without the big money and big talent. Like I say, it's a hard sell, but I'm sure some marketing boffins out there could do it.

Ive posted a link to this before, but can't just now as I'm using my phone and can't do for some reason. But, if you type list of brocastes for the SPFL by country you should get a wiki page. There is loads of countries that show our football. I'm sure Sky make a few quid for selling it to them.

2 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Ive posted a link to this before, but can't just now as I'm using my phone and can't do for some reason. But, if you type list of brocastes for the SPFL by country you should get a wiki page. There is loads of countries that show our football. I'm sure Sky make a few quid for selling it to them.

Interesting to see how many countries on that list, but I wonder how up to date it is, or how much games actually get shown. I've been to Germany a number of times and never seen Scottish football on Sport1. Don't doubt they maybe show the odd game here and there but again, that's maybe something we can look to improve in itself. 

37 minutes ago, Connor1874 said:

Interesting to see how many countries on that list, but I wonder how up to date it is, or how much games actually get shown. I've been to Germany a number of times and never seen Scottish football on Sport1. Don't doubt they maybe show the odd game here and there but again, that's maybe something we can look to improve in itself. 

How many games is the question. But to say Scottish football is not outthere is Wong. It the promotion of the game. Unfortunately SKY will never promote our game. That's the problem 

On 05/04/2023 at 12:03, Connor1874 said:

I guess the biggest problem really, is the only nation we actively try and promote our game to is England, which for several reasons, is never going to work. Instead we should perhaps look to tap into different markets, particularly those with Scottish expats.

England is full of Scottish ex-pats, which is something the BBC choose to totally ignore.

5 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

How many games is the question. But to say Scottish football is not outthere is Wong. It the promotion of the game. Unfortunately SKY will never promote our game. That's the problem 

I know that overseas coverage does exist, but like you point out, its how many games is the big question. The Old Firm, Cup finals and maybe some other derbies are probably quite accessible from across the globe, but again that's a huge problem within itself. Scottish football seems to be quite happy with only drawing attention 4 or 5 times a season. It's really selling the full package that we need to work on.

1 hour ago, Charles Stiles said:

England is full of Scottish ex-pats, which is something the BBC choose to totally ignore.

That's true. Although plenty people in England who support a Scottish club still come up and watch their team most weeks so don't necessarily rely on the coverage as much.

9 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Sky don't own the international rights to sell them, the SPFL do.

6 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

Clubs, generally, are quite resistant to there being more than one game a weekend being shown.

14 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

It switched a couple of years ago from Sport1 (free to air) to its sister channel Sport1+ (requires a ± €10 monthly subscription).

Most bars don't have it, they already need Sky, DAZN & Amazon Prime. Another subscription for the sake of OF games and OF away games isn't appealing.

The big "Irish" bars will have some (OF) scottish games via a Sky UK "expat" package.

1 hour ago, German Jag said:

The big "Irish" bars will have some (OF) scottish games via a Sky UK "expat" package.

90% going on my straw poll currently have the expat package as domiciles.

@thisGRAEME is it usually Sky’s cameras or an independent third party? While they may not hold the rights surely a cut of the fee the SPFL earn per region is funnelled to those who facilitate the coverage.

Don’t know if you have an idea of the numbers involved but do all the cuts cover the production or do Sky need to top it up with some of their advertising/sub revenues.

6 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

90% going on my straw poll currently have the expat package as domiciles.

@thisGRAEME is it usually Sky’s cameras or an independent third party? While they may not hold the rights surely a cut of the fee the SPFL earn per region is funnelled to those who facilitate the coverage.

Don’t know if you have an idea of the numbers involved but do all the cuts cover the production or do Sky need to top it up with some of their advertising/sub revenues.

All grounds have a standard camera set up so that all games can be broadcast in the same way. Sky tend to add in another pair of cameras themselves. Production is the league's main expense, iirc.

In terms of funnelled to those that facilitate it, I mean, yeah. They're paid for producing the games, and that comes out of the collective pot of all the fees and money the league accumulates.

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

*Bump*

The selection of fixtures for the post split fixtures are as boring, uninspired and predictable as expected.

Did Sky use their allocation of games this season? Does anyone have a break down of Sky games per ground?

I doubt they used anywhere near their allotted fixtures. The lack of bottom 6 games is dreadful and the top 6 ones are just standard Old Firm fair.

Apparently we haven't been on a live Sky away game since 2011!