Motherwell's one stop short holiday

Busta Nut

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Carson saved 3 against Stranraer and it wasn't enough...

I appreciate the low effort of this tweet

Heard it lads

WE GO AGAIN!!!

Not sure Lamie balling at the top of his voice right in Trev's ears would have been overly welcome....

2 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

That would be a laugh. Imagine if it was Us and Aberdeen as the only representatives in the Europa League group stages.

You will never have a better chance of getting to the play off round. It’s always one round too much for us, unless Sporting forfeit the tie.

2 minutes ago, Al B said:

Robbo in his post-match..."We're in the next round of Europe which is the furthest we've ever got"

Apart from the times where we got further, obviously.

We've been in the playoffs twice - and it was after the Europa League rebrand, so seems a pretty weird thing to say...

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You will never have a better chance of getting to the play off round. It’s always one round too much for us, unless Sporting forfeit the tie.

Well, we had a better chance when we got the 3rd Round Champions League spot back in 2012. I hope we make it but tonight's game has shot all of that hope to hell.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, he's said that a couple of times and I thought it seemed odd. I take it he's meaning going through to a 3rd tie if the furthest we've got.

Eg: the play-off we beat Llanelli, Flamutari and were put out out by Steau.

This time we'll have went through against Glentoran, Coleraine and get put out by Hapoel.

I thought maybe he was referring to the playoff draw tomorrow, just came out the wrong way.

18 minutes ago, Swello said:

We've been in the playoffs twice - and it was after the Europa League rebrand, so seems a pretty weird thing to say...

I'll try that again.

I take it he's meaning that going through to a third round of fixtures is the furthest we've got.

*clears throat* eg: the play-off season we went through against Briedabik, Aalesund and were put out by Odense.

This time we'll have gone through against Glentoran, Coleraine before being put out by Hapoel.

7 minutes ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

I thought maybe he was referring to the playoff draw tomorrow, just came out the wrong way.

Nah he was talking about it in his press-conference yesterday as well.

Also as you can tell from that post you've quoted I fucked it there - that wasn't the play-off round Steau put us out.

Edited by capt_oats

As an aside, how does our progress so far in Europe compare to what you would have expected before the campaign began? Personally I think we've matched my own expectations in reaching QR2, and arguably even surpassed them by getting to QR3. There's some seriously formidable teams in the qualifying round next week (Hapoel, Copenhagen, Steaua Bucharest and even Spurs) so certainly no shame in getting beat by Hapoel, or exiting at that stage.

Well that was chronic. Sure the pitch was awful and the ref even worse but neither should have been allowed to be an issue after going comfortably 2 goals in front. Both penalties were not only in the soft category at least one if not both were in the WTF category. Wee baldy p***k.

Love big Trev. He has a poor record saving penalties and then goes and saves 3 in a row. Deserves a medal. 

Glad to be thru but after tonight do not expect us to get any further. Decent wedge and helps coefficient but in all honesty that was a painful watch. 

Robbo being brave in post match interview but he must be raging. I suspect club budgeted for us to go out this evening as we were likely to have been non seeded. So there is that I guess. 

Edited by welldaft

2 hours ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

As an aside, how does our progress so far in Europe compare to what you would have expected before the campaign began? Personally I think we've matched my own expectations in reaching QR2, and arguably even surpassed them by getting to QR3. There's some seriously formidable teams in the qualifying round next week (Hapoel, Copenhagen, Steaua Bucharest and even Spurs) so certainly no shame in getting beat by Hapoel, or exiting at that stage.

I expect us to win games where we are seeded. We got a big break in making the seeded pot in this round and it would have been awful to lose vs coleraine and not take advantage of the favourable situation.

I don't expect us to win in Israel but i expect us to try and win and not put in a timid performance.

Despite going through I'm still absolutely livid after that performance last night.

The pitch or the ref is no excuse for that second half/extra time performance. Regardless of us going through, serious questions need to be asked of the whole team.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Celtic will absolutely murder whichever of the jobbers they face next week.

I was just thinking that. I’d actually expect Celtic to make the group stage.

6 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I expect us to win games where we are seeded. We got a big break in making the seeded pot in this round and it would have been awful to lose vs coleraine and not take advantage of the favourable situation.

I don't expect us to win in Israel but i expect us to try and win and not put in a timid performance.

This is where I always am. Other than that Icelandic farce (Sjarnan) we've always done that. Won when seeded, lost when not in the last decade or so. That's always been a bit of a frustration for me, that we've never taken that step and got a proper scalp in Europe. Sometimes, the gulf is just too big (Panathinaikos, Levante, Steaua etc) but there's been at least one occasion (hiya Odense, hiya c***s!) where we had enough to get through. 

Do we have enough to get through next week? An outside chance I'd say, but play anything like we did in the second half last night and we'll lose by 5.