COVID-19 In Scottish Football

22 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Imagine not being investigated for not breaking any rules, the utter cheek of it.

You must be pleased at your team being on a jolly after such a good campaign this season, if only the rest of us could go on holiday at this time and sit by a pool with mates.

While I dont think its a good look for Celtic, and hope they all come back with muscle injuries putting most of them out for next Monday etc, I am unsure why there are some people looking for an investigation or heids on a stick.

It was clearly sanctioned, they didnt just piss off without mentioning it.

With Witty talking about restrictions next winter, no doubt Leitch will be spouting the same on radio Scotland soon.

Can the league even start next season or should clubs be mothballed next summer until there are guarantees of normality?

8 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

With Witty talking about restrictions next winter, no doubt Leitch will be spouting the same on radio Scotland soon.

Can the league even start next season or should clubs be mothballed next summer until there are guarantees of normality?

If the league can start this season, it can definitely start next season.

Just now, realmadrid said:

where is the revenue going to come from?

How many fans will buy a season ticket, knowing they cannot get to games?

The same number who bought one this season under exactly the same circumstances.

Won’t investigate the thing that they stupidly approved, funny that. :lol:

As much as Celtic are scummy arseholes, all they did was take advantage of loopholes that should have been closed off. But the people run the game in this country are too scared to tell them no (like the Queen of the South board were presumably too scared to tell Galloway he could no longer come), and now they’re too scared to hold their hands up and admit they shouldn’t have let Lenny and pals f**k off to Dubai. Laughable.

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

The same number who bought one this season under exactly the same circumstances.

When fans thought they were getting into grounds in October.

Some clubs also made promises , which I think they will forget about your ticket giving you 19 games in person. Thats just not going to be possible

Looking at your own club are you going to pay £500 for a ticket you cannot use but that gives you access to Rangers TV or £9.99 per game for exactly the same service? As the economy grinds to a halt a few will pick the later. 

It would be quite a funny investigation to be fair.

"Can you please explain your trip to Dubai? Wasn't very clever, was it?"

"Well we approached the JRG about it and they said it was fine"

"Ah yes but..."

"But what, the SPFL moved a game for it. Hibs rejected it and you insisted, remember?"

"Yes but Nicola Stur..."

"See you later, lads"

3 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

When fans thought they were getting into grounds in October.

Some clubs also made promises , which I think they will forget about your ticket giving you 19 games in person. Thats just not going to be possible

Looking at your own club are you going to pay £500 for a ticket you cannot use but that gives you access to Rangers TV or £9.99 per game for exactly the same service? As the economy grinds to a halt a few will pick the later. 

Fans are not stupid - I'm pretty sure everyone knew when they bought their ST that there was a reasonable chance they'd never see the inside of the ground this season. And in any case, it's not guaranteed that the season will conclude without fans. If the vaccine rollout is quick enough, and the virus is suppressed enough, there's every chance supporters could get back in.

As for the clubs who made the 19 game promise, that's on them to sort out with their own supporters. I think the clubs that handle it well might find their fans are willing to write off at least some of those games.

Whether we acknowledge it or not, deep down we all know that we're simply paying to keep the club going and getting very little in return for it. A streaming service is nowhere near a substitute for a ticket.

Easy to say with hindsight now, but Scottish football fans should have organised in the summer and made it clear that ST purchases would be in exchange for some degree of control over the running of the club.

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

Fans are not stupid - I'm pretty sure everyone knew when they bought their ST that there was a reasonable chance they'd never see the inside of the ground this season. And in any case, it's not guaranteed that the season will conclude without fans. If the vaccine rollout is quick enough, and the virus is suppressed enough, there's every chance supporters could get back in.

As for the clubs who made the 19 game promise, that's on them to sort out with their own supporters. I think the clubs that handle it well might find their fans are willing to write off at least some of those games.

Whether we acknowledge it or not, deep down we all know that we're simply paying to keep the club going and getting very little in return for it. A streaming service is nowhere near a substitute for a ticket.

Easy to say with hindsight now, but Scottish football fans should have organised in the summer and made it clear that ST purchases would be in exchange for some degree of control over the running of the club.

I dont think there is any chance of any fans being in any stadiums in Scotland for the remainder of this season, Witty let slip in yesterdays briefing that the lockdown in England may last until April and restrictions until at least July.  Scotland has been way more cautious than England all through this so I can see the season starting with a 300 limit if your in tier 1 and the rest of us locked out again.

Then when the comment was made about "further restrictions will be required next winter" what ever that was meant to mean could indicate that everything with regards to football will remain the same for all of 2021.

The 19 game promise was silly but I guess at the time clubs needed the money.

The advantage a club like Rangers have is that season tickets sell out, if you don't renew when fans do eventually get back you might lose your seat. For the rest of us thats not going to happen. I certainly can see the other 40 clubs in the league downsizing and a few more going part time for a couple of years to get over this.

8 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

I dont think there is any chance of any fans being in any stadiums in Scotland for the remainder of this season, Witty let slip in yesterdays briefing that the lockdown in England may last until April and restrictions until at least July.  Scotland has been way more cautious than England all through this so I can see the season starting with a 300 limit if your in tier 1 and the rest of us locked out again.

Then when the comment was made about "further restrictions will be required next winter" what ever that was meant to mean could indicate that everything with regards to football will remain the same for all of 2021.

The 19 game promise was silly but I guess at the time clubs needed the money.

The advantage a club like Rangers have is that season tickets sell out, if you don't renew when fans do eventually get back you might lose your seat. For the rest of us thats not going to happen. I certainly can see the other 40 clubs in the league downsizing and a few more going part time for a couple of years to get over this.

Whitty is likely managing expectations. The timescale for stadium return depends entirely on how quickly the vaccine gets rolled out, which at the moment is dependent entirely on how quickly we can suppress the virus and reduce hospital numbers. At the moment it's pretty much impossible to say when we get back, which is why I don't think we can rule out May.

The part about further restrictions may have more to do with keeping hospitals free of COVID if we aren't fully vaccinated by then. But who the hell knows what he meant - it's pointless trying to read into these things because we haven't got a clue.

That happens at Rangers and Celtic aye, but Rangers are already transitioning towards fans having a degree of control anyway. But the supporters trusts for the other 40 teams had a real opportunity to bargain for a shareholding in return when giving up their money. I understand why it didn't happen, but it was an ideal time IMO. The less parasites we have running football clubs, the better.

25 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It would be quite a funny investigation to be fair.

"Can you please explain your trip to Dubai? Wasn't very clever, was it?"

"Well we approached the JRG about it and they said it was fine"

"Ah yes but..."

"But what, the SPFL moved a game for it. Hibs rejected it and you insisted, remember?"

"Yes but Nicola Stur..."

"See you later, lads"

Yeah, they could also ask the following though:

"Did you follow the JRG's rules and stay out of common areas such as the hotel bar, lounge and lobby?"

"Did you follow social distancing / mask rules at all times?"

"Was the permission from 12 November rechecked and confirmed after Christmas/around New Year when the rules were tightened by either party? If not, why not?"

The JRG could also ask themselves: "are we fit for purpose, or have we f*cked this up and enabled Celtic to bend the rules for a completely non-essential trip, bringing the game into disrepute?"