COVID-19 In Scottish Football

9 minutes ago, G51 said:

Whitty is likely managing expectations. The timescale for stadium return depends entirely on how quickly the vaccine gets rolled out, which at the moment is dependent entirely on how quickly we can suppress the virus and reduce hospital numbers. At the moment it's pretty much impossible to say when we get back, which is why I don't think we can rule out May.

The part about further restrictions may have more to do with keeping hospitals free of COVID if we aren't fully vaccinated by then. But who the hell knows what he meant - it's pointless trying to read into these things because we haven't got a clue.

That happens at Rangers and Celtic aye, but Rangers are already transitioning towards fans having a degree of control anyway. But the supporters trusts for the other 40 teams had a real opportunity to bargain for a shareholding in return when giving up their money. I understand why it didn't happen, but it was an ideal time IMO. The less parasites we have running football clubs, the better.

Possibly and as if by magic a letter comes through my door from the Scottish Government and NHS Scotland with the line

"Even with a vaccine, Scotland will face some restrictions for the foreseeable future"

Why if they vaccinate everyone do we then still need to live under restrictions?

Edited by realmadrid

1 minute ago, realmadrid said:

Possibly and as if by magic a letter comes through my door from the Scottish Government and NHS Scotland with the line

"Even with a vaccine, Scotland will face some restrictions for the foreseeable future"

Why if they vaccinate everyone do we then still need to live under restrictions?

That's a question I don't know the answer to.

Yeah, they could also ask the following though:
"Did you follow the JRG's rules and stay out of common areas such as the hotel bar, lounge and lobby?"
"Did you follow social distancing / mask rules at all times?"
"Was the permission from 12 November rechecked and confirmed after Christmas/around New Year when the rules were tightened by either party? If not, why not?"
The JRG could also ask themselves: "are we fit for purpose, or have we f*cked this up and enabled Celtic to bend the rules for a completely non-essential trip, bringing the game into disrepute?"

^^^ Karen

6 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

The vaccine isn't 100% effective, so there will have to be some restrictions initially to ensure that the disease is adequately stamped out.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The vaccine isn't 100% effective, so there will have to be some restrictions initially to ensure that the disease is adequately stamped out.

For how long. I cannot see people or businesses putting up with this for "the foreseeable future"

its almost as if the likes of Witty and Leitch don't want their 5 minutes of fame to end.

14 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

I dont think there is any chance of any fans being in any stadiums in Scotland for the remainder of this season, Witty let slip in yesterdays briefing that the lockdown in England may last until April and restrictions until at least July.  Scotland has been way more cautious than England all through this so I can see the season starting with a 300 limit if your in tier 1 and the rest of us locked out again.

Then when the comment was made about "further restrictions will be required next winter" what ever that was meant to mean could indicate that everything with regards to football will remain the same for all of 2021.

The 19 game promise was silly but I guess at the time clubs needed the money.

The advantage a club like Rangers have is that season tickets sell out, if you don't renew when fans do eventually get back you might lose your seat. For the rest of us thats not going to happen. I certainly can see the other 40 clubs in the league downsizing and a few more going part time for a couple of years to get over this.

I've been wondering about this as well, the notion from some seems to be that getting fans back will save the day but there's long standing damage done by this and could see clubs going under 3-4 seasons down the line simply because they couldn't continue to fight the losing battle financially. Particularly at risk is if the club that goes down from the Premiership has taken the gov loan, if they then fail to return to the Premiership for a few seasons, like Dundee & United for example they could be in serious trouble, especially if then next season we kick off again without fans. Using my own club as an example, St. Johnstone fans are generally not the youngest group of fans. Aside from the hardcore among the older generation I cant see many renewing their season tickets again next to watch from home - particularly if the current football and results being served up now to continues. 

I know I'm digressing a bit now but something has to be done to try and protect the part time clubs as well and seeing your *bold* point above made me bring it up again. Its something i've been wondering even even before the pandemic while admittedly far from an expert in the area as well i must admit, I've always questioned why below the Championship we dont have a more regionalised system. I cant see past the fact we *could* have as example Berwick v Peterhead midweek in the winter months, part time footballers, travelling stupid number of miles on a Wednesday - stupid. 

I appreciate though clubs don't want to be playing the same teams again and again either but they should try and do something now to protect those clubs. Just as an example: in regional levels top divisions of 10 to 12 playing each other twice, top 4 go into a play off with the top 4 from the other region, mini league or playoff or something to determine promotion into the non regionalised league. 

I wasn't particularly keen on mad for reconstruction in the top leagues but surely to protect the clubs getting basically zero tv money and their income coming from fans alone something needs get as many fans in as possible when they can return, even if it just a few % more than normal as every penny counts, as if we don't we could lose a few especially if the lower leagues end up being stopped once again and the LAST thing we want to see is any club disappearing. 

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That cant possibly be the answer.  Surely its further proof they have no idea what they are doing, hate football blah blah blah

Just now, realmadrid said:

For how long. I cannot see people or businesses putting up with this for "the foreseeable future"

its almost as if the likes of Witty and Leitch don't want their 5 minutes of fame to end.

I think "some restrictions" will amount to stuff like wearing masks or self-isolating if you have symptoms, rather than anything close to what we have now.

17 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

The JRG could also ask themselves: "are we fit for purpose, or have we f*cked this up and enabled Celtic to bend the rules for a completely non-essential trip, bringing the game into disrepute?"

The mere fact that the JRG deem that the WoSFL (former juniors ) to be professional teams deems them not fit for purpose 

9 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I've been wondering about this as well, the notion from some seems to be that getting fans back will save the day but there's long standing damage done by this and could see clubs going under 3-4 seasons down the line simply because they couldn't continue to fight the losing battle financially. Particularly at risk is if the club that goes down from the Premiership has taken the gov loan, if they then fail to return to the Premiership for a few seasons, like Dundee & United for example they could be in serious trouble, especially if then next season we kick off again without fans. Using my own club as an example, St. Johnstone fans are generally not the youngest group of fans. Aside from the hardcore among the older generation I cant see many renewing their season tickets again next to watch from home - particularly if the current football and results being served up now to continues. 

My Dad has had a season ticket since 80-81 first at Muirton then at McDiarmid. He's already indicated to me he's only watched half the streamed home games and probably won't bother with a season ticket until all fans can return. 

The concern should also be at the other end, the younger fans who just will be lost to the game, no one is going to get into football by watching their first games online, its the going to the game and I guess things like school visits all of which the clubs will need to push when its safe and when they are allowed to do so. 

Edited by realmadrid

Even by the standards of P&B this is a truly moronic statement

On 05/01/2021 at 10:38, ahemps said:

I don't want to see football stopped and I would argue that it shouldn't but shutting schools and asking people to remain in their house while allowing non-professional/part time football to continue doesn't match up. Every time you go down a level it makes less sense. Maybe play Championship but leagues 1 and 2? Lowland league? Juniors, really?

As you have said, the example of a teacher who can't go to work but can play and train for the likes of Bo'ness 2-3 times a week. When gyms and leisure activities are shut to all yet at that level where they are basically glorified amateurs really doesn't make sense in the new situation.

Whilst I may agree with the sentiment, just for clarity, schools ARE NOT closed. The teacher will STILL be going into work under the current situation. The teachers are doing the remote learning from the classrooms and children of key workers will still be going into school (like my son) along with kids from vulnerable backgrounds.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

When fans thought they were getting into grounds in October.

Some clubs also made promises , which I think they will forget about your ticket giving you 19 games in person. Thats just not going to be possible

Looking at your own club are you going to pay £500 for a ticket you cannot use but that gives you access to Rangers TV or £9.99 per game for exactly the same service? As the economy grinds to a halt a few will pick the later. 

I bought my season ticket NOT expecting to be in the ground. I bought my season ticket to support the club and keep it in existence. No refunds expected nor wanted.

I'll be doing the same for next season. Not saying everyone else should, its their choice to do what they wish with their money depending on their own personal circumstances.

15 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Whilst I may agree with the sentiment, just for clarity, schools ARE NOT closed. The teacher will STILL be going into work under the current situation. The teachers are doing the remote learning from the classrooms and children of key workers will still be going into school (like my son) along with kids from vulnerable backgrounds.

Swap teacher for non-essential office worker then. The point being that someone may not be able to go to work but can play for Gala Fairydean or Cumberland colts doesn't make sense.

My personal view is that football should continue and people should be able to exercise in safe areas (gyms included). All I'm saying is that under the new restrictions it is a huge exaggeration to call these players elite sportsmen.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

It would be quite a funny investigation to be fair.

"Can you please explain your trip to Dubai? Wasn't very clever, was it?"

"Well we approached the JRG about it and they said it was fine"

"Ah yes but..."

"But what, the SPFL moved a game for it. Hibs rejected it and you insisted, remember?"

"Yes but Nicola Stur..."

"See you later, lads"

SFA Peter just can't compete with celtic Peter.

2 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I know I'm digressing a bit now but something has to be done to try and protect the part time clubs as well and seeing your *bold* point above made me bring it up again. Its something i've been wondering even even before the pandemic while admittedly far from an expert in the area as well i must admit, I've always questioned why below the Championship we dont have a more regionalised system. I cant see past the fact we *could* have as example Berwick v Peterhead midweek in the winter months, part time footballers, travelling stupid number of miles on a Wednesday - stupid. 

I appreciate though clubs don't want to be playing the same teams again and again either but they should try and do something now to protect those clubs. Just as an example: in regional levels top divisions of 10 to 12 playing each other twice, top 4 go into a play off with the top 4 from the other region, mini league or playoff or something to determine promotion into the non regionalised league. 

I wasn't particularly keen on mad for reconstruction in the top leagues but surely to protect the clubs getting basically zero tv money and their income coming from fans alone something needs get as many fans in as possible when they can return, even if it just a few % more than normal as every penny counts, as if we don't we could lose a few especially if the lower leagues end up being stopped once again and the LAST thing we want to see is any club disappearing. 

If you really want to kill off lower league football then regionalisation is the way to go, given that fans have repeatedly said they don't want it and would not support it.

Berwick won't be travelling to Peterhead any time soon incidentally.

Also no way will clubs survive without fans next season.

Clubs are struggling to get through this season and we'll only just make it without losing any teams.

However, the losses are not sustainable for many clubs for any longer. As was pointed out numerous times over the summer but is being missed again, hospitality plays a huge part for teams in terms in income. That and no other matchday revenue would make next season impossible for a lot of clubs.