COVID-19 In Scottish Football

14 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Do they have to be? If, by September, every adult in the UK has been vaccinated, I cannot see the reasoning for not allowing fans back into the ground as normal. Extra hand sanitiser, maybe a seat apart if capacity outstrips attendance, but what would be the reason for being overly cautious?

The SNP's attitude towards football (at times ranging from mild dislike to outright hostility) has made me pretty anxious that they won't be making sensible decisions, and if anything liking the control they have over clubs in dictating when and how many they can allow in.

There is not a chance every adult in the UK will be vaccinated by September. Even if we are, that's next season. Based on that of course they have to be cautious.

I'd love to be able to go back to the football. Not so much that I'd be willing to risk another spike.

Edited by Merkland Red

willy the liar veering in to deep propaganda territory that would have North Korea inhaling sharply through their teeth.

I reckon if he could, willy the liar would have everyone on this thread executed for daring to question Lennon and Celtic.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

willy the liar veering in to deep propaganda territory that would have North Korea inhaling sharply through their teeth.

I reckon if he could, willy the liar would have everyone on this thread executed for daring to question Lennon and Celtic.

This has feck all to do with football bawbag,you seem to have a problem separating the two.

The SNP's attitude towards football (at times ranging from mild dislike to outright hostility) has made me pretty anxious that they won't be making sensible decisions, and if anything liking the control they have over clubs in dictating when and how many they can allow in.

I think they have been unduly lenient tbh.
Frankly football is not an essential business and is lucky to be operating whilst more commercial businesses are closing across the country.....

16 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

There is not a chance every adult in the UK will be vaccinated by September. Even if we are, that's next season. Based on that of course they have to be cautious.

I'd love to be able to go back to the football. Not so much that I'd be willing to risk another spike.

Sorry, I said nothing about this season and fully expect football to be wrapped up in May without another fan entering through a turnstile.

I'm talking about next season (2021/22).

As for the September vaccine target, well they're on target for mid February at the minute and it's not an impossibility. They've put the target on their back, that's for sure:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/17/all-adults-uk-offered-coronavirus-vaccine-september

2 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Sorry, I said nothing about this season and fully expect football to be wrapped up in May without another fan entering through a turnstile.

As for the September vaccine target, well they're on target for mid February at the minute and it's not an impossibility. They've put the target on their back, that's for sure:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/17/all-adults-uk-offered-coronavirus-vaccine-september

That's a newer update than I've seen. Thanks for that. The calculator seems to have taken mine in sooner too.

Well if everyone is vaccinated by then I'd presume we'll have seen the slow roll out of 'back to normal'. I did say I thought your first post was spot on but that I was of the opinion the govt should be cautious.

How long do we reckon it's going to be until fans are allowed back in the ground as normal (ie. February 2020) with no restrictions on attendance etc.?
I fear the overcautiousness of the SG means we'll spend August and September 2021 having 'test events' of about 1000, 2000 fans. Then we hit October and, out of fear of the NHS collapsing again, tiered restrictions are brought back in and we're lucky to have normal football grounds by the spring of 2022.
I'd love to hear otherwise to help ease my completely unfounded fears.

We do a lot of modelling of the pandemic at work - it has infection levels in April being back at or below the level of September which was when we were opening things up.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

What did he say that’s relevant to his comments just now? Did he criticise other teams during that “rant”?

The government are watching the numbers within the game just waiting to close it down.
Football has put protocols in place to hopefully reduce the numbers.
Clubs have a pop at the governing bodies that the protocols are not good enough when football people catch it.
The governing bodies put harsher punishments in place for breaches  (3 points and 3-0 wins) it's no longer a sporting contest.
Managers go on rants because they can't pick players that catch the virus having a direct impact on the result plus one manager said it was a part of his decision for leaving his club.
Neil Lennon has a rant and it's totally different from the rest fecking gees piece.

At the current rate of vaccinations it should take about 180 odd days for everyone to get their first jab.
Speed of vaccinations is only going to increase as they come out of the more logistically problematic care homes.

Obviously the second jabs will have to be done too but I don't think September is overly optimistic.

Clearly all of the above depends on both the virus playing ball and stocks of the vaccines.

2 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

At the current rate of vaccinations it should take about 180 odd days for everyone to get their first jab.
Speed of vaccinations is only going to increase as they come out of the more logistically problematic care homes.

Obviously the second jabs will have to be done too but I don't think September is overly optimistic.

Clearly all of the above depends on both the virus playing ball and stocks of the vaccines.

I hadn't seen the latest figures before I made that post. Hibsfan posted a link in reply 👍🏻

22 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The government are watching the numbers within the game just waiting to close it down.
Football has put protocols in place to hopefully reduce the numbers.
Clubs have a pop at the governing bodies that the protocols are not good enough when football people catch it.
The governing bodies put harsher punishments in place for breaches  (3 points and 3-0 wins) it's no longer a sporting contest.
Managers go on rants because they can't pick players that catch the virus having a direct impact on the result plus one manager said it was a part of his decision for leaving his club.
Neil Lennon has a rant and it's totally different from the rest fecking gees piece.

You’ve completely ignored my question. I asked what comments Goodwin made back when he never had a keeper available that criticised other clubs?

Thats the difference between Lennon’s comments and Goodwin’s comments.

I’d be surprised if we were in the stadiums in 2021. Maybe a couple of hundred masked up and spaced out like we had a couple of months ago if any region gets back to tier one.

Hopefully early 2022 we will see some return to normal.

12 minutes ago, AJF said:

You’ve completely ignored my question. I asked what comments Goodwin made back when he never had a keeper available that criticised other clubs?

Thats the difference between Lennon’s comments and Goodwin’s comments.

Goodwin criticized the SPFL Lennon criticized the whole mythical bubble again I've got no problem with what he said or any other manager that isn't happy with the umbrella they're working under. 

Please understand the difference between vaccine efficacy (which measures how effective a vaccine is at providing immunity) and the effect of a vaccine on rate of transmission (which relates to whether those injected with a vaccine will transmit COVID to others). They are not the same. The first is a necessity, the second is a bonus.
If the vaccine had no impact whatsoever on transmission, it wouldn't be that big of a problem. We'd just all get coronavirus every so often and brush it off after a few days, like we do with a cold. COVID would become endemic. It would likely mutate very quickly, and we'd have to have regular COVID vaccines, but it wouldn't be a major deal.
However, if it does have an impact on transmission, then there's less COVID kicking about, which means it has less opportunity to mutate, which means it's much less of a hassle.
The video you're posting relates to transmission, not vaccine efficacy.
The most recent news on vaccine efficacy, released tonight, is overwhelmingly positive and backs the stance taken by the UK's vaccine regulator to delay the second dose: https://www.ft.com/content/4d9fe80d-e604-4bbe-b0f8-fd4b8df9b7f1

@G51 Imagine quoting from the FT to support your point! Surely google or Siri or some of the social media sites would be far more accurate.

32 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Goodwin criticized the SPFL Lennon criticized the whole mythical bubble again I've got no problem with what he said or any other manager that isn't happy with the umbrella they're working under. 

No, Lennon criticised other clubs and went as far as singling them out and naming them.