EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

14 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Only signed to sell shirts.

I think everyone new that at the time. From a commercial point of view it strengthens Liverpool’s position in the Japanese market and opens sponsorship and tour opportunities there too.

He is an absolutely honking player though - Salzburg done well to work the £7m release clause into his contract.

7 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Correct. There's a number of rules which are poor. This is just another of these.

I'm very surprised an EPL level defender didn't know this was a rule when I was aware of it in amateur football several years ago.

It's crazy, it's one thing to debate the decision by saying whether it is or isn't allowed within the laws of the game because you've interpreted it differently, but for Mings to admit that he's 'never even heard of that rule' just show the average level of knowledge of the laws of the game amongst players and coaches.

I wasn't fully aware of how this should be interpreted myself, but I don't earn a living from football. It's crazy that people at that level do not have a full understanding of the most fundamental laws in the game. You hear it all the time with players and managers after games criticising perfectly good decisions because the decision doesn't fit in with their mistaken knowledge of the laws. You'd think a defender knowing how the offside law works might be quite important. I can't think of any other sport, or even trade, where people get by with such little knowledge of their own speciality.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

26 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It's crazy, it's one thing to debate the decision by saying whether it is or isn't allowed within the laws of the game because you've interpreted it differently, but for Mings to admit that he's 'never even heard of that rule' just show the average level of knowledge of the laws of the game amongst players and coaches.

I wasn't fully aware of how this should be interpreted myself, but I don't earn a living from football. It's crazy that people at that level do not have a full understanding of the most fundamental laws in the game. You hear it all the time with players and managers after games criticising perfectly good decisions because the decision doesn't fit in with their mistaken knowledge of the laws. You'd think a defender knowing how the offside law works might be quite important. I can't think of any other sport, or even trade, where people get by with such little knowledge of their own speciality.

Exactly. I'm also certain that they have meetings with the officials to explain any rule changes at the beginning of each season.

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It’s mental.   To come out publicly and state you don’t know the basic requirements of your job and not expect any consequences.

Given how many backroom staff clubs carry at that level to tell players exactly what to eat etc it seems incredible that they don’t have someone about keeping them right about what the actual rules of the game they are playing are.

6 hours ago, Leewood said:

I guess his (Watkins)   right leg might be offiside there,  BUT  that would be ridiculous if that was chalked off!

Offside should only be for blatant offside

No. Offsides should be for offside. 

He wasn't given offside because the Newcastle defender touched the ball, so they didn't even check the lines. Which is a bollocks rule because the Newcastle player wouldn't have touched it if Watkins wasn't there.

Still, think he was level with the ball when it was crossed anyway, regardless of where the BBC decide to draw the lines.

Seems like a few Newcastle fans will have lost money at the bookies as Lampard set to beat Bruce in the race to the dole queue.

Not sure who they would go for. The Southampton manager whose name I have forgotten is the only England-based candidate I can think of that might tempt them.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

The free pass Lampard got from the press was ridiculous. The Lampard defenders amongst the media already appearing to bleat about how he should be given more time 

Lampard spent £220m in the summer and yet they are worse than they were last season. That's as clear grounds for a sacking as you're likely to see. 

Edited by Michael W

I think he did pretty well to finish top four considering they weren't allowed to sign someone. They've definitely gone backwards though, and few of his signings look impressive. He can't have many complaints about getting the boot. They look further away from title contention than at any time this century. Currently longer odds than Everton or Villa.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa